TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is your favorite seat on a coaster and why?

Guest CoastinKatie

I know this may sound weird, but reading TR's makes me wonder, why do you like a certain seat?

Better ride in general?

Visuals?

Airtime?

As an example of my home park KW. I prefer the middle of PR just for the incredible airtime that it provides.

The Jack Rabbit I love in the back seat. Nothing like a leather belt and a grab bar to hold you in on the double down.

But most other coasters I ride front or middle. I am young, well not that young, but I have pretty bad back problems. Riding in the back seat almost tends to kill me. I have tried some in the back seat and I can handle it, but not on most coasters. (Yes even the smooth beemers tend to hurt me at least in the back).

So what's your favorite seat on different coasters and why?

Katie

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like sitting in the very front because of the view.

Most of the time when I ride is new for me I sit in the very front my first ride. Then my next ride I sit in the very back... And then any ride after that I sit closer to the said I liked better.. that has the shortest line.

Pretty much always the front for me, I just love the unobstructed view. It heavily depends on the queue for the ride though, as if i've waited for a while and the front row queue is quite long, then i'll just sit wherever I can get.

I love sitting in the front seat, as you get the best view of your surroundings and the overall experience. Being that KW is also my home park, I ride the Phantom R. In the fornt always, maybe twice or thrice in the middle and once in the back. I don't like the "jerky-ness" in the back seats of coasters.

Mantis is jerky in the back seat, but I love that coaster.....dido for the Phantom..

Dave"I LOVE KENNYWOOD & THE PHANTOM'S REVENGE"Knight

FRONT!! because of the view, it's usually not as rough, more fun for onride pictures. Usually I will ride wherever, but I try to avoid the back seat on wooden coasters, because I am getting too damn old for that.

Shari "I try to avoid an any seat that will cause a concussion" Shoufler

I usually like sitting in the back. On a Pinfari coaster, it may seem that it goes slow but when you sit in the back that thing flys! :shock: When you ride in the back you can't feel the brakes slowing you down unlike the front of the train. I usually sit in the front when I just want to go on a calm ride because the front never feels fast or intense. But it also depends on the coaster.

It really depends on the coaster for me. Given the opportunity, I like to try front, back, and middle. If I know that I'm probably only going to ride the coaster once or twice because of a long line, then I'll usually go to the front seats first, then if I ride it again, I'll go to the back seats if the line isn't too ridiculous. If the lines are long for front and back, then I'll just go wherever the shortest line is.

Coasters certainly do have a very different ride in different seats, and different seats on different trains. For example: I rode Demon at PGA several times Saturday. For the first couple rides, I went straight to the back since there basically was no line. The ride was bumpy and shaky, but I got that nice whip over the first drop that I really like. Later in the day when the line was longer, I went to the back of the 4th car since that was the shortest line. To my surprise, the ride through the vertical loops was as smooth as butter. (The corkscrew was just an bone jarring as ever though.) Then, we went back around for another go. I had my wife ride with me in the back of the 4th car to show her how smooth it was through the loops. Problem is, we were on the other train this time. It banged and rattled its way through the course the same way the back seats do on both trains. Go figure...

There are some coasters in which I will sit in a specific seat (i.e. Chang- front row, far left). Most generally though, I prefer the front row for steel coasters and the back row for woodies. There are exceptions to that though and here are some notables:

Front seat woodies:

Son of Beast

Racer (PKI)

Screamin' Eagle (SFSL)

Back seat steels:

Phantom's Revenge

Vortex (PKI)

Magnum XL-200

The only seats I'm really picky about are . . .

Front seat on S:RoS for sure, you HAVE to do that one once in your life.

Front seat on TTD just for the insane amount of wind to your face (and some times metal chards too!)

Back right seat on Raptor so you get ripped off the hill and kick the sky!

Front seat on Villain because you get some decent air and don't get beat up.

1:3 on Maggie for an insanely fun ride with painful airtime.

1:2 on Phantom's Revenge for visuals and air.

Back seat on Raging Bull for the same reason as Raptor, getting ripped off the hill and great air!

I usually like sitting in the back because right when you get to the top of the lift you don't dangle there for forever. But the downside to the back is it is usually more rough and you get headaches faster.

So what's your favorite seat on different coasters and why?

Back seat. always. any coaster.

I like the way the back rows get 'pulled' over the main lift hill from the inertia of all the rows in front of them. The few times I rode up front I didn't like slowly going down the first drop and waiting for all the other cars until the speed kicked in. The back seat has always felt, to me, faster and a little more out of control since you can't always see what's coming up. You just have to go with it and take the turns and inversions as they come at you.

That and less chances of getting bugs in your teeth.

The only exception I have found to this is Disney World's Space Mountain, where the front seat is preferable since it's enclosed and dark and the ride isn't spoiled by just watching the heads of the people in front of you.