TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What Books Do You Read

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Joyland - Stephen King.

It's a more like a novella at around 300 pages so I settled into my recliner and read the whole thing yesterday afternoon/evening. It's a great story about a college kid from Maine that goes down to work at a seaside amusement park (Joyland, obviously) in North Carolina in the 1970's.

It wasn't at all what I thought it would be like - not a horror story at all. Throw bits of crime/drama, love/loss, friendships made and a little dose of King's warped mind-set in for good measure - highly recommended!

I'm a Rick Riordan Fan so I've read all the Percy Jackson books and the four books so far in the Heroes of Olympus series. I also like Big Nate. I read the online comic strip everyday and have all 5 books. I like Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I've read all 8 of the books. I also started on the new series "Seven Wonders" by Peter Lerangis.

My favorite books that I have read are Kindness for Weakness by Shawn Goodman and Every Day by David Leviathan. They are really good! Plus they give good insight on the world and society and they are very interesting.

I really enjoyed reading through the Song of Ice and Fire series so far. The only one I didn't quite enjoy reading was the fourth, A Feast for Crows; it was incredibly repetitive and focused purely on the least interesting characters. Overall, the series is so rich in story, fantastic stuff.

Don't get me started on Harry Potter! Seriously in love with that series. I started Eragon and have yet to finish that, but I enjoyed it so far. I Liked the Hunger Games trilogy but couldn't connect with the characters as much as HP. I love fantasy novels and si-fi are good. I usually don't read that much but when I get a good book I'm hooked until I finish it.

Got it for graduation gift and haven't had a chance to read it yet. Sounds better than I was expecting!

I thought Joyland was very well written and had me drawn in from the get-go. I also managed to finish up another King novel 'Insomnia' over the Christmas holiday which was quite good although a bit over the top.

I got my partner hooked on King and he just got done reading 'Under the Dome' and is now reading 'Dr. Sleep' on his Kindle.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I read some novels, I usually read french books because english is not my main language. If I read books about amusement parks, english only because there's no french books on the topic. I recently read the whole collection of "Amusement parks of ____" by Jim Futrell, and it's GREAT ! I also did read The incredible Scream Machine (R. Cartmell, the classic), The American Roller Coaster (S. Rutherford) and Roller Coaster: a thrillseeker's guide to the ultimate scream machine (by RoCo I think ? R. Coker of his complete name) All of these are excellent lectures on the topic of coasters and amusement parks, highly recommend them !

I usually read a mixture of fiction and history, and I try to squeeze in one "moldy old classic" per year. For 2014, it's Victor Hugo's Les Miserables (English translation). I'm a little over 60 pages into it, and so far, so good.

I read all three books in the Hunger Games Trilogy (Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Mockingjay) and they were amazing. It's weird reading them an realizing that the deprivation of rights and corrupt government present in the books reflect that of some countries today, (cough, cough DPRK.) Of course, with the exception there exists no hunger games.