TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

I got into the Disney College Program!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats! Do you know what role you were chosen for? (Food and Bev., Merchandise, Operations, etc?). IMHO early on in your college life is the best time to do the program because you are still deciding what you want to do with your life and you are not stressed out about graduating.

I did it in the spring of 2000 (during my junior year) and I believe that it was the best decision I ever made with my education. Not only did I have an absolute blast, I learned so much that has helped me in every job I have had since. My thought is that college will always be there, and you can always finish up later. But who knows where your life might lead you in a year or two, and the College Program might not be a feasable option later. I wholeheartedly recommend the program to anyone who wants to do it!

You can check out my WDWCP scrapbook on my website at http://www.fyabulous.com/scrapbook

-Julie

Congratulations!

This may not be related, but and couple days ago in local newspaper there was an article about a college having a course on how to manage a theme park. It seemed very cool and I don't know what I did with it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I did it in the spring of 2000 (during my junior year) and I believe that it was the best decision I ever made with my education. Not only did I have an absolute blast, I learned so much that has helped me in every job I have had since. My thought is that college will always be there, and you can always finish up later. But who knows where your life might lead you in a year or two, and the College Program might not be a feasable option later. I wholeheartedly recommend the program to anyone who wants to do it!

You can check out my WDWCP scrapbook on my website at http://www.fyabulous.com/scrapbook

-Julie

CONGRATS!

I totally agree with Julie. The earlier the better. You never know what sorts of things you might be dealing with as you reach the end of your college career. I did my spring advantage program the spring/summer of my sophomore year...it seemed to be the ideal timing because you arent so into your major that you can't miss a semester.

Also, if you like it a lot, you might also be able to investigate extending your program, doing an advanced internship (now called professional internships), or perhaps even transferring schools and working down there on an ongoing basis. The possibilities are limitless, but it all comes down to timing.

Congrats!!!!

Im also going to work at WDW but at Epcots Mexican Pavillion. Im going to be a hole year (yes thats 12 months), cause ive been chosen to take part on the Cultural Representative Program. Im going to be at Food&Beverage starting June 12 2007 and ending June 7 2008. Hope to meet there.

Joel " " Saury

^ I believe that it works differently for every school. For me, I got no school credit for it since it's not traditional college classes (oh yeah, and because my school sucked). But I had a friend upstairs from me that went to UT and got 18 hours of business credit for the exact same program. The classes that they teach aren't the same kind of stuff you'd find in a regular college...they are (or were at the time that I did it) more about the way Disney operates.

*digs out WDWCP learning program folder*

The classes I took were performance excellence leadership competencies, cast excellence, guest satisfaction, business results, and career strategies. My classes were held every other Wednesday around lunchtime. I remember there being some info before I got there about taking distance learning classes from some school, but I didn't pay it any attention, and didn't know anyone who signed up for those classes either. In my opinion, taking the time away from your living/learning/earning experience to do some online homework just is not worth the extra 3 credits you'd be getting. Enjoy the free admission to WDW while you can

By the way, my program was 4 months long, but I believe that they are longer than that now...like 6 or 7 months long. If you attend a WDWCP presentation at a school, which I highly recommend over just applying online, they will tell you specifically what time frame you would be working there.

-Julie

Alas, my parents had me decline because they didn't want me doing it this early.

Well, the upside is that I will still be able to do security for THON (http://www.THON.org) next semester. Also, I'm currently in training with the Penn State Paranormal Society to be an investigator and now I can finish that as well. *Shameless plug* Check out our show, Paranormal U, on A&E next year! *End shameless plug* I'm going to apply for the program next fall so hopefully I get accepted again.

I was going to do the program for spring semester as well, got accepted, and turned it down due to pep band and also I'm actually taking classes I'll be enjoying next semester.

Hopefully I'll be in for the Fall or Spring 2007 program. Probably Spring because I don't want to give up marching band in the fall.

Well, sad to hear you turned it down, but they'll offer it again, no worries.

I'm on the College Program currently as well. I've been here since January and I'm leaving in January. I'm a Character Performer. *Shameless plug* Come check out Christmas Parade at Magic Kingdom! */Shameless Plug*

This is my second CP, my first was Operations at the Living Seas and Soarin' and that experience was amazing as well.

The program offers so many benefits and so many opportunties. The best part are the friends you make and the people you work with. Your job may suck, but the people are amazing.

I've wanted to do this for a long time but I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to do it as its not a summer internship and I don't want to miss a semester as many classes I need are offered one semester a year and at 40k a year spending more time here isn't that great of an option. The program definately looks like a lot of fun and like a great opportunity, so hopefully I can do it or something like it the summer after school or something like that.