TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Moving Out: Things to Think About

WalrusMan

Hey you all, I lurk around here sometimes, used to post here more. Just wondering if you guys can help me...

It's looking like I'm going to move out this winter, although I'd like to be really prepared for stuff, financially that is. I've worked out some stuff where I've figured out some expenses, both monthly and immediate costs but wondering if you guys can add in some things you've experienced.

Immediate Costs

-Original rent (what is this, 2 months right?)

-New Car

-Moving costs

Monthly Costs

-Rent

-Food

-Gas

-Car Insurance

-Health Insurance

-Utilities (if they aren't included with rent)

-Extra Cash for fun/Emergencies

I'm gonna be workin full time for at least the first "semester" I'm there (I'm 1.5 semesters though college) so money probably won't be a problem, I'm just wondering what other expenses you can see. Thanks for anything you guys can come up with.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind all of the charges to either 'setup' or 'transfer' all of your utilities.

Robb and I just moved so these are pretty fresh in my mind.

Gas - about $15 transfer fee

Electricity - about $25 transfer fee

DirecTV - Nothing!

Water/Trash/Sewer - $5 New application fee

Also, if you're out on your own for the first time the utilities may also require a deposit from you.

Don't forget stuff like Internet, Cell Phone, you know all those 'extra' utilities!

Make sure to break down your utilities, so you get a better ideas of what each costs. Cable, phone service, internet, gas, electricity, water, etc.

And you'll have your deposit (1 month's rent) + your first month's rent due right away. That can be a chunk of change. As for moving, unless you've got a ton of stuff, get a UHaul and a bunch of friends. Pay them in pizza and beer (or soda).

Good luck!

Definitely look closely at your utilities

Some counties/city offer budget billing to get your electric bill to be the same year round (In Savannah mine was extraordinary in summer and non-existant in winter). It can help with budget.

Also, like Elissa said - remember cell phone, internet, etc... These for some reason always fly under my radar when I am budgeting, and they do add up to a significant expense.

Also - some apartments cover water/sewer/trash and others don't. I was caught a few years ago without water because I thought it was included in my rent.

I have found that it is a good idea to start a monthly budget, and keep track of where your money is going. Then you can find "problem areas" that you did not forsee and budget for them in the following months.

Good Luck - moving out is very exciting and rewarding.

David "about to move again" McCollum

Keep in mind all of the charges to either 'setup' or 'transfer' all of your utilities.

Robb and I just moved so these are pretty fresh in my mind.

Gas - about $15 transfer fee

Electricity - about $25 transfer fee

DirecTV - Nothing!

Water/Trash/Sewer - $5 New application fee

Also, if you're out on your own for the first time the utilities may also require a deposit from you.

Don't forget stuff like Internet, Cell Phone, you know all those 'extra' utilities!

Yea internet would be one thing I'd get..although I'd probably go back to dial up with a company offering something like NetZero ($10). Cell Phone bill I'm already paying monthly and that'd probably be my main telephone for the time being. Thanks for reminding me of that though, I hadn't thought of budgeting that in.

And you'll have your deposit (1 month's rent) + your first month's rent due right away. That can be a chunk of change. As for moving, unless you've got a ton of stuff, get a UHaul and a bunch of friends. Pay them in pizza and beer (or soda).

Yea this'll probably be the thing, get a UHaul and have a last roadtrip with my friends. Thanks for the clarification of the first monthly rent thing, now in that case where you pay essentially 2 months rent do you get the deposit back at the end of your stay or do you have to stay another month at the end of your payments?

Oh, and taxes! I live in Florida where there is no state income tax but I was shocked at how much of my paycheck I lost when I moved to Iowa 6 years ago and had to pay a state income tax. It's not something I would have thought about.

Yea, I'm used it it coming from California, I think it's about 10% with what I'm doing here. I think the sales tax would go down for me though, so that's a plus.

I have found that it is a good idea to start a monthly budget, and keep track of where your money is going. Then you can find "problem areas" that you did not forsee and budget for them in the following months.

Yea that's what I'm trying to look at except basically, I pay nothing right now lol. I'll be moving to a kind of rural area so I can't predict yet how much my gas is going to be, if I can get a job close to the apartment or if it would be farther away. But hopefully I'll have enough money saved up for starters to be able to survive a bit of that.

Thanks for all your replies (except for you nicolah ), any other suggestions are warmly welcomed!

http://www.moving.com/Find_A_Place/Relosmart/rs.asp is great if you (general) moving to a completely different area then where you're currently at. It's a calculator that'll give you some rough estimates of different cots.

http://www.gasbuddy.com/ to get a feel of what gas is like in different areas of the country.

and there are many sites to see about cost of different apartments and houses. (craigslist.org, rent.com, etc...)

^Gotta love a $1000 priviledge!!!

I will just put my 2 cents in for the budget. Here are some things that I look at every month:

Rent/Mortgage

Gas

Groceries

Directv/Cable

Cingular Wireless/Cell Phone

SBC/AT&T or whatever long distance and internet

Netflix

PG&E

Garbage

HOA Dues

Semi monthly/yearly/quarterly/whatever

DMV Registration

Car Insurance

Home Owners Insurance

Pest Control...SHEESH!

There are many more MOVING expenses than you realize too.

Good luck, everyone has to do it sometime! Somtimes it is more than once.

Don't forget laundry money! Apartment complex machines can eat your quarters pretty quickly.

And don't forget when you first move you'll end up going to Target and get towels, sheets, and for most guys, 1 spoon and 1 bowl should suffice for the kitchen. But don't forget the can opener!

As for the car, there's always the extra added pleasure of paying for a SMOG check here in Calif.