TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

I bet some people were saying he same thing when Son of Beast was being built.

Two very different situations. For one, it's the same track all the way through, as opposed to RCCA using Premier track for the loop. For another, RMC is going into this fresh off of NTAG. RCCA can never make such a claim even if they tried.

Two very different situations. For one, it's the same track all the way through, as opposed to RCCA using Premier track for the loop. For another, RMC is going into this fresh off of NTAG. RCCA can never make such a claim even if they tried.

So you don't think ANYONE thought Son of Beast was going to be a winner? Seriously?

I'll go ahead right now and say that I thought SOB was going to revolutionize industry and wooden coaster design. I'm not ashamed to admit it, because had it been done right, it probably would have. Unfortunately, RCCA was the low bidder.

Exactly that's all I'm saying. Sure seeing how SOB turned out I feel better about this project, but I temper all my expectations until projection completion.

So you don't think ANYONE thought Son of Beast was going to be a winner? Seriously?

I think what he means is that RMC are much more likely to revolutionize the world of wooden coasters than RCCA due to the fact RMC has a much better track record. Though to be fair they've never made a wooden coaster so we never know I guess.

Edited by australianalex

Didn't RMC help construct El Toro and T-Express? They may not have designed it...but I think they know what they're doing here! This is pre-fab track, so I couldn't imagine it will be as rough as SOB...

El Toro was built by this company based in Rotenburg, Germany. They're responsible for building Intamin's first three prefabricated wooden coasters, as well as the Tripsdrill Mammut.

You can't make assumptions about the experience of this coaster based on New Texas Giant, as it's a steel coaster; while the Topper Track system uses a steel section placed on top of several layers of wood. Check out this photo from CoasterGallery.

You also can't make assumptions about Rocky Mountain coasters in general because they haven't actually built one from scratch until now. New Texas Giant was in reality just an extensive re-profiling. So they really don't have a "track record" to go on.

That being said, the early signs are promising. Hersheypark discussion thread Mark II? I can certainly see this thread heading in that direction...

Or, better yet, you could wait until the announcement and not speculate what the element is called.

This is an ideology with which I disagree. As long as it's not blatantly stupid or flame war inducing, why should we frown upon speculation? It builds the anticipation. It's fun to predict what they are going to call it. It's not harmful, so why should it be something that we should not do?

I for one would have named this the Switchback Roll.

Because of the likelihood that TPR will have already decided what to call it by the time the official moniker is revealed and the wrong name will stick... or just be stupid.

Like NTAG.

Sorry, but I hate "NTAG" as much as I love the actual ride.

"Sharktopus" is freaking awesome as a concept, but sucks balls as the name of this element. IMHO, the element name should at least give you some kind of clue as to what it does. Sharktopus makes me expect something with legs sticking out or something.

To that effect, "Inverted Camel" or "Inverted Camelback" fit the bill even though they don't have the pizazz of sharktopus or even super Stengel.

Considering that the loop was the only part of that ride that didn't make me want to punch babies or strangle kittens due to the insufferable pain in my skull from my brain bouncing around, I'd say that using Premier track for the loop was the only thing they got right on that ride.

El Toro was built by this company based in Rotenburg, Germany. They're responsible for building Intamin's first three prefabricated wooden coasters, as well as the Tripsdrill Mammut.
Cordes only made the parts, which RMC then assembled.

edit: From RMC's website:

Clients & Portfolio

Roller Coaster Construction

Timber Terror, Silverwood Theme Park, ID

Tremors, Silverwood Theme Park, ID

Aftershock, Silverwood Theme Park, ID

The Villain, Six Flags Worlds of Adventure, OH

El Toro, Six Flags Great Adventure, NJ

Express, Wooden Coaster, Seoul, S. Korea

Timberhawk, Wild Waves and Enchanted Village, WA

Roller Coaster Repairs

Timber Terror, Silverwood Theme Park, ID

Tremors, Silverwood Theme Park, ID

The Hurricane, Myrtle Beach Pavilion, SC

Predator Wooden Roller Coaster, Darien Lake Theme Park, NY

The Boss, Six Flags St. Louis, MO

Mega Zeph, Jazzland Theme Park, LA

Twister II, Elitch Gardens Theme Park, CO

Cyclone, Six Flags Magic Mountain, CA

Cornball Express, Indiana Beach Amusement Park & Resort, IN

Hoosier Hurricane, Indiana Beach Amusement Park & Resort, IN

Well, I stand corrected then. Just another instance where I should've kept my mouth shut I guess. I totally thought that Cordes assembled them start to finish.

A curious question to those who have seen the coaster up close - will it have catwalks/handrails along its length?

You also can't make assumptions about Rocky Mountain coasters in general because they haven't actually built one from scratch until now. New Texas Giant was in reality just an extensive re-profiling. So they really don't have a "track record" to go on.

I'd consider completely re-profiling a huge traditional woodie fairly similar to building from scratch. Maybe that's just me though.

^ I would also consider what they did a little more than simply re-profiling. To me making small adjustments like was done to Boulder Dash's finale re-profiling; New Texas Giant was more like a completely new design incorporating the structure of the previous coaster.

Comparing too closely what RMC is doing now to what other companies have attempted in the past is probably a mistake. The technology at play here is vastly different, not to mention the experience. It's not just the fact that they rebuilt NTAG, just the fact that the same designer that designed Powderkeg has designed this should give some pause. Also, this track technology has been tested and proven, and the engineering involved is sound, much unlike some parts of SOB. These guys know they need this coaster to be smooth for it to be a success - it's vital to the business these days.I'm not worried about it at all.

Or, better yet, you could wait until the announcement and not speculate what the element is called.

This is an ideology with which I disagree. As long as it's not blatantly stupid or flame war inducing, why should we frown upon speculation? It builds the anticipation. It's fun to predict what they are going to call it. It's not harmful, so why should it be something that we should not do?

I for one would have named this the Switchback Roll.

Because of the likelihood that TPR will have already decided what to call it by the time the official moniker is revealed and the wrong name will stick... or just be stupid.

Like NTAG.

Sorry, but I hate "NTAG" as much as I love the actual ride.

"Sharktopus" is freaking awesome as a concept, but sucks balls as the name of this element. IMHO, the element name should at least give you some kind of clue as to what it does. Sharktopus makes me expect something with legs sticking out or something.

To that effect, "Inverted Camel" or "Inverted Camelback" fit the bill even though they don't have the pizazz of sharktopus or even super Stengel.

Where did "NTAG" come from? Shouldn't it be NTG? What is the A? Airtime?

New Texas Giant = N + TA + G

TA is the abbreviation for Texas that was used in the name.

And on that photo:

I really don't believe my eyes. That's an ungodly looking element, especially if the train hauls through it at a decent speed. Silver Dollar City is now a must see for 2013. I mean..wow.

Edited by SoCalCoasters

TX is the abbreviation for Texas. Always has been, always will be. The TA really only comes from the need to have an easy-to-say name as far as I've ever seen. I guess people pulled the A out of "Texas," but really N-T-G just doesn't roll off the tongue like N-TAG does. Granted, I've never heard someone say "NTAG" in person.

Edit: Aw man, this post looks really stuck-up and Texas-pride-filled now that you added "that was used in the name" up there.