TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 261: Arvest Bank announces 10 year sponsorship deal

OMG! I finally got a chance to ride Outlaw Run today and yeah Rob was not lying that ride kiss all sorts off ass! Seriously go ride it! Also I was talking to a few higher ups ((cough)) Pete Herschend during the ACE event and was told to keep our eyes open for 2015 and that well be pretty happy! Although I don't know if I could be happier than I am with Outlaw Run!

Thanks guys very much for the info!

Jfruge,

About the route - google maps takes me up US75 from Dallas North into Oklahoma to I-40, east into Arkansas to I-540. North on I-540 to around Bentonville area then east on US-62 through Pine Knob Conservation area to finally coming up to Silver Dollar City from the south on 13. This way looks more direct but looks like the scenery would be pretty nice.

Google Maps has an alternate route to take I-44 through Northern Oklahoma to Springfield then down to Branson. I'm assuming this is the one you mentioned takes forever?

Thanks again!

I would take I-44 to Springfield. I talked to some Dallas people at the park last summer that went through Arkansas and they said it took forever.

This. I made that same trip for the media event...took almost 8 hours. Lots of two lane roads.

Jfruge,

About the route - google maps takes me up US75 from Dallas North into Oklahoma to I-40, east into Arkansas to I-540. North on I-540 to around Bentonville area then east on US-62 through Pine Knob Conservation area to finally coming up to Silver Dollar City from the south on 13. This way looks more direct but looks like the scenery would be pretty nice.

Google Maps has an alternate route to take I-44 through Northern Oklahoma to Springfield then down to Branson. I'm assuming this is the one you mentioned takes forever?

Thanks again!

I would take I-44 to Springfield. I talked to some Dallas people at the park last summer that went through Arkansas and they said it took forever.

This. I made that same trip for the media event...took almost 8 hours. Lots of two lane roads.

OK, if he is coming 540 from 40. Again take 412. Weather you avoid Springdale, by going through Fayetteville to get the the east side of Springdale, it is 4 lane to nearly Huntsville now, there it's two lane to Alpena. that's about a 35 mile stretch but there's some passing areas that's been installed in the past couple of years. Once to Alpena, it's four lane divided the rest of the trip to Branson, From Alpena to 65 at Harrison is about fifteen miles, and from 65 to Branson it's 25 to 30ish. Using Atl traffic 265 will bypass the strip from the south and as an added bonus he crosses Table Rock Dam. Going to Joplin to Springfield and back down saves no time, I've done it. It's just the unfamiliarity of the 2 lane that makes it seem long. Under no circumstance would I take meandering 62 from 540 to Berryville to Kimberling City to SDC. I'd rather pull my teeth. That is all two lane and usually with a good bit of traffic. If the poster wanted to go through Kimberling City, Still go 412 and there's two ways to get to Arkansas 21/Mo13 but it's two lanes either way but better than 62 unless the man wants to experience Eureka Springs

It's never more than 2 hrs from my home in Fayetteville to SDC even with a grandma or a rv getting in the way from time to time. I've made this trip around a hundred times.

Sad to hear about the continued break-downs on OR, but I'm glad they've been doing so well in working through the difficulties and getting it open every day. They are still dedicated to doing their best. I hope they can get these issues fixed before the really busy late summer hits.

Sounds like Pete is basically saying to expect another coaster in 2015 from what Grapeslie reports. He doesn't kid around when he drops these hints. I just wonder if they'll go after the thrill-crowd again so soon, or if we're going to get an iteration of what DW is getting next year...

Sad to hear about the continued break-downs on OR, but I'm glad they've been doing so well in working through the difficulties and getting it open every day. They are still dedicated to doing their best. I hope they can get these issues fixed before the really busy late summer hits.

Sounds like Pete is basically saying to expect another coaster in 2015 from what Grapeslie reports. He doesn't kid around when he drops these hints. I just wonder if they'll go after the thrill-crowd again so soon, or if we're going to get an iteration of what DW is getting next year...

You know someone else has mentioned or let's say hinted that is bigger than Outlaw Run and # 2 on the three major projects list with Outlaw Run being the first.

Thanks again Chittlins and everyone else for the guidance on the best way to SDC from Dallas. I think I'll the 412 option on the way there and stop by Kings River Store from something fried! My way back I'll be beat from a day of adrenaline so perhaps I'll take the I-44 option where i can mostly stick to interstates and not have to concentrate as much. I'll give my .02 on which route I prefer.

Thanks again Chittlins and everyone else for the guidance on the best way to SDC from Dallas. I think I'll the 412 option on the way there and stop by Kings River Store from something fried! My way back I'll be beat from a day of adrenaline so perhaps I'll take the I-44 option where i can mostly stick to interstates and not have to concentrate as much. I'll give my .02 on which route I prefer.
'

Then there's the Bass Pro mothership in Springfield.

PM me and I'll try to explain the best way to get to 412 from 540 without going through Springdale, which is very stop and go with traffic.

Okay, so I have no way of knowing if this is true but a few whispers I keep hearing are that SDC is going back back to B&M to give us B&M's first fourth dimension coaster. Again I don't have any way of proving this it's just a couple whispers I've heard. We shall know soon enough I suppose.

Okay, so I have no way of knowing if this is true but a few whispers I keep hearing are that SDC is going back back to B&M to give us B&M's first fourth dimension coaster. Again I don't have any way of proving this it's just a couple whispers I've heard. We shall know soon enough I suppose.

I've never been there before, but from what I've seen of the park, a huge 4D coaster seems like an odd choice.

Actually it sort of fits what SDC has been doing lately. Their rides are getting more and more intense. People get this idea of SDC being a family park with low thrills but trust me recently their rides have been getting more intense. I wouldn't say Powder Keg is a family ride and Outlaw Run is anything but. SDC is starting to push the thrills in their park so their next coaster will most likely be bigger and more thrilling than the last! Although it's gonna be damned hard to beat Outlaw Run that ride is sick!

Jfruge,

Thanks again!

I live south of OKC and I take 35 to 44 and then south on 65 into Branson . 5 hours tops. North Dallas is 2.5 hours straight south on 35 from me. I can't imagine a better route. OK turnpikes are 75mph so is i35 north of Denton to OK border.

Jfruge,

Thanks again!

I live south of OKC and I take 35 to 44 and then south on 65 into Branson . 5 hours tops. North Dallas is 2.5 hours straight south on 35 from me. I can't imagine a better route. OK turnpikes are 75mph so is i35 north of Denton to OK border.

Most folks here in Fayetteville get to Dallas in under 6 hrs. We have a very larger student pop at the U of A from the Metroplex and it's growing as we offer in state tuition to qualified students from there. But your route is all interstate for the most part so that is a plus.

Looks like I will be going to SDC this Saturday. I am DJ'in a wedding in Dallas on Friday so I thought it may be a good weekend to check out Outlaw run. Also on the way back I can drop by Frontier City for my first time on Sunday.

Looks like I am going to try the 75 to 69 to I44 route. It's going to be a whole lot of driving this weekend since I will be starting the journey from Rosharon, TX just south of Houston on Friday.

I'm at SDC right now...waiting in line for Outlaw Run. It appears that the sensors that operate the station brakes are the guilty party in the consistent breakdowns. In fact, just now they are having to evac a train from both the lift and the pre-station brake run. I'll keep everyone updated!

^^ Johnny,

Do NOT take the I44 route, take I40 to Ft. Smith then 540 to Fayettville, then 412 to hwy 65. You will save yourself a lot of time and heartache, plus this route is free (no tolls). Outlaw Run is tending to breakdown at mostly midday hours. Try to get here early and hit it first.

Looks like I will be going to SDC this Saturday. I am DJ'in a wedding in Dallas on Friday so I thought it may be a good weekend to check out Outlaw run. Also on the way back I can drop by Frontier City for my first time on Sunday.

Looks like I am going to try the 75 to 69 to I44 route. It's going to be a whole lot of driving this weekend since I will be starting the journey from Rosharon, TX just south of Houston on Friday.

On the way there id follow the guy above's advice. 75-40-540 etc... no 69 to 44.

On the way back take 65 to 44 all of the way to frontier city. Do not take any other route as it will not be even close to as fast.

The FC water park opens Saturday. Its pretty cool if you have someone small. I'll be there Sunday so we may bump into each other... in a non creepy way lol

I think I have free admission tickets this Sunday too.

Just download and print these

https://www.frontiercity.com/season-passes/coupons/

And message me what time and I'll get you in free if I can be there at that time.

Edited by angrynerdjosh

I'm not sure of any discount tickets unless they're sold through the ticket brokers here locally. Today was a particularly busy day, Lots 1,2,3 and 5 were full plus Bus and Disabled parking, and they were moving lines quite smoothly. Outlaw Run was running both trains, but was down 3 times in the 3 hours I was at the park. I'm sure this ride is getting some last minute kinks worked out...even so, it is totally worth waiting to ride. I finally was able to take a ride in the very last seat...it is an absolute must for any coaster enthusiast. Wildfire and Thunderation were running one train a piece. Wildfire had a decent sized line, and was using all but the upstairs portion of its queue. Thunderation was all but walk-on. Today had several big named artists presenting concerts, so there were lines for the theaters that were substantially long, but again, the park ran as smooth as always, and friendly as ever. Again, if you have not ridden Outlaw Run, do yourself the favor of making the trek to Branson. I promise it's worth your while.