Jump to content
  TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 261: Arvest Bank announces 10 year sponsorship deal

Recommended Posts

Incidentally, I was at the park on Sunday(8-22). There had to be no more than 3k at the park all day. Outside of Time Traveler and Mystic River there were hardly any wait times unless you want the front and it was only two or three trains. All coasters ran and all day at that. It was hot and the air wasn't moving much. But we first rowed ever coaster twice except for Time Traveler , we gotblucky and was assigned first and a last row on our 4 overall rides. 

 

Covid Notes,  Less than 10% were masked. Hell, I doubt 5%. The Ozarks of Missouri and Arkansas was ground zero for the Delta strain explosion. It has peaked but just now starting to fall a bit. Most all employee were but there were a few not. Mainly those that don't interact with guests or do so from a good distance.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ElvisLuv said:

The Ozarks of Missouri and Arkansas was ground zero for the Delta strain explosion.

I thought that was Florida. That's all the news ever talks about.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fayetteville is in Washington County which had a 21% growth, Benton County grew an even more impressive 28%! These are the two NWA counties that cover the communities mentioned above.

image.png.48fd2cd724f177a176717dd219950d75.png

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2021/aug/22/overall-population-growth-in-northwest-arkansas/

With I-49 finally completing in the region they are definitely anticipating continued growth which certainly doesn't hurt SDC. I haven't had a chance to get on Outlaw Run or Time Traveler yet, here's to hoping the panini press hasn't mucked everything up and more investment is in the future. It wouldn't take much to pull me back!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TEDodd said:

I thought that was Florida. That's all the news ever talks about.

It's in the middle of the pack in deaths since the pandemic, but luckily none of this has been political.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, CP_RULES said:

Fayetteville is in Washington County which had a 21% growth, Benton County grew an even more impressive 28%! These are the two NWA counties that cover the communities mentioned above.

image.png.48fd2cd724f177a176717dd219950d75.png

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2021/aug/22/overall-population-growth-in-northwest-arkansas/

With I-49 finally completing in the region they are definitely anticipating continued growth which certainly doesn't hurt SDC. I haven't had a chance to get on Outlaw Run or Time Traveler yet, here's to hoping the panini press hasn't mucked everything up and more investment is in the future. It wouldn't take much to pull me back!

The small town of Cave Springs near XNA Airport grew by 175% or some crazy number as it went from roughly 1500 to 5200 people in the past 10 years as well. It will be great to see that final 5-10 miles of I-49 that will bypass Bella Vista and connect up by Anderson, MO.

What also really needs to happen is the 612 bypass being finished in Springdale as they have only built 3 miles of it then stopped near 112 by Elm Springs. It is supposed to connect to 412 just west of Tontitown, split off to XNA, pass thru Bethel Heights and then connect on the east side of Springdale just before Sonora.

nwaroads2035.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, sdcfan88 said:

The small town of Cave Springs near XNA Airport grew by 175% or some crazy number as it went from roughly 1500 to 5200 people in the past 10 years as well. It will be great to see that final 5-10 miles of I-49 that will bypass Bella Vista and connect up by Anderson, MO.

What also really needs to happen is the 612 bypass being finished in Springdale as they have only built 3 miles of it then stopped near 112 by Elm Springs. It is supposed to connect to 412 just west of Tontitown, split off to XNA, pass thru Bethel Heights and then connect on the east side of Springdale just before Sonora.

nwaroads2035.png

While this has become a bit off topic, I am currently working the Springdale Northern Bypass (SNB - Hwy 612) section between Hwy 112 and Hwy 412 at my job. Progress in the civil engineering world is slow, especially with a poor funding source. Think of the completed SNB as the hyper SFStL will get... someday. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, TEDodd said:

I thought that was Florida. That's all the news ever talks about.

Louisiana and then the whole Redneck Riviera and  Texas border regions then the rest of Florida and now the South. But yes, the first spot that lit up like Rudolph's nose was the  Table Rock/Bull Shoals/Norfork Lake regions of the Ozarks and it has spread out from there. There is a clear correlation to vacationing hot spots likely spread by asymptomatic breakthrough cases living life normally. It just happens it was to areas where folks are resistant to vaccines.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Saw this today and I wouldn't mind seeing SDC getting another wooden coaster and built in this style. (the park really could use more wooden coasters to fit in with its theme IMO) A family dueling out and back coaster with lots of airtime hills using the terrain and flying thru the woods built by TGG or GCI would be wonderful. This and the GCI Titan Track show a lot of promise and would set it apart from Outlaw Run. It doesn't even have to be an extreme record breaker.

241733123_10159539484424028_5581889125130632461_n.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, it would be a record breaker by being the first wooden racing (not dueling) coaster built in the US in the past 40 years....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

New construction is now being reported behind Fireman's Landing. Walls are up for a likely project debuting in 2023. Probably the rumored replacement to Fire In The Hole as alluded to a few posts back.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ooooh, it's happening! Very excited about this.

 

Do we have anything at least quasi-official about them turning the backstage area between FITH and Outlaw Run into a guest path and completing that loop? Been rumoured for years, and it makes so much sense, but wondering if we have anything more than wishes and reasons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, PKI Jizzman said:

Planning on visiting the 2nd weekend in October, will they still be running their water rides? 

Stoked to finally get some night rides on their 10pm Saturday night hours!

Yes! It is the best time of year to ride without a wait. We did it most evenings we were there last fall. To help with the cooler temps, we would also bring a change of clothes for the ride home. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, PKI Jizzman said:

Planning on visiting the 2nd weekend in October, will they still be running their water rides? 

Dollywood closed there water rides a few weeks ago, a lot earlier than normal.

I think it was more people than temperature.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TEDodd said:

Dollywood closed there water rides a few weeks ago, a lot earlier than normal.

I think it was more people than temperature.
 

That's over there. I'm talking about SDC and *their* water rides ;)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PKI Jizzman said:

That's over there. I'm talking about SDC and *their* water rides ;)

Well Dollywood usually keeps them open later too.

So I wouldn't count on this year being "normal"
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, TEDodd said:

Well Dollywood usually keeps them open later too.

So I wouldn't count on this year being "normal"
 

SDC still has their water rides (minus River Blast) listed as through October 30th. It looks like DW usually closed Daredevil Falls in mid-October and River Rampage was listed as through mid-October. So not normally as late as SDC. 
If we get a good cold snap for the last half of October, I could possibly see them changing the plan. We rode Mystic River Falls multiple times last October when it was in the low 50’s. No line! 🤣

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, mwg said:

SDC still has their water rides  listed as through October 30th. It looks like DW usually closed Daredevil Falls in mid-October and River Rampage was listed as through mid-October. So not normally as late as SDC. 

Yes, not as late as SDC normally, but they still closed like a month early.

Hope I'm wrong and SDC doesn't close them early.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TEDodd said:

Yes, not as late as SDC normally, but they still closed like a month early.

Hope I'm wrong and SDC doesn't close them early.

 

It's as if you are backing rides closing like you have proof, in every post. What gives? Are you reading what others are posting? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, PKI Jizzman said:

It's as if you are backing rides closing like you have proof, in every post.

Not proof,  just speculation based on the sister park closing earlier than planned/normal.

I hope I'm wrong, for all wanting to ride them in October.

I guess looking at weather forecasts is the best bet. I'd pay attention to the low temps more than the highs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, PKI Jizzman said:

Planning on visiting the 2nd weekend in October, will they still be running their water rides? 

Stoked to finally get some night rides on their 10pm Saturday night hours!

We're going on the 9th and the 10th.  The water rides will be open.  I would avoid riding them shortly before dusk if possible though, it will likely get cool to chilly pretty quickly once the sun goes down. I appreciate that they run them in cooler weather though because you get low to zero lines.  We usually go early spring and riding American Plunge in March will WAKE YOU UP

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Soooo here's the general timeline for whats going on regarding that construction I posted about. Take this info with a grain of salt but its looking like nothing is sacred in the park anymore. Get your rides in while you can.

2023: FITH replacement opens, walls go up around original FITH with full demo of the structure by summer, then construction of a new and improved larger train depot to utilize the former location. Changes to the Saloon and Fry Bread area are also looking possible during this time.
2024: New train depot opens, with the old depot closed off and demo'd by summer.
2025: Possible Flooded Mine demo with a major 2026 attraction construction project to begin. (exact location and type TBD)
2026: Major 2026 attraction opens.

Here's the controversy when it comes to fans: If all this comes to pass, I will be curious to see the backlash and change in attendance numbers and how many long time fans of the park will be lost with the loss of all the classic attractions. You can definitely expect the former. My parents stopped going a while back because they saw the writing on the wall that the park is evolving away from its original theme and into another basic ride filled amusement park. I like the new additions to the park overall, but this is gonna be a tough pill to swallow if these rumors come true.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use https://themeparkreview.com/forum/topic/116-terms-of-service-please-read/