TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lightning Bolt at MGM Grand

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rode it when it was an outdoor ride. Lightning Bolt was actually one of my first coasters! I have video of it somewhere. I can upload it here if you want.

But yeah, there wasn't really all that much to it when I rode it. They hadn't added the additional track yet so basiclly it was just a lift hill, two helixes, then back into the station. It's a bummer the park isn't around anymore though.

Well I did some research and the reason they moved it was they reduced the park size by 40%. My only memory of the intact park was when I was four years old. I could only remember the crappy Jungle Cruise type attraction,

Anyways, thanks for the info!

And yes the video would be much appreciated J man!

MGM Grand Adventures! I spent one of the best summers of my high school career working there. I think about all the good and bad times that were had as I drive past its remnants everyday.

Indoors recap

Like everyone else said, when it was indoors it had a cheesy essence-of-space-mountain-but-not-really thing going on. It was located on 'New York Street' near the main park entry. Its entrance was something akin to a theatre entrance with a marquee on the side of the building.

Once in the door you went down a plain hallway into a mirrored room with a large neon display on the ceiling (yes it was very half-assed). This room contained switchbacks which i never saw used. Then you went through a doorway into a darkened area and up a short set of stairs. Fake recordings could also be heard similar to those you hear on the real Space Mountains. By now you were at the station - dimly lit in blacklights with fake warning signs about space traveller safety and what not.

Across from the loading zone was a large screen painted with something resembling a nebula. On the loading side there were no airgates so the crew had to un-hook each and every row to let you take a seat. There were 10 cars that fit two passengers each, restrained by a non-padded T-Bar restraint. Like Robb said the cars had high sides and really low seats (raised less than a foot off the floor).

The ride...

You started with a 90 degree left turn and immediately up the 35ft lift hill via a tire drive system. There were screens of white fiber optic lights on both sides to give the cheesy effect of outer space with a swirling light projection at the top of the lift. There was also a very destinctive sound effect as you ascended which was actually quite loud and could be heard pretty much throughout the queue.

Off the lift you descended a shallow portion of track before turning 90 degrees to the left again and hitting the main drop. Suprisingly this drop, while short, did manage to produce air in the back. After this the ride was already halfway over. At the bottom of the drop you spun through a right handed upward then downward helix and then repeated the same on the left and a final left turn in the brakes. On the floor to the left of the brake run was a large model of the Las Vegas Strip as if you were coming in for a landing.

Once past the model you entered another dark area where more sound effects and strobe lights flashed (this is where they took your picture). Then the train traveled over a small hump (for the exit walkway to pass under) and reintered the station. There was an on-ride photo station at the exit.

So thats pretty much it. Nothing spectacular. But for me being 10 - 12 years old, it was something special for us kids that lived in Vegas and really didnt have anything for us.

By the time I got a job there the park had been remodeled and the coaster moved. One interesting note is that when they first moved it, they kept its original layout (minus the random camelhump between the brakes and station.) It was a good few months before they added the second half of the ride. Too bad they didnt change the trains in the expansion - would have made it better. But he expansion did allow them to run two trains as they now effectively had a midcourse braek with the second, taller 70ft lift.

I rode Lightning Bolt once when it was still indoors back in 1995. At the time, the park was doing something called MGM "Scream Park," sort of a Haunt-like transformation with mazes and such. It wasn't bad, but not up to Knott's or Universal standards.

Eric

Thanks for posting. Dragon at La Ronde is its close cousin. Same train but without those huge headrests and with padded lap bars. The ride is very tame, but some nice effects. The lifthill has some fireball lights on the wall, eyes through a window, dead bodies (there was originally 3, but the most graphic one was removed) and some floating eyes. A fence with sparks over our head and you see the dragons. You go through the mouth and stomach and you have an helix around a lighted up crystal to finish... Very short, but great for families!

Thanks for posting! I did some more research and found out that their Deep Earth Exploration dark ride was the precursor to The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman at IOA. It's sad that a park with so much potential was not taken care of. I also think that when the park was downsized it lost it's better half.

At least The Adventuredome is still around.