TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New York City In The Winter Time, Any Tips?

Hattuchili

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Famous Ray's on St. Marks and 3rd Avenue, if you want pizza swimming in grease and so much cheese and sauce that your mouth waters at the thought of it, kind of like I'm doing right now. There's a reason its Famous Ray's.

If you're downtown in the WTC area, Portobello's is on Murray Street between West Broadway and Greenwich Street. Absolutely the most friendly owner of anything I have ever met. Great guy and great pizza.

If you want to have old fashioned style pizza, the only place to go is Grimaldi's in Brooklyn. Right underneath the Brooklyn Bridge on Old Fulton Street, right by the Fulton Street Landing (the Water Taxi docks there, if you want to take that). Also right next to the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory.

Dessert? Cake Man Raven. 708 Fulton Street in Brooklyn. Best. Cake. Ever.

Tourist Attractions:

-As sad as it is to me that this has become such a must-see tourist attraction (since I had to witness it from 3 blocks away), it is now a part of history. The World Trade Center area is a good place to reflect on the evil that is inherent in this world. Ground was broken on the new Freedom Tower.

-Empire State Building

-Grand Central Terminal

-Central Park

-FAO Schwartz

-Free public restrooms offered by Charmin in Times Square!

-Greenwich Village

-Little Italy (if you're in the mood for good italian food)

-Chinatown (if you want fake bags and IDs)

-East Village

-Everywhere

Also, try to venture out into the other boroughs, even if for just a few hours, to see the true diversity that is New York City. And if you want more good food. (Except for Staten Island, it doesn't count)

Let me know if you want to meet up and I can show you around.

As a note: Though you can enter the Statue of Liberty, you can't actually go up to the crown which completely nullifies the experience. So, don't even bother with this, it's a waste of time.

OMG....

Hey guys, thank you so much for all the great answears! It is awesome and now I am much more looking forward to the trip!

Does someone heard something about a restaurant on top of the Rockefeller Center called Rainbow something!???

Thanks again,

--Sören

^ You'd have to go there and find out, or do a search online.

Another thing you can do is do while in NYC is the NBC Studio Tour. NBC's main studios are located in the Rockefeller building.

To do the studio, you need to go into the NBC Gift Shop and they'll have a counter inside where you can purchase studio tour tickets.

^ Thanks Craig and thanks again for everyone! It is all very helpful and I am really looking forward to my trip. I am counting the days.

I think I will get the New York Pass, there are a lot of attractions included! What do you guys think? Is it a good idea?

--Sören

If you not going into the Statue of Libertty you might want to take the Staten Island Ferry instead. It is free for a one hour round trip and you can buy and drink beer on the ferry. You get great views of Manhattan, Liberty Island and the Verrazano Narrows bridge.

Most of the food options presented by others are good, Ellen's Starlight Diner is average food, but the wait staff is actors and singers.

I don't think Rainbow Room is not worth it unless you are trying to impress a woman.

The rotating lounge at the top of The Marriot Marquis is in Times Square and an overpriced drink is a lot better than an overpriced meal.

Im sooo jealous Soren! Have an amazing time!!

When we went to NYC we used the big open top red tour buses. They were really reliable and good for getting you to exactly where you want to go, with a little bit of history thrown in!

Although, It might be quite cold!! Haha!!

We also took horse n carriage rides around central park