TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 119: Test Track closure announced, new concept art released!

Wow, I have to disagree with pretty much all of you on this one. I don't think its really that big of a deal to come back within a pre-designated hour that you can usually plan for far in advance. Disney parks are huge and everything, but when I went with my friends last Spring we only had three days to get through all four parks, and yet we still did it no problem and still abiding by the FastPass and riding basically everything.

And the FastPass system wasn't created entirely for the guests' benefit you know. Disney wants as few people in line for attractions as possible at any given time because the longer you aren't in line for a ride, the more likely you are to spend money in the park.

Oh, and it wasn't created so the people who just wanted to ride rides could do so, it was created so everyone could ride what they wanted to without needing to give up time just walking around the park and stuff, which families do quite a bit. By skipping your time and going back later you are screwing up their system and making other guests wait (possibly much) longer when they wouldn't have had to if everyone came back when they were supposed to. I just think it's a bit inconsiderate I guess.

^Exactly. You get a FastPass and it has a time window on it. If you can't plan your next moves around coming back during that period, then don't get the pass. It's as easy as that.

Disagree. You are not making a reservation at a restaurant. You do not get to pick your return time, it's almost arbitrary what time even get.

And to the people who claiming it's easy to get around these enormous, crowded parks, are you going with children? I have hard time believing that a family of five can manage three small and making a bunch of reservations in the middle of the afternoon.

If this was actually a problem, they would have changed the policy ten years ago. I usually show up late and am the only person in the fastpass line. One would assume that a lot of people toss their passes.

Can Disney get off their high horse and admit they're just trying to get rid of the complimentary fast pass for the paid/resort passes?

My system has always been better than using FastPass.

I didn't have 24 kids, and I go when it's not as busy. And why am I able to go when it's not as busy? Because I don't have kids.

My solution to the mess? Get rid of FastPass. There was a time when it wasn't around. But then again, it was a time when Americans still seemed slightly more responsible, and didn't carry around such a lofty sense of entitlement either.

I still hear stories of people returning from their Disney vacations and not being able to hit up certain rides, even during "down times" of the year, AND having the FastPass option.

The parks are big. Use the interwebs, plan better, or deal with it.

How long until Disney goes to a pay system like every other park in the world? I'm not crazy about the idea, I think fastpass is one of the features of a Disney park that separates it from other parks but there is probably a TON of money to be made if they charged for a fast pass.

I've always wondered what would happen if every guest that entered a park was give a specific number of fast pass tickets that could be used at any time at any attraction they choose, something like 2 to 4 fast passes per guest per day per park (or maybe like 7 passes per day per park hopper). I feel like a system like that would allow each guests to pick the 3 or 4 attractions they want to see the most and know they can experience those attractions at their leisure with a minimal wait, and would then have to use the stand by line for everything else. Most guests would pick the larger E-Ticket attractions (like Tower and Rock n Roller Coaster and Space Mountain and Everest) that are high capacity attractions anyways, so everyone using the fastpasses throughout the day probably wouldn't make the standby line that outrageous. But for rides like Peter Pan that aren't as popular and have a much lower capacity the standby line might not be as ridiculous as it is with the fastpasses being distributed. Just an idea I've always had for a different system, it would obviously take a lot more research to properly refine the system (maybe only offer a 30 minute window every hour that the passes can be used). I don't mind a standby line, but I also like to know that on a trip to a Disney Park I'm going to get an opportunity to experience the 3 or 4 attractions I really want to experience without having to spend over half my day in line. Guess fast pass has just spoiled me a little over the years.

While I've always been the person that travels during the off season, picks the park to visit based on expected crowd levels (or extra magic hours) and hoards fastpasses in the morning to use later at night, I'll be fine with change. It's how it should have always been implemented anyways.

On the flipside- If I'm right and the reason for this change is that they're implementing a system which lets you prebook your fastpasses online before your vacation, then this new system (and the FP rule change) will let me enjoy my trip even more. I won't be planning my mornings based around fastpass collecting and crowd strategy. I can leisurely enjoy the parks, visit less popular attractions, and spend some money in the stores & restaurants.

I didn't have 24 kids,

I'd love to see someone at Disney with 24 kids on those kid backpack leashes. The most I've seen is 7. Yes, one guy with 7 kids on leashes like they were poodles.

Hell, they could just hitch the little buggers up to a wagon like a team of mules.

This is a HORRIBLE idea by Disney, and obviously being done to charge more for hotel rooms. Because only someone who can schedule fastpasses, in order around teh park, will want this to happen. The average person who is trying to get E-ticket fastpasses early, so they get them at all, is now going to be totally limited to what they can do during the day. This will not improve the guest experience AT ALL, unless again, you are using the new hotel perks.

I can't believe they think this is a good idea. City Hall is going to be filled with irate families that had their Space Mountain fastpasses, ready for their one and only ride on it, spent too long at dinner, and now have to tell their 2 screaming kids, "sorry, we can't ride it, let's leave". How does that improve anything?

I really can't see this rule lasting. It's going to be a huge negative for all those not staying on property. I'm interested what the on property perks really are, and how many FPs you can schedule.

We may be hitting Orlando later this year. I would assume this just cost Disney at least three entry fees from me. More time at Universal I guess.

-RO

In all the times I have visited Disney I did not know the system was this relaxed. I have used Fast Pass how it was intended and never had any problems. If you get a Fast Pass for a ride that has you returning in 1 hour or 2 don't go to the other side of the park and try to ride something its that easy. Do things in the area.

When the things in the area all have 1 hour standbys, that really blows.

Essentially, this new rule levels the playing field to some degree, but it makes WDW a much less desireable vacation destination, imho. I guess we'll have to limit our visitng to MNSSHP, where amazing, the park doesn't blow-up when the fastpass machines are turned off.

-RO

This is a HORRIBLE idea by Disney, and obviously being done to charge more for hotel rooms. Because only someone who can schedule fastpasses, in order around teh park, will want this to happen. The average person who is trying to get E-ticket fastpasses early, so they get them at all, is now going to be totally limited to what they can do during the day. This will not improve the guest experience AT ALL, unless again, you are using the new hotel perks.

I can't believe they think this is a good idea. City Hall is going to be filled with irate families that had their Space Mountain fastpasses, ready for their one and only ride on it, spent too long at dinner, and now have to tell their 2 screaming kids, "sorry, we can't ride it, let's leave". How does that improve anything?

I really can't see this rule lasting. It's going to be a huge negative for all those not staying on property. I'm interested what the on property perks really are, and how many FPs you can schedule.

We may be hitting Orlando later this year. I would assume this just cost Disney at least three entry fees from me. More time at Universal I guess.

-RO

I can get why people are complaining about the sudden enforcement (although I don't agree with the complaining because it IS the policy) but to actually go so far as not to visit because of it??? Is it really going to change your visit that much?

Edited by ernierocker

Even though I like "working the system", this really is something that they should have been doing from the beginning.

I would like to see one exception however:

If you have a Dining Reservation (that you likely made weeks/months in advance) you should be able to get a "stamp" or something on your FP if your reservation happens to coincide with your FP return time. Or at the very least, show your receipt from your meal that shows what time you were eating or something.

Let's say, as an example, you have a reservation at La Cellier for lunch ... say 1:00pm that you made months in advance because you have to for that restaurant. You get to EPCOT, go to get a Test Track FP and the time is between 1:00 and 2:00. Are you just supposed to wait around to get a FP for 3:00 to 4:00 now?

The actual amount of people this may happen to is probably negligible. If they did away with ADR's and just had walk-in's, then this wouldn't be an issue.

Edited by Sir Clinksalot

I've actually just had an epiphany: We just need an app that keeps a history of ride breakdowns that day. SImply find out which ride you could have just been stuck on, assuming the will have to keep track of this, if they really hope to enforce this at all.

If you were eating lunch, and Pirates was down for 15 minutes, use your expired FP at Space, and say you were stuck in a boat at Pirates.

Hopefully Mousetimes will add this info to an update.

And yes, I'm "gaming the system". If I don't, WDW isn't worth a visit, imho. Any seasoned visitor know you arrive at opening, collect FPs for the E-tickets as fast as you can. Then, hit other rides, and use the FPs at night, when the Splash standby is 60 minutes.

This is a money grab, and I rarely stay on Disney property. If I have to double my hotel costs, just to get decent FP amounts, it's not worth it. I'd assume you rarely visit WDW, Wes. Getting from the right side FP rides to the left side ones takes a great deal of time, even on light crowd days.

-RO

Even though I like "working the system", this really is something that they should have been doing from the beginning.

I would like to see one exception however:

If you have a Dining Reservation (that you likely made weeks/months in advance) you should be able to get a "stamp" or something on your FP if your reservation happens to coincide with your FP return time. Or at the very least, show your receipt from your meal that shows what time you were eating or something.

Let's say, as an example, you have a reservation at La Cellier for lunch ... say 1:00pm. You get to EPCOT, go to get a Test Track FP and the time is between 1:00 and 2:00. Are you just supposed to wait around to get a FP for 3:00 to 4:00 now?

The actual amount of people this may happen to is probably negligible. If they did away with ADR's and just had walk-in's, then this wouldn't be an issue.

This is a very good point, but even more of a reason they are doing this. If you stay on property, you La Cellier ressie will be right in line with your fastpasses. If you're not on property: FU, essentially.

-RO