TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

"Kramer's" Racist Tirade -- Caught on Tape

Chase

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That guy is a mess.

Also the guy heckling was as mess too. I read some article where the guy Kramer was yelling at said he was only doing some "friendly heckling". If I was in that audience, I would have told him to shut the h*ll up. I paid to hear the comedian, not the jerks in the audience.

What's wrong with people anyway?

If anyone caught his apology on Letterman last night, you would see that he obviously regrets what he said. I don't think he's racist, I just think he used horrific judgment in a moment of anger. Many comedians have said that he's not done stand-up for long and doesn't know how to deal with hecklers.

Obviously, what he said was absolutely wrong.

I think Richards was justified with some of his remarks.

I am not racist and I don't believe he is either. If you have ever listened to a black comedian, they insult whites and call us crackers and any other thing you can think of to insult us. Now if a white comedian says even ONE bad thing, we get yelled at, as shown in this video.

You can clearly see that Richards tried to go back into jokes two times in this

video clip.

His first remarks are that the man would of been strung up in a tree, which he would of been 50 years ago. (Sad to say this about my own country) Then Richards proceeds to point UPWARDS yelling, "He's a ******" towards an imaginary tree.

He proceeds to start into a joke by saying, "See this shocks you, to see whats buried beneath you stupid mother*uckers" while motioning towards the crowd. This was meant to say that the people that would of strung the man in the audience up in the tree, and would shout racial slurs are the same people as the ones sitting in the audience. (I have never seen a full length comedy routine by Richards so I do not know if he uses works like "mother*ucker" alot.)

After being yelled at more at the audience there is an evident video break where at least 10 seconds could of elapsed (notice Richards is on one side of the stage one second then the other the next). Richards points out that he cant be arrested for calling a black man what he did.

Richards tried to continue on with the joke by trying to link the situation at hand with his joke but that is where he really seemed racist. He comes off this way because people really didn't know the setting and that he was actually trying to tell a joke.

Saying "You would have been strung up from a tree 50 years ago" while true, still isn't alright to say.

Just like if someone said to a Jewish person "60 years ago you would have been thrown into a furnace" that would be taken as a seriously offensive remark.

hoys makes a point. I mean, I agree maybe he stuff is a bit too much and edgy, but I don't think the guy is a racist. Good point about black comedians, Im not racist, but you could go to a black comedy club or watch tv and see some pretty "racist" stuff ( I dont think theyre really racist either, its just their kind of comedy) But i do think black comedians can do it, why is it so sacred for us to use the "taboo N word". Blacks use it amonst themselves as well as "cracker" to decribe whites in comedy acts many times, so maybe thi was all just blown up. Not that im offended by the use of cracker, since like I mentioned earlier, I dont think they are being racist its part of the comedy act and they never use it in a serious manner. I fyoure overly sensative then don't watch that type of comedy. I dunno, it could be taken different ways since I dont really know what happened in those 10 seconds and I dont usually watch his comedy.

I think Richards was justified with some of his remarks.

I am not racist and I don't believe he is either. If you have ever listened to a black comedian, they insult whites and call us crackers and any other thing you can think of to insult us. Now if a white comedian says even ONE bad thing, we get yelled at, as shown in this video.

You can clearly see that Richards tried to go back into jokes two times in this

video clip.

His first remarks are that the man would of been strung up in a tree, which he would of been 50 years ago. (Sad to say this about my own country) Then Richards proceeds to point UPWARDS yelling, "He's a ******" towards an imaginary tree.

He proceeds to start into a joke by saying, "See this shocks you, to see whats buried beneath you stupid mother*uckers" while motioning towards the crowd. This was meant to say that the people that would of strung the man in the audience up in the tree, and would shout racial slurs are the same people as the ones sitting in the audience. (I have never seen a full length comedy routine by Richards so I do not know if he uses works like "mother*ucker" alot.)

After being yelled at more at the audience there is an evident video break where at least 10 seconds could of elapsed (notice Richards is on one side of the stage one second then the other the next). Richards points out that he cant be arrested for calling a black man what he did.

Richards tried to continue on with the joke by trying to link the situation at hand with his joke but that is where he really seemed racist. He comes off this way because people really didn't know the setting and that he was actually trying to tell a joke.

No. The guy lost his mind. It's really obvious that he totally lost it there. It wasn't some joke gone wrong. That was one of the most openly racist tirades I've ever seen up on a stage, if not the most.

I never liked Seinfeld anyway.

I think Michael Richards is losing his mind, basically. He can't cope with the fact that he'll always be Kramer, no matter what he does now, and he'll never be able to top his Seinfeld days. Jason Alexander, Julia-Louis Dreyfuss, they're all suffering from this...Richards was just the first to crack, and do something controversial out of this frustration.

I do think that he was on some sort of substance when this happened, too. Again, given his current situation in his life and career, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he's turned to drugs (I don't say drugs AND alcohol, because that's a redundancy...Alcohol IS a drug).

actually that links right to the video again, and more i see it, I think the guys maybe were too "sensative" as it was part of a joke, they just got up and left and started him calling him a cracker and white boy, which, well, THAT was uncalled for as well on their part. There is the skip where we dont know whats going on. And he does say whats buried beneath you, as in, talking about the stupic crap the south used to do, just my take on it more i see it.

This is 100% not p.c. and in another occasion or place it will be racisim, but when you go to see "stand up" there is kind of silent rules that "anything goes".

I've been to shown in which the preformer went down to the crowd and went hard on people about their nose, origin, color, shirt, firlfriend, boyfriend, glasses, voice, fat, sex etc. I also was a victim once and it felt bad and this is why I don't like to go to these live shows anymore.

But the point is that things get pretty wilde on stand ups and this is a fact.

On the other hand, I ask myself where he got all this idea .. and well I believe that deep inside he is a racist. But still on stage he is allowed to do it.

hoys makes a point. I mean, I agree maybe he stuff is a bit too much and edgy, but I don't think the guy is a racist. Good point about black comedians, Im not racist, but you could go to a black comedy club or watch tv and see some pretty "racist" stuff ( I dont think theyre really racist either, its just their kind of comedy) But i do think black comedians can do it, why is it so sacred for us to use the "taboo N word". Blacks use it amonst themselves as well as "cracker" to decribe whites in comedy acts many times, so maybe thi was all just blown up. Not that im offended by the use of cracker, since like I mentioned earlier, I dont think they are being racist its part of the comedy act and they never use it in a serious manner. I fyoure overly sensative then don't watch that type of comedy. I dunno, it could be taken different ways since I dont really know what happened in those 10 seconds and I dont usually watch his comedy.

You know, when the Dave Chappelle show was on people asked me what I thought about it. I said that Dave and others like him set back "black comedy" 20 years. Before this "resurgence", the comedians realized that it wasn't ok to say the "N" word during there routines and tried to relate their experiences rather than tried to put a little intelligence in their routines. Some where along the line, along with what I term "the ghetto-ization of America"--where people somehow think it's ok to walk around and and speak like they are ignorant, comedians started using these words more in their routines and this makes people think it's ok to say those words. Guess what. It's not. And that goes for blacks as well.

I hung out with some of my friend's friends one night and one of his latin friends called me the "N" word like a person would call someone their brother. I immediately chastised him for using that word. That word should be stricken from EVERYONE'S vocabulary.

Now on the subject "if they can say it, why can't we"...

Imagine hanging out with your friends and one jokingly called you a derogatory name. Just use the worst word you can think of and it doesn't have to be about race. You may jokingly hit him or laugh it off, because you and friend know each other and it's been established that by the virtue of knowing each other you can call each other those names. You may not like that word and you may even tell your friend not to call you that anymore, but you're not totally going to get bent out of shape over it.

Now imagine somebody you don't know comes up to you and calls you that same word. You'd be ready to fight, won't you?

Same thing applies here. People from a common group can choose to call each other names that they may find offense when people from outside that group says the same thing. Should people within that group use those words? Probably not. By continually using that word, you are keeping it as part of the language and culture. When others see you use that word, they may think eventually they can use that word, or they may think that you are cool enough with them to actually use it, when nothing could be further of the truth.

The solution: To me, not using the word at all across the board.

Is Kramer racist? Let's look at the context of how he said it. I think he is intelligent enough to know dropping the "N" word is a bad thing. Did he say it to show friendship or did he use it in a hurtful way? If you listened to the tape, it sounds like he was trying to hurt the guy in the audience and used that word to hurt him. Now I won't say Kramer is racist, but he certainly has his biases against certain races that guide his decisions about others. People in his position keep their biases and prejudices to themselves--those would be 'career-enders'; and only when they lose control that people actually see them. Racist is a strong word so I won't attribute that to him; I've seen on other forums where people are a lot worse than him.