TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Roller Coaster Tycoon DS - What would it look like?

I was thinking about how a DS version of Roller Coaster Tycoon would look... so I opened up Photoshop and started editing!

RCT-DS-Mockup2.jpg.6d07127727095a7f8b158a34a546bcf2.jpg

Here's what it would look like when one opens up the building window.

RCT-DS-Mockup-1.jpg.088b92eb5b71ff1ff42c4347a2036842.jpg

The basic interface, buttons and all. The player would use the D-Pad to move the map.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If only... We've got Zoo Tycooon DS, why not RCT? The only downside is the exclusion of custom rides and scenery...

There are some things I would change, though...

-Seeing as this is a DS and not a PC game, I wouldn't keep the floppy disk as the save icon...maybe a picture of the DS game?

-Definitely need a scrolling function in the scenery window where the scenery tabs are so as to include more scenery groups (and why not include ALL rides and scenery in scenarios this time?)

-How would you actually determine a starting point for a ride or path and be able to move the screen at the same time? The top screen isn't touch sensitive. Maybe use the A, B, X, and Y buttons to move it around.

^The other thing I was thinking about would be that the two screens would switch - you would use the D-Pad to select the scenery piece and the stylus to place it.

-Definitely need a scrolling function in the scenery window so as to include more scenery (and why not include ALL rides and scenery in scenarios this time?)

There is a scrollbar in the scenery window.

-How would you actually determine a starting point for a ride or path? The top screen isn't touch sensitive. Maybe use the A, B, X, and Y buttons to move it around.

You could use the D-Pad to move it on an x,y axis, and the x and y buttons to move the track on a z axis. Then, you could just use the stylus to add pieces from the bottom part (exactly like you do in RCT2)

I might work on a few more 'screenshots' if I go on my laptop later today.

Or you could use the stylus the whole time and double tap the start point. Hold R to be able to move the start up and down vertically. I would also prefer that if you were in coaster building mode, the track selection options would be the bottom screan, and the top screen would auto-track your progress. The best way to do scenery I think would be to have an Animal Crossing type interface where you choose a scene object in your bottom screen, it gets popped out to the top screen, and then you could move it. This means there would have to be a lock/unlock scenery features. THis would help when builidng coasters around theming that you don't necessarily want auto-deleted. It would tell you scenery was in the way.

I think the problem with this would be memory. They would have to really limit the map size.

Probably actually couldn't be a direct port or with 1 or 2's graphics. I would imagine the game being more like Thrillville. The game probably too would be built on a new engine. DS development is really cheap, even for 3D so the game could be 3D or 2D.

But with Theme Park coming to the DS, we will get to see how the park building genre plays out.