TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What Books Do You Read

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

Wow, long time since anyone posted in here.

I joined a book club last fall so I'm reading much more. Last month was Wuthering Heigjts which was an absolute chore to get through. This month it is The Hunger Games which I flew though.

I'm trinh to decide if I want to read the other two books in the trilogy or pick something else up.

Anything well-known, of course since that's the reason they're good. lol

... Twilight is well known, that does not make it good.

Also, before the haters go, the books were so much better than the movies, yes I read the books just to see what the big fuss was about and didn't find it that impressive.

I'm in the middle of a story about the Mafia right now. It's pretty good if a little slow and long-winded at times. I do plan on reading a bit more Dan Brown once I finish my current book.

Hopefully I can get to reading The Hunger Games too. Definitely looking forward to reading the trilogy.

Kindles are super awesome! I recommend everyone to get one (or some sort of e-reader)

I got the Hunger Games primarily because my sister absolutely refused to even touch the book and I wanted to drive her nuts (she's a Twilight and Harry Potter fanatic). I didn't expect to enjoy the book too much, but I actually did. Good, violent action, vivid and entertaining characters, and just an overall fun read. The book does plunge you into the story without too much back story, so some details took me a little bit to grasp, but it was original and engrossing. I'm still debating whether or not I want to finish the trilogy. To anybody who has read all three books, are the second two any good compared to the first?

I'm trinh to decide if I want to read the other two books in the trilogy or pick something else up.

I'm still debating whether or not I want to finish the trilogy. To anybody who has read all three books, are the second two any good compared to the first?

You HAVE to read all three! I just finished the third book last week and I'm seriously thinking about reading all three again soon. They are that good. Two and three are just as good as the first one. Even my husband was totally engrossed in all three books. We only bought one copy of each and took turns reading. Luckily he works third shift so he would read when he got home in the morning and I would read when he left for work at night. We both are so excited for the next two movies now! To be considered a YA series, the books have a good share of violence and gore.

Just finished reading then watching "Matchstick Men" & "The Boy In The Striped Pajamas". Both of them very good. In the queue for "Hunger Games" from the library at the moment. Currently 80th in line after requesting it a month ago when I started out at number 857. My friends offered to buy it for me since I told them none of them could watch it till I read it. I told them no though cause, I'm just stubborn like that. Till then I'm going to read "All The Pretty Horses".

I don't read as often as I probably should, mostly because the books we were forced to read in high school were (for the most part) terrible. While there were some good reads like And Then There Were None, Fahrenheit 451, Animal Farm, Lord of the Flies, and Hamlet; there were also the terrible, boring as hell books Macbeth, The Killer Angels, Rebecca, Walden, and The Great Gatsby (sorry, but I absolutely HATE the story of the Great Gatsby).

I seem to prefer books that indulge on the use of a creative mind. Stuff like fantasy or science fiction. I guess I like them because the imagination is free to visualize what is going on the way you want it, something movies don't always get right. I would say that my favorite books would have to be Fahrenheit 451, Watership Down, Freak the Mighty (from my childhood), and my all-time favorite The War of the Worlds.

In my Mosaic class, we are reading Thoreau's Walden, a book I read in high school. I hated that condescending crap then and I still hate it now.

Just started The Catcher in the Rye for my AP English 11 class. I'm only about 45 pages in so far, and I think I like it. I'm not sure, not much has happened yet. I do like the way it's written, though, how it's like Holden's jacked-up train of thought.

As for the other books we've read this year and my opinion on them..

The Crucible: Ugh.. Did NOT enjoy this one at all, despite being highly interested in theatre and Cold War-esque paranoia.

The Great Gatsby: Meh. I guess I liked it, but I felt extremely underwhelmed by the time I finished it. That tends to happen when I read a book that people call one of the greatest ever.

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn: Finally, a book I truly enjoyed! Though the end made me angry. Tom Sawyer is an idiot.

Their Eyes Were Watching God: Another one I loved. A bit tough to read, and all about relationships the whole way through, but it was just so.. good. I can't even explain why.

So in less then a week a read all three of the Hunger games books. I love my kindle.

Now I need to figure out what to read next.

Yay! I'm glad you read all three! I need another good series now, too. And no one say Twilight! Not gonna happen!

I required a little bit of a push last year to read the Hunger Games. Everybody I knew was reading it so I decided to give in to the peer pressure. Glad I did, it was a good read.

^^When I was in High School the Catcher in the Rye was my favorite book we read. Huckleberry Finn was another great one, as was To Kill a Mockingbird.

After seeing the girl with the dragon tattoo, I've got the stieg larsson trilogy. I'm saving them for a holiday in a few weeks when I can just sit by the pool and read them all day!

My wife really enjoyed those books. We own them on Kindle now so eventually I might read them.

• 2 weeks later...

Read The Hunger Games which I really enjoyed. Had no idea what it was about. Just waiting for my friend to finish it so we can watch it, if we can find a theater still playing it that is. Just finished reading All The Pretty Horses which has gotta be one of the best books I've ever read. Highly recommended. Now I just started The Crossing which is the sequel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...