TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shockwave @ SFGAm

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lift motor was installed at the Demon. Other various parts still exist in the park during Fright Fest.

Thats why it feels like the train rolls back and gives out on the Demon now

But yeah, I loved this ride. I remember waiting no more then 10 mins for it and it was always memorable sight when going into the park. Since the first time Ive been to the park, I always remember seeing Shockwaves blue track and huge white supports when driving down the road. That was how we knew we were close, when we saw the Sky Tower and Shockwave. Shockwave is the most memorable thing in my mind when I think of SFGAm. I also remember walking back to the car after closing and watching the last cycles on Shockwave run. I still have that vivid image in my mind when the train would go through the pretzel loop and the on ride photo going off. The flash would light up the entire deserted parking lot and the almost empty and silent surroundings. It was the only thing that existed at the time the train passed through the pretzel loop. Followed by the screams and laughing as the train went through the corkscrews and the brakes.

The first time I went on Shockwave was when I was 7 and we were leaving the park. We left early that night and I was staring at Shockwave. I was like, mom, we have to go on Shockwave. PLEASE!!!!!! The main reason I wanted to go on it was because I though the onride photo thing was a strobe light, and at the time I loved playing with strobe lights. So me and my dad walked back in to the park, running, to get on it before it closed. We walked up to the entrance and there were still some people walking in the line. So we walked up to the train and I got on. I was so nervous and scared but my dad calmed me down. As we ascended the lift hill, I could see the sky line of the city and the brake lights off cars leaving the parking lot. The rest of the ride I remember the flashing of light and the sky spinning around as we went thought the loops. When we got into the station, I was in shock and I was amazed! Ever since then, I was obsessed with that ride, it was always a priority everytime we went. And I cryed when we saw it closed in 2002...for good.

Doesn't matter to me what they tore down, the only part that's sad is that they built S:UF in it's place.

Of course, seeing the dismantled parts the year after it was taken down was beyond depressing. When I think of my first trip ever to SFGam, Shockwave was always in the skyline.

Laura " " Huls

You know I still remember getting to the park and everybody ran to the Shockwave to get on it.

People still run to get to the entrance of Superman but it is not the same.

Did anyone notice this execpt for me. The entrance to Superman is in a building with With columns and railings, but Shockwave's was blue. Did they paint the blue white? Why they would I don't know. One of Superman's colors is blue. The line is in the same place so.

Go figure!!

Yeah, that one front building is still from Shockwave. But the rest is all either new or moved and re painted. Because, S:UF actually has grass around it .

One more thing I remembered was riding 'Condor' and seeing Shockwave going through the first loop. That was one of SFGAm's signature shots one almost all of there commercials. The condor up at full height and the train going in the first loop.

I remember going to SFGAm in 1996, when I really hated coasters! I remember walking from the parking lot and just being captivated by it...and trying to figure out why anyone with half a brain would want to ride it! hahaha The first drop looked really terrifying to me, and for years it stood as one of those coasters that was just way too scary to ever humor riding!

I got kinda sad last year when I was planning my trip to SFGAm, and realized that that big coaster I was scared of was Shockwave, and that I'd never get the chance to ride it :-/

-Julie

The only things I can think of when I remember Shockwave are "big" and "rough". I was only 12 and not so into coasters, but that was probably the worst coaster of my day at SFGAm. It's funny, Demon stands out in my memory as being on of my favorite rides of the day, when it's just a smaller, themed version of Shockwave.

I always remember being little and waiting in the front entrance waiting for my sister and dad to ride Shockwave. The first drop seemed so monumental when I was so little! I just wish that I had the courage to ride it when it was still around. Hopefully I can go to SFGAdv and ride Great American Scream Machine before it gets scrapped.

After riding GASM at GAdv last year I realized it was a lot smoother than Shockwave. But SW the 2 consecutive loops were flat out insane cause there was no trim anywhere except the midcourse block, good times.

Either way SW was a good ride and great for marathoning cause it was so unpopular (went on it about 30 times a visit). No big deal it was taken out, as I said earlier, there were only a select few that still liked it and SUF is way more popular.

On the topic of what remains of Shockwave, one of the largest pieces that remains is the actual ride building itself. It is now enclosed and used for storage in the boneyard complete with head back signs still hanging.

I don't think the lift motor was installed on demon yet as it is still sitting inside the station (as storage).

The booster tires and air tanks were all kept though the air tanks are now only useful as a angry wasp hive. They didn't take to kindly to me getting some of Shockwave's chain for another park.

The First time I went to SFGA when I was driving down the entrance to the parking lot, the first thing I saw was this huge blue coaster, and for that visit and a few more after that, it was an awesome ride.. when I had gone out there 2 years before it was dismantled, i was all excited and pumped, little did I know it was going to be one of the roughest rides on a coaster, I banged my head so many times, jerked this way and that way, man it sucked..however I was still actually upset when I heard they were taking it down. I didn't hate the coaster, it just wasnt in my top 10 anymore. but it was a fun ride none the less, I loved that first drop!!

AD video for Shockwave---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgm_OaaIAMM

One time we tricked a friend (who hated coasters) that we were in line for the Condor and it wasn't until we got to the station and that freaky voice was all scary ("WELCOME TO THE SHOCKWAVE!") that he started swearing like it was his job. It the funniest thing ever. Go me.

Laura "I learned some new 4 letter words that day" Huls

The first time I went to SfGam was Shockwave's last season. I wish I had known that... It was cool seeing it tower over the parking lot, and being able to watch it while we were waiting to leave.

Though I always found it a little odd they had Shockwave installed with having Demon. To me, that's like having Medusa and then adding Hydra, they're the same concept, just different height and elements. Still, none the less, it was a great ride and it is missed.

But a few years ago, before it was scrapped, there was a rumor posted on Screamscape that it was going to be repainted and possibly reconstructed somewhere else in the park. But I'm not sure where they would have found the room.