TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Freeway Airtime

I might be wierd, but on certain places when a freeway goes down suddenly, I feel airtime. Some places it's more extreme than others. There used to be this really cool place near my dad's house where the freeway went up and down several times, but they paved over it and now there's no more airtime.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt man, I know exactly what your talking about. Its really good on Highway 63 south from Columbia, MO to Jefferson City, MO. There is like a double down, and some air-hills, its awesome. There also is some slight air on certain intersctions that have particularly odd "humps" in the middle. I thought it was just me though.

There's actually a "Double Down" hill by my house and if you hit it at the right speed, you'll get the tingles in your stomach. Everyday, also, there's an intersection I cross where the cross street's kind of a hump so if the light's green and you go through, ejector airtime. Red lights are like trim brakes as you end up going slow over it when it turns green.

There are some here too, not really on freeways, but more on some 'regular' roads that we drive on quite regularly, they're nice, but the airtime, only last for like a half second.

What's better though, are some narrow, bumpy forest dirt roads near my grandma, there you get some really good 'airtime'.

As a bridge engineer, i have to state, Highways shouldn't have airtime if they are designed correctly. Other roads though...

There is a country road by my parents with two pops of air within a hundred (or so) feet. Its across a vally. Oddly, it only works in one direction.

City Boys who know nothing about the wonders of the country roads. The road between Holiday World and THe nuclear power plant was awesome, It had constants pops of air.

The street that you take to get to Holiday World when you're coming from the south has quite a few of those hills. Most of them are blind hills, and there is at least one that, if you hit it hard enough, you car would come off the ground.

-Julie

EDIT: Just realized me and julie are talking about the same road.

Where my old house was when I was little (South Brisbane suburb of 'Hill End', for the Aussies among us), there was road near it which was a pretty sharp incline. As we drove down, we'd get a significant bounce at one point and I'd go 'whoa whoa'... which is what we called it. Sadly it was re-paved so the effect is gone.

Leading up to the 'Whoa Whoa' there was also a street called Sankey Street - which is still there. Houses line both sides of it but it goes down a hill at a really sharp angle - so bordering on vertical it's not funny.

So sometimes we would be driving home and instead of going down the Whoa Whoa, Dad would suddenly turn the 'coaster' to the left to plunge down this street. Mum and I were NOT amused.

What can I say, those times were some of my earliest thrill experiences...

Next time I'm up there (it's only about an hour's drive north of where I live now) I'll try to get some shots of that Sankey Street though just so you can see how sharp the drop is.

The street that you take to get to Holiday World when you're coming from the south has quite a few of those hills. Most of them are blind hills, and there is at least one that, if you hit it hard enough, you car would come off the ground.

-Julie

I was about to post the same thing....If you're coming from Tell City heading to Holiday World, you hit a stretch of bunny hop hills which really have quite a coaster "feel" to them. My kids BEGGED me to turn around and "go again"....which I was only too happy to oblige...