TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 119: Test Track closure announced, new concept art released!

Does this mean that each ride experience will be slightly different depending on the choices made in the "design" portion? That would be fantastically cool.

I'm guessing that it will be more of one of those "interactive queues" that Disney has been putting all over property. I wouldn't expect that what you do in the queue is going to affect the ride. That would probably require a much longer down time than what is being scheduled

^That makes sense to me. The interactive queues, as far as I know, have been a hit so far, so why not update Test Track's? It would be better than the "safety test" demonstrations that don't work half the time.

As cool as it sounds to revamp this ride, it seems a bit odd to me that Disney would plan a refurbishment that closes one of their most popular attractions for the entire summer season. I have a feeling that this could cause many guest complaints.

^^One thing to remember is that this attraction has not had a major refurbishment of this scale or scope since it first opened. One of the biggest issues of running a year round park is the more limited option for maintenance periods on rides. Space Mountain was closed for nine whole months during the last major refurb it received, missing out on several busy periods, as well as the entire Grad Night block (which moved to Disney's Hollywood Studios for that year) and yet the park still held up.

Guest complaints are inevitable when a major attraction like this goes down for refurbishment for any period of time, but these maintenance periods ensure that the rides can continue to operate for years without major downtime. Like I said before, the last time Test Track had a refurbishment of this magnitude it was first opening, and aside from minor seasonal maintenance periods which every ride receives at some point, that is all this ride has gotten.

The ride will be getting a major thematic update, but will also be refurbished so that it can run much like it has for the last thirteen years, without major downtime for the foreseeable future.

I'm guessing that it will be more of one of those "interactive queues" that Disney has been putting all over property. I wouldn't expect that what you do in the queue is going to affect the ride. That would probably require a much longer down time than what is being scheduled.

Oh, definitely. I'm just in "blue sky thinking" mode, don't mind me.

I still think it would be cool. Imagine if you picked to have a sporty suspension on your test car - the car would go faster through the curvy bit inside; but if it would go over a bumpy part, it would be really rough. Kind of like that. It would sort of maybe be a little bit of a learning experience too.

^^One thing to remember is that this attraction has not had a major refurbishment of this scale or scope since it first opened. One of the biggest issues of running a year round park is the more limited option for maintenance periods on rides. Space Mountain was closed for nine whole months during the last major refurb it received, missing out on several busy periods, as well as the entire Grad Night block (which moved to Disney's Hollywood Studios for that year) and yet the park still held up.

Guest complaints are inevitable when a major attraction like this goes down for refurbishment for any period of time, but these maintenance periods ensure that the rides can continue to operate for years without major downtime. Like I said before, the last time Test Track had a refurbishment of this magnitude it was first opening, and aside from minor seasonal maintenance periods which every ride receives at some point, that is all this ride has gotten.

The ride will be getting a major thematic update, but will also be refurbished so that it can run much like it has for the last thirteen years, without major downtime for the foreseeable future.

I see what you mean. Although there will be guest complaints, it's better for the park in the long run. Especially if the ride, which is already awesome, can be come even more of a great attraction.

I am a bit surprised they are going on with the reboot during the the peak season. Wouldn't it make more sense to do it during the fall and into the late winter/spring and then have it open in time for Summer? I know that Epcot has several other attractions throughout the park, but this probably won't bode well with the majority of the general pubic who will be coming in from out-of-state as TT is a very popular attraction.

Whatever the case, I'm glad to see the ride get a big update.

If only they could just bring back the "World of Motion".

Amen.

And yay for vagueness in announcements.

Seeing that they've already started reskinning the ride vehicles, I'd guess it'll stay the same, but they'll do some interactive queue where you "design you're car" then a video showing you the paces they'll put it through, and then back out to the old/new track.

Surely that's all that could be done in six months.

Does anyone forget that Epcot, while busy through the summer season, sees a lot of its crowd through its annual Food & Wine fest? If time tables are correct, then wouldn't this be opening just at the beginning of it? Epcot has always struck me as the park that creates its own seasons. Yeah, there are people in the summer (Soarin' is always a wait, its not the crowds, its the hourly ride capacity) but Flower/Garden Festival and Food & Wine just seem to have more people there when I'm there. So in April after the Easter crowds and partially for Flower/Garden fest the ride goes down, and comes up (hopefully) in Fall 2012 for the Food & Wine fest.

Uggg!!!!

Go figure that it's going to be down when we go in july. I am a GM employee, and could have used the GM special entrance. My daughter is going to be super bummed because it's her favorite ride at the park.

Oh well, the refurb sounds good.

Isn't Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years the busiest period for Disney World.

Also, I remember Test Track have to close for just rain (not thunder like most outdoor rides) because of the amount of computers on the track. So they would have a relatively dry period in Orlando to fix out any kinks vs. the summer season when it would be closed for long periods each day.

Someone mentioned that the outside section of the ride might get covered which does make sense as the ride does have to close for rain,but if this is true I will miss riding it in cold temperatures,nothing like coming back into the building with a frozen face.I also agree about that if the ride has to go down for that long someone is not going to be happy,you leave it open in the summer and close it in September what happens to all the Food and Wine people and then the Holidays right behind it,it's gotta go down at some point.Hopefully whatever changes are made to the ride are worthwhile as I love the ride as it is now but would welcome a change.Another vote for singles not to get touched,it's great to not have to worry about getting FP's for it or if the standby wait is 90 minutes,look at Toy Story Mania,I've only ridden it like three times as I'm never at DHS early enough to get FP's nor do I enjoy waiting 2 hours in line.

Someone mentioned that the outside section of the ride might get covered which does make sense as the ride does have to close for rain,but if this is true I will miss riding it in cold temperatures,nothing like coming back into the building with a frozen face.I also agree about that if the ride has to go down for that long someone is not going to be happy,you leave it open in the summer and close it in September what happens to all the Food and Wine people and then the Holidays right behind it,it's gotta go down at some point.Hopefully whatever changes are made to the ride are worthwhile as I love the ride as it is now but would welcome a change.Another vote for singles not to get touched,it's great to not have to worry about getting FP's for it or if the standby wait is 90 minutes,look at Toy Story Mania,I've only ridden it like three times as I'm never at DHS early enough to get FP's nor do I enjoy waiting 2 hours in line.

Covered does not mean enclosed. It still would go outside.

Ok let's think about this here. How can Disney make a personalized ride for one person when they are in a car with 5 other people? Will it be like a vote thing where majority rules? Something doesn't make sense.

^This.

My thoughts exactly.

My thoughts is that perhaps there might be a 6 person 'design bay 'or similar, and each person is tasked with designing on part of the car. One person picks tyres, another one colour, headlight design, propulsion source etc etc.

So it could end up being a 'design by committee' perhaps?