TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 261: Arvest Bank announces 10 year sponsorship deal

Oh, I know.  That's the plan.  I'm not thrilled about the numbers but I'm definitely not letting it keep me from going.  I've wanted to get to SDC for years, I'm not missing the chance now.  I'm healthy and not in any high risk groups, I'm vaccinated, I'll have a mask...I'll be fine, sure.  It's just...disappointing and frustrating, the whole attitude like you said.  We should be done with this crap by now, but...I don't need to derail the topic any further.

Also, a week from yesterday, not sure why I typed a day.  Flying out for 7 parks in 7 days this weekend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ytterbiumanalyst said:

I live around here and I've taken to masking again since the rise of the Delta variant

Why? Masks have always been to protect others from you. They don't keep you from getting anything.
OK so a CBRN mask with a P3 rated filter will but I doubt that's what you are wearing.

^ they do a great job of helping you from inadvertently touching your face.   So while true, Covid particles may still get thru a standard mask?  it will help keep other things out when you don't have your hands in your nose/mouth area so much due to wearing a mask.

so there really IS a benefit to wearing one.. . . I haven't had a cold or flu in well over a year, since i tend to mask up when going out into public.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rai Fox said:

Oh, I know.  That's the plan.  I'm not thrilled about the numbers but I'm definitely not letting it keep me from going.  I've wanted to get to SDC for years, I'm not missing the chance now.  I'm healthy and not in any high risk groups, I'm vaccinated, I'll have a mask...I'll be fine, sure.  It's just...disappointing and frustrating, the whole attitude like you said.  We should be done with this crap by now, but...I don't need to derail the topic any further.

Also, a week from yesterday, not sure why I typed a day.  Flying out for 7 parks in 7 days this weekend.

Yeah, I totally get it man. Wish you could visit under better circumstances, but SDC is pretty great even if things aren't ideal. Have fun!

44 minutes ago, bert425 said:

^ they do a great job of helping you from inadvertently touching your face.

I found the opposite. I was constantly reaching to rub/scratch an itch where the mask touches my skin.
Not to mention not being able to see as the masks tend to fog my glasses. So then I'm adjusting the mask again to try an prevent that. Works for a bit then it all shifts again and start over.

Have the same issues with CPAP masks. Certain styles I just can't wear effectively.

Only respirators (like used in a paint booth) or CBRN type masks, properly fitted were ever comfortable enough to wear for more than 10-15 minutes without constantly adjusting.

4 hours ago, ytterbiumanalyst said:

^ Just bring a mask and you'll be ok. You'll get stares. For sure you'll get stares. Like hostile glares from multiple people. I live around here and I've taken to masking again since the rise of the Delta variant (just when indoors or when there's too many people around in an outdoor area, you know, like the CDC says). Hoo boy the distrust in the eyes of people, the wariness, like they are concerned I'm going to jump them with a knife or something. It's absolutely unreal. That attitude is the cause of why this variant has taken hold in this area.

So that's what's happening. I want you to be aware of what you're walking into, but with eyes open you'll be ok. Just take care of yourself, act real friendly and be super polite, and they'll leave you alone.

God, this is how I have to talk about my neighbours now. This place has become so hateful in the last decade or so.... Trust me, it hasn't always been like this. People used to be nice here.

Sucks doesn't it. Not living right in your neck of the woods but having been there a number of times through my growing up years I have seen the change. The area was always religious and conservative but we were there right after the 2016 election and people had put up all sorts of billboards rejoicing that HC had lost the election and the vitriol in these completely unnecessary "ads" was unbelievable. That's when I knew things had really taken a vicious turn.

BUT nobody should be deterred from visiting, SDC is a really great park and the employees will go out of their way to be helpful.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Rai Fox said:

When you are there make sure to go through Marvel Cave, it's free and the entrance is in the big gift shop that you walk through at the start of the park. It is the whole reason the park exists and is really a cool cave.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, teacherkim said:

When you are there make sure to go through Marvel Cave, it's free and the entrance is in the big gift shop that you walk through at the start of the park. It is the whole reason the park exists and is really a cool cave.

Definitely going to do that, thanks!

I haven't done it, but it looks really cool. I've just done the cave tour hundreds of times so I don't want to pay the upcharge. 😆 It sells out quickly, so when you first get there go immediately to the cave desk in the Hospitality House (you'll literally walk through it between the turnstiles and the square).

Trailblazer Pass is generally worth it if the weather is good. Current forecast is for thunderstorms on Sunday but clear on Monday. If that holds, then get TB pass. Around here, though, weather can be quite variable, and I've seen storms get pushed back a day as they develop more slowly than the models would predict. So there's a decent chance that it might rain on Monday instead. Don't pre-purchase, wait and see what the weather does and buy day of if it's sunny.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Rai Fox said:

Anyone ever do the upcharge lantern light tour?  https://www.silverdollarcity.com/Tickets/Ticket-Add-Ons/SDC-Lantern-Tour?

That sounds pretty tempting to me...

Also is the Trailblazer pass worth it here?  I have no idea what to expect for crowds there.

I've done the lantern tour and it was worth every penny.  You get into some parts of the cave that the regular tour doesn't go, there's actually remains of a cabin down one of the offshoots.   If you can maneuver it, try to be at the back of the tour group, i found it interesting to occasionally look back into complete darkness (especially if you can lag back just a step or two and shut your lantern off for a moment).

We haven't been in the cave for a long time, it was closed (along with Grandfather's Mansion) most if not all of last year.   And due to our schedule we haven't been back yet this year; watch it have to close again by the time we go in the fall. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2021 at 5:03 AM, ytterbiumanalyst said:

^ Snowflake get triggered by people talking to each other again? 😋

I really wish you guys would put ***TRIGGER WARNING*** before each COVID post, just for me. Joking... Or, maybe I'm not?...😆

Really though, the conversations really do touch a nerve with me. It's why I rarely open FB, anymore. When I open TPR, it's supposed to be my chill time.

***TRIGGER WARNING FOR ZACH***

***THE FOLLOWING CONTENT CONTAINS MATERIAL THAT IS NOT CHILL. READER DISCRETION ADVISED, BUT SPECIFICALLY ZACH IS ADVISED***

Yeah, I get that. It's super relevant specifically here more than anywhere else, since Taney County, where SDC is located, has one of the highest infection rates in the US. Definitely people should understand the situation if they're planning a trip here in the next few weeks.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ytterbiumanalyst said:

...Taney County, where SDC is located...

SDC is in Stone County. Branson is in Taney County.

On 7/27/2021 at 1:16 PM, teacherkim said:

My son and I took the 3:45 tour on Tuesday.  The tram derailed as we went around the curve at the bottom of the hill.  I'm sure the tour after us got the free tour back to the entrance that they warn you about.  Don't know how long it will take to fix.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, WillsMominMO said:

My son and I took the 3:45 tour on Tuesday.  The tram derailed as we went around the curve at the bottom of the hill.  I'm sure the tour after us got the free tour back to the entrance that they warn you about.  Don't know how long it will take to fix.

Oh that's a big whoops. Yikes!

Yikes is right.  I love doing everything you possibly can in a park, but walking back up out of the cave is a hard pass.   I've done the cave carrying my 5 year old son (at the time) on my back and I swear out of the corner of my eye I saw the grim reaper, checking his watch.

I almost had to do the "backwards" tour once. Storms started to roll through while we were down in the cave, but we managed to get to the cable car and up to the exit just before they closed it due to lightning, so the tour group behind me had to be put on reverse. I know I absolutely would never be able to make it up that giant structure in the Cathedral Room; I have a hard enough time as it is getting up the "Huff-and-Puff Staircase".

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/17/2021 at 9:43 PM, ElvisLuv said:

Arvest is based in Northwest Arkansas and was started by a Walton of Walmart fame. It is a huge regional bank around here flush with capital and big time backing. 

This brings me to NWA and Silver Dollar City. Northwest Arkansas is on track to nearly double in size by 2045. That means around 1 million in population.  Nice to have one of the fastest growing  and  increasingly affluent regions in the country in your back yard so to speak. Springfield is also growing but it is not the juggernaut that NWA has become.

Not to Necropost but it was just recently announced on the latest census that Fayetteville is now the 2nd largest city in the state eclipsing the Fort Smith metro with just over 90k people. https://www.nwahomepage.com/news/local-news/new-census-data-shows-fayetteville-as-second-largest-city-in-arkansas/

4 hours ago, sdcfan88 said:

Not to Necropost but it was just recently announced on the latest census that Fayetteville is now the 2nd largest city in the state eclipsing the Fort Smith metro with just over 90k people. https://www.nwahomepage.com/news/local-news/new-census-data-shows-fayetteville-as-second-largest-city-in-arkansas/

NWA consist of the core 4 of Fayetteville, Springdale, Rogers and Bentonville along with Bella Vista and Siloam Springs. Other cities in the two county region like Farmington and Prarie Grove are growing as well. 

You can consider the Jonesboro/Paragould area a core SDC market as well but a lot of their growth is at the cost of the surrounding small, more rural communities.

The truth is that there's nearly two years more growth on these numbers for NWA. It has only excelerated since. 

Screenshot_20210824-015252_Chrome.jpg