TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 261: Arvest Bank announces 10 year sponsorship deal

Thanks! That is evil, and I totally approve. That was a first for me, seeing someone parked in a place that isn't a spot. That marker on your map is super far away, but there actually are a couple more lots even farther south on Indian Point Road. If you're looking on Google Maps, find Deer Run Motel. There's a road that comes off of Indian Point right across from there and runs parallel to it for a long way. That's SDC overflow parking all along there. Put that jackass at the end of that road/parking lot. Guaranteed they will never find their car.

That's why I will likely never be a manager of any type.

The first time someone did something totally stupid like that, I would be inclined to react in that manner in order to teach them a lesson. I was raised that if you broke the rules or did something stupid, that there were consequences to be had. Not sure when a big chunk of American society dropped common sense from their morals, but it seems to have exploded in the last ten or so years.

Now everyone makes mistakes (including myself and I have no problem admitting when I do) and I get that, but when there are signs everywhere telling you TRAM STOP - NO PARKING, then the person gets what they deserve - a basic lesson on how to not be stupid.

On another note, I have to say that despite the skillet dinners always looking phenomenal in Photo TR's from here and Dollywood, does anyone else think that Tater Skillet in the trip report looks kind of nasty? Perhaps it was just the lighting?

What was your take on that tater skillet Shave The Whales?

Preach!

As for the tater skillet, I thought it looked like a platter of carb deliciousness.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually they have been taking some steps to address that issue with TNT. They are also redoing several other support areas around TNT where the construction of Time Traveler was done.  

"Move" may not be the best way to word it. "Build a new version of it" is a better way to describe it.  Think of what Mystic River Falls is to Lost River. More than likely, it would be a completely di

I also think new enthusiasts confuse intense with rough 

Posted Images

GAHHHHHH I just wrote a long, detailed post about our trip this weekend, but then my computer decided to restart while I made lunch.

Short version: We went Sunday. Lined up at the rope at 9:15 (opened at 9:30). Time Traveler was not running at 9:30 due to it being too cold. We grabbed breakfast then queued up for TT at about 9:55. "Fun pic" station is a choke point in the queue - we got through it and the bottom level of TT was about 80% empty- makes you wonder how it will affect crowd control once TT is running at full capacity.

The first TT train of the day rolled at 10:15. We climbed on the ride at 11:15. At its best, they were releasing a train every 90 seconds. The worst time between trains that I timed was 4 and a half minutes. In the queue, we enjoyed what theming there was (less theming means less to turn off and let rot - here's looking at you, WildFire) and especially enjoyed the game of identifying the songs on the PA and why they were included on the playlist (we're still confused by "Free Bird").

The ride itself was awesome. My wife and I giggled the whole time, and it was the most flat-out FUN that we've had on a ride in a long time. It's just 60 seconds long, but with no lift hills or other time wasters, it's a very tight 60 seconds and felt worth the wait.

Now the bad: A lot of things felt the weight of daily operation. Our photo card, for example, pulled up a completely different bunch of guests and our photo was nowhere to be found. Above, I mentioned the disparity between launch times. We had some students behind us in line, perhaps 30-60 minutes behind. Their car came into the station sideways and had to pull into the loading platform to be straightened. The entire ride closed shortly after that.

Around 3:30 we came back to the area to ride Thunderation and the ride was still closed. While we rode Thunderation, we watched them cycle one of the trains, but the other stayed parked at the first launch until well after we were off Thunderation. As a side note, it feels strange to have a coaster right next to Thunderation. The jury is still out in my head if Thunderation is made better or worse by its new neighbor. As you would expect, about a hundred people or so remained lined up OUTSIDE OF THE QUEUE for Time Traveler, hoping that it would reopen. It did not.

Notes for the rest of the park: It was an average attendance day, in my opinion. We didn't get over to Powderkeg, but we waited about 45 minutes for WildFire, maybe 20 minutes for Fire In The Hole, 10 minutes for Thunderation (TT was closed, and that cleared out this area of the park), and shockingly, Outlaw Run was a walk-on in the early afternoon. I think signage might have had something to do with this. If you didn't have a map in your hand, a first-time or occasional guest would have no idea you'd have to go through an archway labeled "Giant Barn Swing" in order to get to Outlaw Run. Or that an archway labeled "American Plunge" is a regular walkway and NOT actually the queue for American Plunge... or WildFire, for that matter.

The map was frustrating as well. There were several times when we got turned around and the map couldn't help us- it only labels major things and all others are assigned using coordinates like "D-4," which is really confusing on a small scale map. The cartoon style map didn't always relate to real-world pathways and buildings.

All in, though, I still adore Silver Dollar City. I need to get out to some more parks, but I haven't seen anything outside of the Disney/Universal level of park that "buys in" to the theming as much as SDC. With their newest investments into the park, it's certainly a top-tier park in my eyes.

And Time Traveler? For the moment, it dethrones Outlaw Run as my new #1 coaster (although admittedly my coaster count is a pretty modest 48).

On another note, I have to say that despite the skillet dinners always looking phenomenal in Photo TR's from here and Dollywood, does anyone else think that Tater Skillet in the trip report looks kind of nasty? Perhaps it was just the lighting?

It was alright. It's basically mashed sweet and regular potatoes with a bit of onions and spices and some sausage on top. The consistency can vary throughout the day.

I think the other skillets are probably better, but I wanted to try this again since it is "new".

The family and I went to Silver Dollar City for the first time over the weekend and we came away very impressed. We went Friday and Saturday. Friday the park was not busy at all, due to a chance of rain. We had either walk-ons or very little wait for just about everything except Time Traveler. Saturday was very busy (as we expected) but we were still able to do everything we wanted to do. Some thoughts from the trip;

Overall - We thought the condition of the park and the theming were terrific. The park was really clean and well cared for. Being early spring we feel we didn't get the full effect without all of the vegetation and trees in bloom but we still thought it was great. Can't wait to return in late spring or summer to check it out, hopefully next year.

Food - We all agreed the food was excellent. The skillets were unique and worth the $. The cinnamon bread....OMG...everything I have heard is true! My wife and I polished off the whole loaf...well the kids had a little, but had to fight us for it!

Service - Most everyone we came into contact was really friendly, engaging and helpful. A huge difference from most other parks we have been to.

Rides - Great selection overall. Truly something for everyone. Some highlights;

Outlaw Run - Wow! What a great, fun intense coaster. The drop was crazy! Really outstanding air time as well. The zero G rolls were a perfect way to end a fabulous coaster. Moved into my Top 5 overall. 10/10

Wildfire - Really fun, solid ride, as expected. Really smooth for a almost 20 year old ride. No head banging at all, which is always a huge plus. Great location and views added to the experience. Can't go wrong with a B&M, at least I haven't yet. 8/10

Powder Keg - Good ride. Liked the launch and was fun overall. One thing I didn't care for were the seats. They were not comfortable to me at all. 7/10

Thunderation - Really good mine train. Probably the best I have been on. Nice layout and really good speed, especially for a MT. The ride was also pretty smooth, except there were a couple spots on the second helix right before the lift hill that were pretty rough. 7/10

Fire in the Hole. Really fun little ride. The unexpected drops got the kids attention 6/10

Barn Swing - Good ride. Pretty cool going through the barn. Not as intense, or fast as Riddler here at SFOT, but not much is. Still really good 7/10

Time Traveler - This ride exceeded my expectations, by a lot. I had been worried about the "spinning" since it was announced. As mentioned, it rotates more than spins and that rotating turns a coaster with some fairly basic elements into one of the most fun coasters I have ever been on. Not the best coaster, but definitely one of the most fun. The family loved it also! It was my son's first coaster with an inversion and he came off the ride with a huge grin! I really like that it will be a different ride and experience each time. 9/10

We arrived before rope drop and made our way to TT both mornings. Friday we waited an hour and 20 minutes, but that was apparently due to some media event. Once they opened the ride it took abut 25 minutes to get on. Saturday it was about a 20 minute wait. The rest of the time the app was showing anywhere from 90-150 minute wait time, or the ride was down, which it was during late Saturday afternoon.

Marvel Cave - So glad we did this. What a fantastic experience...and in a theme park, no less.

We also rode Flooded Mine which was fun, but the kids prefer Justice League. Actually I do too, but it was a unique, cool ride.

The train was awesome! The kids enjoyed the "robbery" and I enjoyed getting some looks/pics of Outlaw Run.

The Fireman's Landing area was really well done. The kids really enjoyed the play area, and I didn't hate it either.

I can't say enough good things about SDC. Top to bottom just a first class park. We are already thinking about heading back up sometime, but it is a 7.5 hour drive for us. Not sure when we will be back but was have some unforgettable memories to hold us over until we do!

Glad you had a great time! Sounds like you got to do everything you wanted, and you hit the two most important things: cave and cinnamon bread. Agreed on Justice League as well; that's a fantastic ride, and the one I think Six Flags actually does better than SDC.

Really happy to hear positive impressions on Time Traveler. From the sounds of things, because it’s a controlled rotation it doesn’t feel so much like a typical spinning coaster? My concern would be over spinning and getting a little nauseous, but with that addressed, the thought of taking an inversion sideways sounds really awesome to me. I really appreciate that the park and Mack have taken some risks with a new iteration on the rotating train concept, and it sounds like this is maybe the best version yet. For people that have ridden, is there any apparent consistency in how an element is typically taken in terms of the car's orientation, or is there enough rotation to vary each ride completely?

The cars definitely do not spin. They rotate slowly. If they spun like I was originally thinking they would, when it was announced, I wouldn't have made it without getting off sick.

The ride is different every time. We had the good fortune to get the front seat on both of our rides and they were entirely different. On the first launch, we launched sideways first ride. The second ride we launched just about straight backward. The inversions were totally different as well.

One of my favorite things about this coaster is it will be new and different every time.

It was alright. It's basically mashed sweet and regular potatoes with a bit of onions and spices and some sausage on top. The consistency can vary throughout the day.

I think the other skillets are probably better, but I wanted to try this again since it is "new".

Thanks for the review!

After checking out all of the dining options at the park on their website, I can see that I am going to have a hard time whittling my choices down! Other than the cinnamon bread (must try), I thought that the fry bread sandwiches, sausage medley skillet, pretzel brat on a stick, grilled chicken and cheese grilled cheese and maybe even the pork rinds all look quite appealing.

^ LOL...no way I could eat all of that, Bill...even if Michael and I share. We do have two day tickets, but you're right in that could be tough in even two days.

That's why I need the expert opinion from SDC vets on here to tell me what they think is best.

^ My life works in 3's, so... so be it. The pretzel brat for me, too!

Three things to definitely have, if ever I find myself at SDC!

P.s. A beverage there, "not to be missed"...? Like Butter Beer? Or a Dole Whip Float?

frozen jalapeño limeade

Can you imagine how awesome that would take with a splash of gin? So many missed opportunities.

I'm imagining it now.

It's really too bad Jesus said you can't have gin ever or you're going to hell.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Awesome reports and Time Traveler POV video. Time Traveler looks awesome and very reridable as each ride will different with being in different positions for the drop, launches and loops. I can only imagine what going those sideways is like. This looks even better than Winjas which is currently my favorite spinning coaster I've been on. I didn't need another excuse to get out to Silver Dollar City but now I have another one.

Awesome reports and Time Traveler POV video. Time Traveler looks awesome and very reridable as each ride will different with being in different positions for the drop, launches and loops. I can only imagine what going those sideways is like. This looks even better than Winjas which is currently my favorite spinning coaster I've been on. I didn't need another excuse to get out to Silver Dollar City but now I have another one.

No doubt that its reridable....but the 3 hour wait without a trailblazers pass is killing it's multiple rides in a day appeal....lol

So with three hour waits for Time Traveler is it safe to assume Outlaw Run will be a walk-on???

Don't get me wrong, I expect TT will be an excellent ride that I'll want to ride again, but if I can marathon Outlaw Run all day this week I'll be in heaven.

I haven't been on Outlaw Run yet, but I have hopes that it'll be the first ride since 2014 that'll be able to contest with my current #1, El Toro. El Toro is just so far above the rest that I haven't yet been able to find any ride that can even compete with it, which leaves me a bit disappointed. I've been spoiled since riding it.

NTaG is my only RMC so far, and it's a very good ride, but still not quite El Toro intense. I have hopes Outlaw Run will be different. Thoughts?