TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cypress Gardens Photos and POV video of their woodie!!!

robbalvey

I hear the Starliner loading area will be across from Swamp Thing. They are going to try to fit the wooden coaster next to the wave pool of Splash Island.

Wow, that's going to be a tight fit, I think. Especially considering the train tracks are right around there too.

Well, the Galaxy Spin coaster is going to be across from the Star Haven concert area. I know they wanted the "Starliner" to work into the mix, too. I heard that the "Starliner" will have a nice line area that will have some space objects, like rockets, etc. -- supposedly a low-buck Space Mountain facade.

The rides area has a few themes -- that section is becoming a Space Theme. The other theme is tropical, with Swamp Thing, Hurricane, Splash Island, etc....

As time goes on, they will add to the theme elements. But, the priority is getting the rides running -- then adding to the visual themes as time permits.

That's the latest my CG employee friends have passed on anyway. They also said that Kent was promising that Galaxy Spin will be running next month to them, too.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the Galaxy Spin coaster is going to be across from the Star Haven concert area. I know they wanted the "Starliner" to work into the mix, too. I heard that the "Starliner" will have a nice line area that will have some space objects, like rockets, etc. -- supposedly a low-buck Space Mountain facade.

Hmm... Starliner + Galaxy Spin = Space Themed area would have made sense. Oh well. My location guess for the Galaxy Spin is pretty close. I'll keep an eye out in that area. So far nothing.

As time goes on, they will add to the theme elements. But, the priority is getting the rides running -- then adding to the visual themes as time permits.

Definitely. Although I find it funny how some people can't grasp the concept of a "Work in progress." Frankly, I love to see a new improvement every time I go. "Hey, they changed this, or added that!"

That's the latest my CG employee friends have passed on anyway. They also said that Kent was promising that Galaxy Spin will be running next month to them, too.

Can't wait for it! I've never been on one of those before. I tried going on the one at Wild Adventures last month, but it was closed.

I'll be going to CG again probably next week and I'll post some new photos. Hopefully some construction ones!

Maybe the bunny hops on Triple Hurricane will have some airtime. I won't know because I won't go. Hey, that rhymes!

There is some decent airtime in the back of the train -- for sure. The Triple Hurricane is a tame, but fun woodie. The sad part is -- its far smoother riding than Gwazi and is a low-buck offering by comparison --

Cost of Triple Hurricane = 1.25 Million

Cost of Gwazi = 10 Million

Although, Gwazi is a longer duration ride -- its a bouncing torture in several sections. I'd rather ride Triple Hurricane -- I've got a good back and want to keep it that way. The only thing in Cypress Gardens that I won't ride again is Swamp Thing -- its just a rough-riding horror.... The Rampage is smooth as silk, though. I've already been on Starliner (at MP) and would ride that anyday (I love it)... I think the Starliner is way better than Gwazi. John Allen redefined the modern roller coaster -- and Starliner is a great example of his early work IMO. Can't wait until its relocated.

The latest CG press release is about the reopening of Nature's Way animal area. At the end it mentions the Galaxy Spin as the next coaster, with no mention of the Starliner.

Nature’s Way is just another exciting step in the rebuilding of Cypress Gardens Adventure Park. Future summer additions include the park’s 5th coaster, Galaxy Spin and Splash Island water park.

Maybe they just haven't decided yet.

Another newspaper article on Cypress Gardens....

The new Nature's Way attraction is way larger than I anticipated.... Its got two shows (The Pirate Show and a Reptile Show), new Ferry Boat ride, Bird Aviary, Petting Zoo.... Lots of animal attractions...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/tourism/orl-bizcypress26052605may26,0,1108616.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

"Even after Splash Island is completed, Buescher will make more additions to his park. The Starliner, a 42-year-old wooden roller coaster that has been a Panama City Beach landmark, will be moved to Cypress Gardens. It's too early to tell when the coaster will open at Cypress Gardens -- officials aren't even sure where it's going to fit yet."

The Galaxy Spin coaster opens in June.... Splash Island in July.... Night Magic in August.... They are just pumping out the attractions right now....

"Even after Splash Island is completed, Buescher will make more additions to his park. The Starliner, a 42-year-old wooden roller coaster that has been a Panama City Beach landmark, will be moved to Cypress Gardens. It's too early to tell when the coaster will open at Cypress Gardens -- officials aren't even sure where it's going to fit yet."

Cool, cool, cool!

I'm (hopefully) going again today armed with a video camera this time. We'll see what kind of video I can grab.

I just went to this park on monday for my first time. Wow, I don't know why people were hating on this park. I thought it was awesome.

Since we were going to Wild Adventures on tuesday we bought the cheap season pass. I think that for what it is, a ride and botannical park, the place is amazing.

Instead of going on and on I'll just list the things that impressed me:

1. Vekoma Flying Island! I've always wanted to ride one of these.

2. Disk-O Dude this ride awesome.

3. M&V Woodie again, great for what it is, alot better than the POV lead me to believe.

4.Spinning raft. 4th one of these I've been to but the only one I've ridden. No wait! And spun alot more than I would have thought.

5. Natures way "Swamp Walk" Nicely built deck on the shores of the lake.

Add to this 2 new coasters and a free waterpark coming soon! Plus no lines and great operations and ops that let you film on basically any ride you want. I love this park.

Wild Adventures was the bomb too. I alway thought it would just be a "credit stop" but I actually had more fun than I do at Animal Kingdom.

-Note to Disney- Add a waterpark to Animal Kingdom and have the train be interesting.

I just went to this park on monday for my first time. Wow, I don't know why people were hating on this park. I thought it was awesome.

You know its actually kind of funny. My family has gone to all of the parks in Florida (Disney's 4 parks, Universal, IOA, Busch, Sea World, etc)...

Yet, we keep going back to Cypress Gardens and IOA.... The others just don't seem to hold our attention. The kids love animals -- but hate Animal Kingdom: Go Figure. They like Sea World, but not enough rides for them.... and the rides that Sea World does have are a bit too scary for the young ones.

We haven't been to Cypress Gardens since the animal pavilion opened, but I'm sure they'll love it.

Personally, I love the concerts at CG. The rides are great, too. I'm very nostalgic for the 1980s.... and with Styx, Huey Lewis and Foreigner appearing recently at the 2 parks -- I'm totally satisfied.... I know I'm getting another annual pass next year.

Another news story on CG!

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8034280/

Splash Island is slated to have its grand opening on July 4th! Only 35 days from now!

Here's another interesting blurb on Cypress Gardens:

"Insiders say the next big addition will be the Starliner roller coaster.

A decision has yet to be announced on whether the famous Miracle Strip park wooden roller coaster can be shoehorned into the Winter Haven park. A park spokeswoman says she's "99.9 percent certain" the coaster is Central Florida bound. "

1. Vekoma Flying Island! I've always wanted to ride one of these.

I know virtually nothing about Vekoma, but that particular attraction as been around since 1980-something, when it was called the "Island in the Sky." Are you sure it's Vekoma?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I drove past CG today and I noticed there was a huge crane out behind the bleachers of the concert area. Sure enough, through the fence I saw the tracks for the Galaxy Spin on the ground. Finally we know for sure where it is going.

Edit: Well, looks like it's not going in the field after all!

Well, I went to the park today and got some new shots of the Galaxy Spin construction. You can view them here.

I've also added some new shots of the Splash Island construction and some other general shots were added to the site.

Here's a good one of the Galaxy Spin parts. Funny, I never see anyone actually working on it... Maybe they're doing it all at night?

• 3 weeks later...

Just visited the park again yesterday... I was dismayed to not see any progress on the Galaxy Spin... Until I got to the Storm Surge ride! Seems they ARE NOT installing it in that field after all! It's going in next to the arcade and behind Storm Surge!

Maybe they will finish it by the end of the month?

Not much progress (that I can tell) on Splash Island at all. :-/

I discovered that the animals are much more active when it's cloudy outside. Got some amazing close-up shots!

Lots more new photos too!

Well,

From what I've been told by the CG employees... An additional ride area is being built (not in Adventure Grove or Paradise Pier) for the Starliner since the coaster can't fit in the existing ride sections.

A new ride area will be built next to the main parking lot (south of Nature's Way). The Starliner, a large looping steel coaster and about 8 other carnival rides will be added in this brand new area for 2006.

It is the goal of Cypress Gardens to match Wild Adventures # of rides and coasters... So expect about 50-55 rides and 9 coasters total.

Apparently, no more junior coasters either -- the new area will have 3 or 4 adult-sized coasters including the Starliner and probably another Vekoma Boomerang.

I really, really hope they don't get a Vekoma Boomerang. I mean, I really kind of liked thinking of Florida as a "Boomerang Free" state.

How many other places are there that have that many coasters and DON'T have a boomerang within 200 miles? From Orlando, the closest boomerang is 215 miles away at Wild Adventures.

Southern California has Knott's. The NJ/PA area has them at Hershey & Wildwood. Ohio has one at Geauga Lake.

*sigh*

--Robb