TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 261: Arvest Bank announces 10 year sponsorship deal

4 minutes ago, PKI Jizzman said:

Hit the cinnamon bread as early as you can unless you want to wait 30+ minutes (we waited just outside of the door). We were excited for the food too, but do your best to see if the festival specific food is still available/in stock before you get in line. Twice we got in line, waited, only to be told the item was sold out. I'd say specifically avoid the Potato Patch by Time Traveler. Their skillet was mush, and did not seem fresh. We were so disappointed when we settled for that when the Pumpkin Tater Tumblers were sold out and what a waste of money. 

Try Outlaw Run in the front! The front car is so wide open, it's just incredible how freeing it is. 

American Plunge will soak you to the bone. 

They aren't doing as much festival specific foods for An Old Time Christmas and there is not Tasting Passport. This past Sunday, I was very impressed with how food lines were moving. We got in line at Wagon Works Grill just outside of the building and had our food within 10 minutes. Overall, the park seemed to be running very efficiently and had the best operations of year. 

Also, American Plunge and all other water rides are closed for the season.

That ACE event happening this weekend that was mentioned earlier has almost 200 attendees and they all have tickets for Sat and Sun so that will bump up the crowd levels just a bit. On the other hand they will try really hard to run all the coasters to not disappoint the group.

Went to the ACE event this weekend and they tried, really tried to give the event attendees morning ert but since the temps were so low the only coaster they could run before 11 when the park opened to the public was FITH. Oh well, no one can control the weather and they soothed our tortured souls with hot chocolate and pastries. The only truly ridiculous food lines I saw were for hot chocolate, it only made it out of the 40's for a couple hours in mid afternoon and that was only to about 51, so it was a cold coaster riding day. TT and OR on one train ops Sat and Sun. We noticed that OR had a different train on Sun versus Sat so that would negate the idea that a train was down since they were taking turns with both of them, and as far as we could tell they had enough staff to run two. Not sure what that is all about. Lines for both of those topped an hour by sunset when the crowds had grown to see the lights. Thankfully, we were given some skip the line passes which we used exclusively on those two since everything else generally had wait times under 30 min.

But oh my God! The parade was hilarious. If any of you read Bert's SW trip report and the stoned carousel horses he encountered then I think you will appreciate that this guy must have been at the same party. 😜

1113212007_HDR.thumb.jpg.dda0b9b91aaffb3c2de7bc83db90e8c5.jpg

• Like 2

Aw, that's unfortunate. I was supposed to drive up as for the event, but I was just too wiped out and wasn't feeling up to it after a hard week. Looks like they did a lot of other fun stuff at some of the other places around Branson though. The Coaster Christmas event has grown to include stops at two of the mountain coaster places and the weird "snowflex" thing that is basically a glorified slip n' slide. Looked like fun though. Next year I'll be sure to come up on Friday. 

OR definitely had a train in pieces back in October, so good to hear that two trains are operational again. I feel like they have been slowly getting things back together after a lack of parts earlier this year. Not sure what the whole story is, but operations were certainly rough for most of this year and they were very hesitant to run more than one train on anything. 

Sucks that TT is back to one train though. What a pain. The newest and most popular coaster down to minimal operations. Really hope we can see three train ops return someday... if that third train really does still exist and hasn't been torn apart for parts. 

3 hours ago, Shavethewhales2 said:

Aw, that's unfortunate. I was supposed to drive up as for the event, but I was just too wiped out and wasn't feeling up to it after a hard week. Looks like they did a lot of other fun stuff at some of the other places around Branson though. The Coaster Christmas event has grown to include stops at two of the mountain coaster places and the weird "snowflex" thing that is basically a glorified slip n' slide. Looked like fun though. Next year I'll be sure to come up on Friday. 

OR definitely had a train in pieces back in October, so good to hear that two trains are operational again. I feel like they have been slowly getting things back together after a lack of parts earlier this year. Not sure what the whole story is, but operations were certainly rough for most of this year and they were very hesitant to run more than one train on anything. 

Sucks that TT is back to one train though. What a pain. The newest and most popular coaster down to minimal operations. Really hope we can see three train ops return someday... if that third train really does still exist and hasn't been torn apart for parts. 

Yeah, next year they are just making it a two day event. Runaway Mt Coaster had a cool lighting package but omg it was cold riding it Fri night! Also, since ert is always iffy at this event due to temps I was told they are "working" on trailblazers for the attendees instead of ert which would be really, really nice.

Fire today at the pork rind shop, park evacuating.

https://www.ozarksfirst.com/local-news/local-news-local-news/officials-two-shops-are-on-fire-at-silver-dollar-city/

[quote]BRANSON, Mo.- According to the Southern Stone County Fire Protection District, a pork rind shop and woodcarving shop are on fire.

Fire crews are on their way, and evacuations are in progress. OzarksFirst crews say that the park is now closed.

A crew inside the park said that there were no reported injures moments after the fire. Fire crews are still putting out an active fire at this time.

This is a developing story.[/quote]

It's a very large fire unfortunately. Someone posted a photo on the sdcfans forums. It looks like the pork rind stand was completely engulfed and it spread to the furniture crafting factory and store next to it. Sigh... another area to rebuild. These buildings partly dated back to when the stagecoach was the biggest attraction at the park. The north end of the building used to be the stagecoach depot. 

Edit: just saw a photo posted on the park's FB thread announcing the fire and closure for the day. It looks like all of those buildings have pretty much completely burned down. Nothing left to save. I bet they will bulldoze the remainder next week and we will have an empty space for 2022. They will have to completely start from scratch. These buildings were on the way out anyway due to drainage and age, but it sucks to see devastation it the park like that. Thank god it was contained. You can see part of the "historic" butterfield stage depot sign that is one of the only things left standing. 

• Like 1

SDC got so focused on sharks, they forget about the threat of Bald Knobbers attacking. Its sad to see this, but it is horribly fitting considering Fire In The Hole is a short walk from where this happened. Maybe they will tie this event into the alleged new ride. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hmmm, we were there for Coaster Christmas the Sat before the fire. Back in 2018 about a week after we were at BGW for CoasterCon, Escape from Pompeii caught on fire. On the other hand I probably shouldn't be pointing out such patterns on a public forum 🤨

• Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

So I am sure many are aware of the tornado outbreak last night. Well it turns out that there was indeed a tornado near the Branson area around 7:30. (near Branson West of all places) Fortunately it dissipated before moving further east towards SDC. I can only imagine what kind of disaster that would have been if it had sustained itself and hit SDC with Christmas time crowds present. It was estimated that there were 20K+ people on site. These storms were moving between 40-60 MPH so there would be little time to react and evacuate the park with those crowd numbers.

I really think theme parks and stadiums need to close and completely cancel events on days where there's severe weather in the forecast. (even if SDC/Branson was on the western fringe of the outlook area)

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/wx/afos/p.php?pil=PNSSGF&e=202112112042

34 minutes ago, boldikus said:

shock-karen.gif.e8018dbdbaaaf2a6903d65265a458d24.gif

How mature of you. You obviously don't get it. Im a media storm chaser and I've been involved with this for over a decade and I have seen first hand accounts of what these storms can do. (just ask the people of the nearby city of Joplin) Of course ignorance is bliss. If you were present during a direct hit on a stadium, theme park, or any large event with mass casualties then people like you will sing a different tune I assure you. Hindsight is always 20/20 and it always seems it takes something like that for people to actually act. Sadly that is what it will probably take and it will eventually happen.

• Haha 1

Imagine telling parks and sports teams in the Midwest that they couldn’t open or hold events on days where a tornado watch might be issued. Imagine telling Disney to close when there’s a chance of a severe thunderstorm warning being issued that afternoon with radar indicated rotation in the forecast every single day all summer. 

Lol, get real.

• Like 5

I would love something to break into the Jets game I’m watching right now and put me out of my misery. There’s an F5 shitstorm in the middle of MetLife stadium right now and it’s called the New York Jets.

… anyway. I get it, storms are dangerous. If you want to talk about how these businesses like this need to invest in large storm shelters and comprehensive plans then I’m with you. Cedar Point putting up “storm safe” signs everywhere with little tornado icons on them when their plan is literally “I don’t know, everyone run in this bathroom I guess” that’s dumb but it’s entirely impractical to close Disney World 100 days a year and close every large venue in the Midwest any time there’s a chance of a tornado developing at some point that day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Dollywood had the common sense to delay their opening yesterday in the wake of the recent storms. https://www.facebook.com/dollywood/photos/a.240694897239/10160345845947240

Inconvenience yes? But its a sensible precaution to ensure the safety of staff and guests. If I were running a park I would do the same thing. Plus it would be a publicity nightmare if a park did continue with normal operations with prior knowledge of bad weather approaching the area and were hit. My point is more parks should follow this example.

If a park can reasonably do what Dollywood did and delay opening when the storm is only an hour or two away to save money on staffing for 2 hours when nobody would be there that’s entirely practical and parks already do that all the time.

Looking at Queue Times, the storm in Branson hit at 8pm, It was a busy day, Time Traveler got up to 80 minutes late that afternoon. They even reopened after the storm and still posted at 45 minutes.

They weren’t going to close the day and they shouldn’t be expected to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

and here I thought someone "explaining to me" that a coaster built on part of the SFFT Parking Lot is NOT a Parking Lot coaster would be the most exasperating interaction I've seen today on TPR.

Personal responsibility.

the 20K+ people who went  out to SDC can check the weather, and then it's their decision to go out or not. (or leave as a storm approaches)

it's just silliness to say that the Park shouldn't have opened because their customers are too dumb  to understand weather risk.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, bert425 said:

it's just silliness to say that the Park shouldn't have opened because their customers are too dumb  to understand weather risk.

The harsh reality is a lot of people are dumb or have the "It cant happen to me attitude." One problem that has been reiterated time and time again by meteorologists is that people are foolish waiting to hear sirens alone and/or claim they had little to no warning. Sirens are actually considered antiquated and obsolete by the meteorology community. People have lots of means for warnings nowadays with the prominence of mobile devices, GPS systems, and high speed internet. These storms were in the forecast for days by the Storm Prediction Center and Tornado Watches were put out hours before the main outbreak occurred. The actual tornado warning for the Stone/Taney/Christian county area was put out just after 7pm with a tornado confirmed to have touched down damaging homes in Branson West just after 7:30.

"Every disaster movie begins with a scientist being ignored."