TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WalMart blocked in San Diego....

BeemerBoy

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even with Walmart in my area, I go to Target a lot more than Walmart. The stores are dirty, they are ususally poorly organized (merchandise thrown all over), lines are long and prices aren't that great on some items like video games. I also don't like how Walmart has used predatory pricing where they lower prices to even take a loss just to get other local stores out of business and then they raise the prices once they are the only ones left.

It's not really the success that is hated. It's their questionable labor practices and bullying of suppliers.

http://www.fastcompany.com/online/77/walmart.html

Thanks for posting that - an excellent read. Wal-Mart: it's like the legal version of the mob.

Scott "did Sam Walton secretly have Sicilian ancestry?" B.

EDIT: oops, that link didn't show up....well, at least not for me. Here it is again: http://www.fastcompany.com/online/77/walmart.html

American manufacturers can't compete, thus they're out of business too!

This would be a true statement, assume all American work is good quality and at a good price but its not. Americans are completely opposite of China and the Asian areas in this concept. They will do tons of work for nothing and with little quality where "most" Americans will only do whats required and at the same time require insane benefits, 400 bucks an hour and complain every 4 seconds about it.

IF, and I mean if, Americans did their jobs without whining, at a reasonable pay and did the best they could (which is what capitalism is all about) then wed be set. But Americans are GREEDY and SELFISH. Thus, Americans themselves (and their Unions) have completely drained businesses of all their assets and profits. Dont get me wrong, I know plenty of GOOD, harrdworking union employees but they are few and far between these days. And it only gets worse because the generation of kids growing up right now are EXTREMELY spoiled and cant do a lick of work in comparison to their parents.

Perfect example is the motor industry. Why does it cost so much? American cars dont last nearly as long as foreign cars. But yet, foreign cars last longer, run harder and run cleaner. wtf? Its because the people overseas (though ALOT of the larger companies employ American workers in AMERICAN factories so dont complain) work harder for a little less and reap in benefits such as long term stability because their company isnt in trouble and they probably gets lots of other perks.

Our systems are so screwed up.

I wish I could believe that Americans work better, harder and smarter but we dont. If we did, we wouldnt be in the hole that we are.

It's not really the success that is hated. It's their questionable labor practices and bullying of suppliers.

Walmart is a dump anyway. Target carries much nicer stuff. And if you're looking for a wholesale club, Costco is also far superior to Sam's Club in terms of the quality of goods that they stock. Oddly I'm currently a Sam's Club member. Costco is too damn far from where I live, and I hate driving.

Even with Walmart in my area, I go to Target a lot more than Walmart. The stores are dirty, they are ususally poorly organized (merchandise thrown all over), lines are long and prices aren't that great on some items like video games.

Let's be honest... do you think that most people diss Wal Mart because of their business practices, or because of things like "The stores are dirty" and "Walmart is a dump"?

Wal Mart has a target audience and those outside of it often don't like it.

With that said, I shop all over. Wal Mart DOES have lower quality on some items, but some things are the same no matter where you are (like a six pack of Coke). Why pay more at your local grocer when you can get that six pack of Coke cheaper at Wal Mart? However, for things like my bathroom towels.. I can buy cheaper goods at Wal Mart that will fall apart in a few months, or go to Target and pay a little more but have towels that look new a year later.

Like everything, Wal Mart has its niche in the market... and for those of us who live out in the middle of nowhere, its nice to know that there is a place with about anything I could ever want or need... and that its open 24 hrs a day in a town that dies at 10PM.

I just hate seeing any government step in and regulate business... the only problem I have with Wal Mart is seeing them abuse eminent domain, which is why I voted in favor of limiting the use of eminent domain in my state this past election.

With that said, I shop all over. Wal Mart DOES have lower quality on some items, but some things are the same no matter where you are (like a six pack of Coke). Why pay more at your local grocer when you can get that six pack of Coke cheaper at Wal Mart? .

Yes, and sadly, even that proud company fell victim to Wal-Mart's questionable practices as well.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/06/08/news/companies/coke_walmart/index.htm

maybe I don't see a problem with that because Coke made that choice.

They could have said "FU" to Wal Mart and let them do their own sports drink, and risked a loss of market share (which they are already being dominated in by Gatorade) or they can work with Wal Mart and try to grow... easy choice IMO.

^ Oh, very true. It's just the pricipal of being bullied into redesigning your entire distribution chain that any major company would find insulting. If I'm Coke, I'd tell 'em to take a hike too, but i just posted that because it proves again that no one is untouchable when Wal-Mart decides to use it's iron fist.

Walmart is a dump anyway. Target carries much nicer stuff. And if you're looking for a wholesale club, Costco is also far superior to Sam's Club in terms of the quality of goods that they stock. Oddly I'm currently a Sam's Club member. Costco is too damn far from where I live, and I hate driving.

Even with Walmart in my area, I go to Target a lot more than Walmart. The stores are dirty, they are ususally poorly organized (merchandise thrown all over), lines are long and prices aren't that great on some items like video games.

Let's be honest... do you think that most people diss Wal Mart because of their business practices, or because of things like "The stores are dirty" and "Walmart is a dump"?

Wal Mart has a target audience and those outside of it often don't like it.

With that said, I shop all over. Wal Mart DOES have lower quality on some items, but some things are the same no matter where you are (like a six pack of Coke). Why pay more at your local grocer when you can get that six pack of Coke cheaper at Wal Mart? However, for things like my bathroom towels.. I can buy cheaper goods at Wal Mart that will fall apart in a few months, or go to Target and pay a little more but have towels that look new a year later.

Like everything, Wal Mart has its niche in the market... and for those of us who live out in the middle of nowhere, its nice to know that there is a place with about anything I could ever want or need... and that its open 24 hrs a day in a town that dies at 10PM.

I just hate seeing any government step in and regulate business... the only problem I have with Wal Mart is seeing them abuse eminent domain, which is why I voted in favor of limiting the use of eminent domain in my state this past election.

Precisely why I shop at Wal-Mart. I got a real bad headache while I was up late one night doing homework and I needed some ibuprofen/aspirin/something to make it go away. The only thing open was Wal-Mart. As questionable their business practices may be, they are very convenient. And like Jow said, Coke is Coke, but when you need to find something of quality, go elsewhere and leave it to those who can't afford to go elsewhere to buy those things at Wal-Mart.

^ Maybe this is one reason why Americans feel the way they do about their jobs?

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/CompanyFocus/MostOutrageousCEOPerksOf2006SoFar.aspx

Now who's greedy?

I never said the greed didnt infest all areas of work. I just know because Im an employee at one job right now and a supervisor at another. I see both ends of the spectrum at the same time and its all the same among all ranks.

But in general, compared to other nations, Americans dont grasp the concept of doing their best for good (not outrageous) pay. Americans IMO think, for some odd reason, that they deserve more or are somehow better people or a better country than everyone else and thus deserve more money, more of basically everything.

Which, of course, doesnt work.

Actually, you'd be pretty surprised at the people who are aware of Walmart's shadiness. My boss, a pretty conservative Republican type, has surprised me a number of times by telling me various stories about Walmart. That's not exactly the sort of person you'd expect to hear bash them. Then there are the hardcore leftist types that hate Walmart for their union busting tactics, like shutting down a store entirely for organizing. Walmart is also notorious for firing anyone that even talks about organizing, which is illegal BTW.

So, while I agree that most people might dislike Walmart for being a filthy dump full of white trash (the stores usually reek of poverty), I think you're wrong if you think that their shady practices aren't widely known. Isn't that why San Diego's city council is pulling this largely political move? Because they want to play populist politics? In case you don't know, they can never keep Walmart out by force. Walmart can just sue them in Federal Court for a trade violation, and they are nearly certain to win. SD City Council surely knows this.

With that said, I shop all over. Wal Mart DOES have lower quality on some items, but some things are the same no matter where you are (like a six pack of Coke).

Well, I'd personally say that making a special trip just for soda would be a giant waste of time. That's why I typically shop at Meijer, where I can buy everything from groceries to DVDs to motor oil. I'm all about the convenience of one-stop shopping. Walmart isn't even really an option for me, because the closest one has a really lousy grocery section.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/results.asp?q1=ALL&q4=&q6=&q3=&q2=&q7=&searchtype=0&submit2=Search%21&q5=walmart

Some of the stories about Walmart on the above site are pretty good.

Ginzo: I've read that article before. It's quite revealing about the business world. I wonder how other companies differ from Walmart on that score though. Of course, not many buy the volume Walmart does.

The thing is, there ARE hard-working Americans out there...I'd like to think I'm one of them. I show up every day and stay busy. I've never resorted to government assitance, I've never abused my union benefits...and I'm just barely getting by, financially...I've got money in the savings account, but it's slowly starting to dwindle as the bills pile up.

Can you imagine trying to pay for food, student loans, car payments, and other things on a Wal-Mart salary (I don't work at Wal-Mart, remember, I'm speaking hypothetically)? Even if you're the hardest working guy around, and work almost every day of the week, like I have as of late, it's not going to make much of a difference with the pay you get...But I continue to do it, because it's the only thing I can do now.

And god forbid I get sick, or injured somehow...do you know how expensive health care is? It's frightening.

I'm not trying to be greedy...I'm trying to have a little perspective here. There are fewer and fewer jobs out here for guys like me, who are just trying to make money... enough money to LIVE off of, and support my family when possible.

So what if Wal Mart doesn't pay too well or give benefits? if people are willing to work under those conditions, so be it! Obviously there are people out there that will work in those conditions or else Wal Mart wouldn't have 1100 stores nationwide. At least some one is willing to do the work that most Americans refuse to do, and our collective mentality is in large why so many people are moving here illegally and "taking our jobs"...

oh, and I'd rather have the government give monetary assistance to those who are actually working and trying to earn a living, rather than those who are just lazy

Guess again. They have over 4000 stores nationwide and over 6500 across the globe.

For 2006 (thus far) they have 1,800,000 employees making them the largest single non government employer.

http://www.hoovers.com/wal-mart/--ID__11600--/free-co-factsheet.xhtml?cm_ven=PAID&cm_cat=BUS&cm_pla=CO1&cm_ite=Wal-Mart_Stores_Inc

^ when you say "guess again", what are you saying I was wrong about?? If you're talking about the number of stores they operate.. yeah, the number I read was exclusive to the "regular" Wal-Mart's I suppose, so it just proves my point even more that they can operate and staff hundreds upon hundreds of stores with no problem...

Actually, you'd be pretty surprised at the people who are aware of Walmart's shadiness... So, while I agree that most people might dislike Walmart for being a filthy dump full of white trash (the stores usually reek of poverty), I think you're wrong if you think that their shady practices aren't widely known.

oh, I am sure they are known, I wasn't trying to imply that the company's practices are unknown by the public - Wal Mart's are constantly subject to media scrutiny. Then again... Nike has been too, and they still seem to sell shoes.

Well, I'd personally say that making a special trip just for soda would be a giant waste of time. Walmart isn't even really an option for me, because the closest one has a really lousy grocery section.

I agree that it would be a waste of time, but that was just an example - brand name goods are the same everywhere. Be it my case of coke ($3.00 at W-M vs $3.50 at Publix) or my Michelina's microwavable pasta dishes ($.79 W-M vs $1.29 at Publix) or even things like shampoo, dish detergent and a gallon of milk... you can save some decent money shopping at Wal Mart for the identical stuff you'd get at your local grocer.

Now, I also choose to buy my meat at Publix because of the better quality... and because I can afford to. The Super center is still very helpful for me.

^You know what's funny about that? I live in a upper middle class suburb of LA, and when we finally got a real shopping center...both Wal Mart and Ralphs are tenants, and both do quite well.

Yeah, the WalMart there is actually decent.

But I remember before the built it the residents were complaining because they wanted an IMAX theatre, Bloomingdales, etc instead.

I don't think those would create as much revenue for Porter Ranch as Wal Mart.

Here's the reasons why I don't really care about Wal Mart one way or the other:

1. I'm a Jew.

2. Much like Wal Mart nearly killed K-mart, someone is going to create business model that tops Wal Mart in terms of cost (the one advantage they have), and that will be the end of super-mega-evil Wal Mart as we know it today. All those businesses they supposedly hurt? Well, a lot of them will avoid any of that trouble because their business model is based on more than just price alone and keeps customers coming back.

3. They are hardly the only mega-corporation guilty of shady practices, so I really I just lump them with everyone else in the "corporate America sucks ass" category.

The thing is, there ARE hard-working Americans out there...I'd like to think I'm one of them. I show up every day and stay busy. I've never resorted to government assitance, I've never abused my union benefits...and I'm just barely getting by, financially...I've got money in the savings account, but it's slowly starting to dwindle as the bills pile up.

There are fewer and fewer jobs out here for guys like me, who are just trying to make money... enough money to LIVE off of, and support my family when possible.

The people who do just want to make money to make a living, support their family and do good work are fine. They make up the minority though it seems.

Theres an age group where it seems most of the Americans work pretty hard, then another where it tapers off to trying to get every last penny for nothing and then another where they dont do ANY work and expect to get paid as much as the guy who works his butt off every day.

lol i just saw a walmart commercial saying Wiis (also saying I flipped a channel and saw the same commercial, so they are really pushing this) are in stores and stocked more often, called them up, they had no Wiis and were like, "we don't usually have them in stores yet, Im not sure if we sell those right now" I asked when a next shipment comes in she says sometime next week at 12 AM, I called another one and they were like "those are out yet?? We arent selling them until the 6th..." bah they really do suck, Im so glad I have a target that just opened up closer lol. I was just thinking, hey they are advertising they have Wiis IN STOCK on a friday afternoon... oh well. I just got target and asked if they have Wiis, they said "we open at 7 AM and recieve a shipment of about 10-15 Wiis on sunday" I think its obvious lol, I mean at least they employ people who seem like they give a damn or know something.

-Allan "867-5309" Bray

3. They are hardly the only mega-corporation guilty of shady practices, so I really I just lump them with everyone else in the "corporate America sucks a$$" category.

Thats the real reason I shop at walmart

no matter where you spend your money, someone who is a complete asshole will get a part of it

I'm kinda rooting for the Sears-Kmart team, but the Kmart store here is really dirty, and the walmart is very very nice

We also have Targets, which are certainly nice, but it seems I can never go into one with out spending at least $100 before I leave

I have no real problem with walmart, if you eat Mcdonalds, use any microsoft product, you have no reason to bash Walmart for how it runs its business

Money is the name of the game