TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

I have been there in mid November and it was mostly weather depending. The water rides will be closed of course, but the weekend I was there all the coasters were a go. It will depend on the temps, variable time of year. You probably have equal chances of 50 and sunny or 40 and raining or 30 and snowing; or having one of those at the start of the day and another by the end. Unfortunately there is no way to really predict that time of year. Sorry. The earlier in the month you go the better your chances will be though.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We visited this past weekend for the Harvest Festival.   We had a good but not great time.  Good because the park decorations are beautiful, the weather was great (although a bit hot), and riding at n

Posted Images

CaptainUnknown, all rides, except water rides, will be open during An Old Time Christmas, with the usual break down. During An Old Time Christmas, you will also have different shows/attractions open that you can't do any other time of the year. Almost every ride will close once the temperature drops below a certain degree or if the wind gets above a certain speed. The guidelines are posted here: https://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/Attractions/Rides/Ride-Temperature-Guidelines

It's also a great time to go because even if the park appears busy, generally the crowds are there for the Christmas lights and shows. "People there for the shows" kind of holds up year round for the park but it feels more pronounced to me for Old Time Christmas; we've been numerous times in November and most rides were walk-ons or one cycle. If you do go, make sure to get some wassail!

• 2 weeks later...

Silver Dollar City has been pretty active on their social media pages lately. They are also teasing a possible soft opening for MRF later this week... perhaps in time for the 4th of July holiday?

EDIT: It's been reported by a couple sources on site that the construction walls have indeed been taken down!

106435392_10158554817647603_2708112984901777414_n.thumb.jpg.006744c9b9c53c2d43f53ff39b68f0ca.jpg

105645006_10158548085162603_5772158191013123829_o.thumb.jpg.91b11883d8413ebfd2a667079a58f82b.jpg

75472894_10158558388107603_6471476678785310857_o.thumb.jpg.8067967dd4e670924441107a786dd21a.jpg

106424560_10158567680102603_2559958371033082653_o.thumb.jpg.a9583c7f9dd9a620dca1f964f40ffe48.jpg

Edited by sdcfan88

Great photos from the park! Hope that everything planned, goes "according to",

without too many unexpected surprises happening, along the way.

"Knock~Loading Station~Wood."

Can anyone comment on how the lines and capacity have been lately? Is the park still running one train opps?

Can anyone comment on how the lines and capacity have been lately? Is the park still running one train opps?

As of my visit on 6/28, the park was running one train on every coaster. Outlaw Run and Thunderation were walk-ons. Time Traveler's line spiked after opening (posted at 45 minutes), but it went down to a 2-3 train wait by the mid-afternoon. Wildfire was usually just a 2-3 train wait as well. Powder Keg was the problem. If you didn't go there right after opening, it had a posted 60-90 minute wait all day since the operators there would sanitize the train every cycle if someone pulled down their facemask (and they usually did).

FnKUoa2.gif

Oh man, that lift is incredible.

/moves the park up on the bucket list

Pretty cool. Lets hope it doesn't cause too much downtime.

I love the new ride but sure do miss that long ass cave section, that was cool as hell not gonna lie.

I love the new ride but sure do miss that long ass cave section, that was cool as hell not gonna lie.

Yeah that surprised me too, its too bad they didn't go all out to rebuild the cave structure like the old ride considering it's name and theme is in fact referenced to the cave. Its like the rumor that there was supposed to be a showroom building during the launches on Time Traveler.

EDIT: Didnt see it posted anywhere so here's the official POV released by the park of the ride course. The rest of the landscaping work is fantastic though and I do like the "mine shaft" segment.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

The POV looked pretty dry for how intense some of those rapids looked--especially the drop where some airtime could be had. Granted, only the camera person was riding, but it'll be interesting just how wet you can get with a fully loaded raft.

The POV looked pretty dry for how intense some of those rapids looked--especially the drop where some airtime could be had. Granted, only the camera person was riding, but it'll be interesting just how wet you can get with a fully loaded raft.

I’m betting with a fully loaded raft you’ll get soaked to the bone! The rafts will then be sitting a lot lower in the water, actually causing you to “crash” into the waves, allowing them to splash over the sides instead of just gliding over the top of them.

Looks like a GREAT addition to the park! And that crazy rotating multi-lift thing looks insane!!

Welp, I just went to SDC today, and it was my first time going for the season. I got there shortly after opening. Lowkey, the masks aren't as bad as I thought they'd be. I mean I've been wearing one to work, but I thought it would be worse at SDC. The park was actually pretty empty today with the preferred lot only being about a quarter of the way full. You wouldn't think it was not busy from the lines. The line for Time Traveler was all the way out of the queue building. Granted, they have the switchbacks shut off so that you essentially do two loops around the edge of the building before getting to the loading deck. Though the line wasn't as long as most summer days, it was an hour long wait. They only ran one train all day. Outlaw Run had a wait that was not even to the switchbacks, and it was about a half hour long wait, mainly because it seemed like the train was having trouble. The ride ops would push the lapbars down, then the guy at the operation board would say to recheck car four and car six (those ones seemed to be having the most trouble), and that meant that the trains would be dispatched about every four minutes.

I tried for Mystic River Falls, but apparently it had only taken guests for about thirty minutes before going down. I checked back throughout the day and it hadn't reopened. Looks like it'll be a blast though. Even with empty boats, it would really crash into some of those waves and it would start spinning pretty good!

It is also worth mentioning that you do have to wear a mask on the rides. SDC said on Facebook that masks could be taken off during the ride. I took mine off on Time Traveler and the ops told me that I had to wear it on the ride. I wanted to stow it away just so it didn't by chance fall off. The masks I got were from Etsy and it took me three weeks to get them, plus they are all so cute! I actually saw a mask go flying on Outlaw Run.

I had a good day, it just overall seemed pretty quiet and it seemed like so many people there were just kinda bummed out. Somebody in my group mentioned that it seemed like everybody there was a season pass holder that was just trying to get their money's worth out of the season pass rather than have fun. Lol

If you're worried about losing a mask on a ride, maybe consider getting a neck gaiter with earholes for riding rides. Since it's a gaiter, it'll stay on your neck even if the forces of the ride make it slip off your face.

If you're worried about losing a mask on a ride, maybe consider getting a neck gaiter with earholes for riding rides. Since it's a gaiter, it'll stay on your neck even if the forces of the ride make it slip off your face.

That's a good idea! Looking through photographs of the Orion media day event (I'll be going to Kings Island next week yay!), I saw a few people with those. Good idea! I'll be going to Kings Island and Cedar Point next week so one of those will be handy, especially on some of the faster rides.

I can't really take credit. One of the Orlando vloggers I watch took a few different types of masks along with a gaiter to test which ones work best on coasters. The gaiter on its own slipped down immediately, but after cutting holes in it for his ears, it's become his favorite to use. You can buy them on Amazon with ear-holes already built in.

When I was there a few weeks ago, masks were required to be worn on every ride. On Powder Keg specifically, they would sanitize the train in between cycles if they caught someone pulling down their mask. I too saw one person lose a mask on Outlaw Run, but it looked like they had removed the mask and were holding it in their hand.

I've been wearing surgical masks or KN95 masks with ear loops and they've been very secure on every ride. The worst I've had happen is on those giant frisbees, the mask slides down to my chin. But I never felt like it was in danger from flying off my face.

Somebody in my group mentioned that it seemed like everybody there was a season pass holder that was just trying to get their money's worth out of the season pass rather than have fun.

I noticed that during my one and only trip to a park (SFStl) a couple weeks ago. I honestly just think it's just the atmosphere with the safety measures and the terrible capacity. My wife described it perfectly. We go to parks to forget about the world's problems. However, with all of the sanitizing, the masks, the lowered capacity, and the general tone from staff and guests, it really shoves the COVID issue right in your face.

We're finally getting a chance to escape the kid for three nights next week. We'd booked a stay at a resort in Sedona, AZ, which got canned when they brought back more restrictions. After a while, my wife didn't want to fly anymore, because of the risk to our family. So, we compromised and we're driving four hours to stay at the nicest resort we could find in... Branson... We're going to spend a day at SDC. I have a feeling we'll end up doing what we did at SFStl and just leaving after a couple depressing hours. Joy.

I've been wearing surgical masks or KN95 masks with ear loops and they've been very secure on every ride. The worst I've had happen is on those giant frisbees, the mask slides down to my chin. But I never felt like it was in danger from flying off my face.

This was our experience as well. No threat of loss on any ride, just minor shifting.

With the benefit of hindsight I kind of wish SDC leaned into the whole mask thing more. They're pretty much uniquely situated to capitalize on it thematically. Have it be a 'train robber invasion' event, something along those lines. If you made a game of it, might get more willful compliance, etc.

Yeah, for sure. Let's all continue to cheerlead government requirements to the point that when they're eventually not needed we'll still be required to wear them at the slightest hint of a new virus.

Anyway... Does anyone have any idea on how much of a miserable suppressed shit show I'll be moping into on Thursday?