TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

"Summers" syndrome

As for MS at Cedar Point: I did not have the trim brakes on when I rode it in 2000 (when were trims installed..?). Why not ask the operators if the brakes can be switched off down the 1st drop?

Ride operators do not control trim brakes. Computers programmed by engineers and mechanics control trim brakes. You can't just flip a switch to turn off trims--it's much more complex than that.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, American Eagle is a great ride, and Six Flags really seems to run it with minimal trims, which is great. My ride this year on it was perfect--the helix was retracked, which allowed for a really fast, intense, positive-g-filled helix. It was marvelous. And the airtime hills had some great air (especially in the front, red side). And, of course, Viper has been a great ride for quite some time.

They have projects for Eagle every year, this offseason the top of the drop to the giant helix both sides are being re-tracked, which is kinda sad cause they just painted that but theyll probably paint it again after they finish this spring. And I believe the other red train is getting major rehab (though with all the work that zone of maintenence has to do this winter, it wouldnt surprise me if that were put off).

How a coaster ages is largely a function of the amount of maintenance done on the coaster. I would anticipate Voyage aging well, as HW prides itself on quality maintenance of wooden coasters.

Hades was brand new last year and has not aged well. Coasters carrying as much speed through the tunnel as Hades dows need a LOT of maintenance to keep a smooth ride, and Mt. O isn't known for their care of wooden coasters.

As for MS at Cedar Point: I did not have the trim brakes on when I rode it in 2000 (when were trims installed..?). Why not ask the operators if the brakes can be switched off down the 1st drop?

Ride operators do not control trim brakes. Computers programmed by engineers and mechanics control trim brakes. You can't just flip a switch to turn off trims--it's much more complex than that.

While this is true for the brakes that were part of the initial ride. Many of the "after-market" trim brakes such as on Mean Streak's drop, Mantis' drop, and Magnum's turnaround, are pretty much just "flip a switch". But still, thats' a maintenance task, and not something the operators can do.

Many of the "after-market" trim brakes such as on Mean Streak's drop, Mantis' drop, and Magnum's turnaround, are pretty much just "flip a switch". But still, thats' a maintenance task, and not something the operators can do.

In the case of Magnum's trims, that is untrue. They can be dialed up or down, or turned off completely by the op on controls.