TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 261: Arvest Bank announces 10 year sponsorship deal

I would be extremely supportive of an on property resort for SDC. The cabins and campgrounds are cool and all, but the distance from the park and the community bathrooms completely turn me off. I just think the idea of a highly themed on site resort would be a win win situation.

Pretty sure Shavethewhales is talking about Wild Bear Falls, which is a Great Wolf type place, not a full outdoor waterpark.

http://www.ky3.com/content/news/New-water-park-planned-for-Branson--433932163.html

BTW, the news articles I'm linking to are from Springfield's NBC affiliate, so these are legit.

They spent a lot on the new Christmas stuff though - that was basically the new attraction for this year.

It is great to see the park really taking off again though. They have been bursting at the seams and actually losing customers because of how busy they've been during Christmas and how overcrowded it has been. The new coaster next year will really set things over the edge. They need more parking, a bigger entrance, wider walkways, etc...

I have a feeling a Dollywood-esque period of investments and expansions is near. Maybe not $300 million worth over a decade, but I expect a resort announcement any year now. I don't know if we discussed it already here or not, but a huge new water park resort has been proposed just down the road from SDC. They are losing out on opportunities here if they don't spend some money to increase SDC's capacity and get started on more resort amenities.

An on site resort with indoor water area and a vastly improved Whitewater or new water park adjacent to SDC would get them over 3 million in short order. I firmly believe that SDC should never play second fiddle to Dollywood but be an equal. The more NWA and Springfield grows, the base will continue to expand. FolKS in Northwest Arkansas basically considers it the local park and everyone goes.

Let's see if the rumored non SDC affiliated 100,00 Sq ft indoor water park resort actually gets built. Branson has lacked the Kalahari, Great Wolf, Wilderness in the Smokies scale of that type of resort.

Screw the indoor water park part. I'd rather the resort be more like DW's Resort. From what I can tell, it appears to have an adult feel, but plenty to entertain children.

But either way it would be a win.

This was the one I was thinking of: http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_free/article_0c806d5a-e4f1-11e7-967f-6fc1bd93f9ff.html

Actually there have been several new indoor water parks, but most of them have been glorified indoor pools. This resort is actually pretty sizable with $422 million worth of development. I don't think the new water park will be huge, but it sounds like it will be big enough to be called a real water park.

So now that the off season is here, apparently everything including the two food stands and the large eating area between the ThuNderaTion entrance and Echo hollow is being leveled. This was kinda surprising as when they were actually open the last time I was up there one of the employees said that the pathways were originally gonna pass thru there but they decided to keep and re-purpose the building and thus placed the pathway behind it instead. But now apparently not. I am assuming maybe they found it was structurally unsound?

26173567_10155993871117232_7749184972289891207_o.jpg?oh=d8aa0a85b65d2ec9d2e273ddcc56a391&oe=5AF9D37E

August 2017

26169806_1579982515417490_2804534441433655507_n.jpg?oh=8bce09489887cf89c2baf8ff1cd975be&oe=5AB7B59F

26169969_1579982622084146_2350859877320899338_n.jpg?oh=e093ee6fc275a677df8244007c9f25d3&oe=5AB5066C

January 2018 Demo

Original Post: https://www.facebook.com/CarrExcavating/posts/1579982795417462

Edited by sdcfan88

Damn. We didn't even have time to hear enthusiasts bitch about this in anticipation. There wasn't even an opportunity for people to moan and start talking about a petition to save the 'historic' structures.

You know the more you say things like that, the more you energize the left.

I would never reveal my true political stance here, as do I rarely anywhere, but I know how much you just love that saying! That, and I was actually hoping someone else would somehow be offended...

No! Not Poke Salad Mary's! That was the best place to get a poke salad EVAR!!!!

Seriously, it was okay, but there are at least a dozen places to eat that are better than that one. That area was kind of a retaurant alley, with a couple of skillet places and some snack and beverage stands. I wouldn't be surprised if they're building a new high volume restaurant in the style of Crossroads Pizza but still serving the skillets.

I've made no secret that I think Trump is an idiot, and I don't consider that a political opinion. I thought he was an idiot when he was on the Apprentice, and I thought he was an idiot when I had to deal with his minions carrying out his policies in the course of my job (I work in the travel industry and occasionally have dealings with his hotels). My assessment of Trump's mental capabilities and overall competence to do anything did not begin with his most recent job.

I've made no secret that I think Trump is an idiot, and I don't consider that a political opinion. I thought he was an idiot when he was on the Apprentice, and I thought he was an idiot when I had to deal with his minions carrying out his policies in the course of my job (I work in the travel industry and occasionally have dealings with his hotels). My assessment of Trump's mental capabilities and overall competence to do anything did not begin with his most recent job.

This is seriously exactly how I feel. It has nothing to do with politics, or begin when he took office. . . I too have always felt he was an idiot, and I've made that no secret either.

Anywhore, back to SDC!!

I can't believe they demolished that building! Though I have no doubt what they do to the area will be a substantial improvement!! SDC knows what they are doing, and I can't wait to see the final product.

That being said to blend the two topics here, the clientele at SDC is way to #MAGA for us to feel comfortable returning. After having a mother (wearing here MAGA shirt) go off on us for the whole "if a man lie with a man the way he lie with a woman" thing right in the middle of a main path (and we werent even "acting super gay") no PDA from us, and just wearing normal jeans and nice shirts. Yeah, that was the end of SDC for us.

I still love the park. Think it's beautiful, and they do some world class theming through the park!!! It's really close to us, and has a nice mix of rides. . . But it's just not a comfortable place for us to be any more.

-----------------------------------

Wow -- sorry for the rant. I didn't realize how long it ended up being.

I can't believe they demolished that building! Though I have no doubt what they do to the area will be a substantial improvement!! SDC knows what they are doing, and I can't wait to see the final product.

Totally. That area will be remarkably different next year, and SDC has a great track record that when they change something, it's always improved.

But it's just not a comfortable place for us to be any more.

That really sucks, and I'm sorry that happened to you. I'm not surprised, because I live here and I know what the people are like, but I hate that it did all the same. You shouldn't feel like you can't do something you enjoy because people are hateful. In a way, you're giving in to them, because not encountering any gay people is pretty much the goal of people like her. On the other hand, it's hard to enjoy something when people are hateful to you. I get it. It just sucks.

^ Is KCI really that bad? I saw a lot of people complaining about the Orlando airport lately, but I find that to be one of the better airports I've been to. For me, the airport experience basically comes down to the security line.

I'll be flying to KCI Memorial Day weekend to finally visit Silver Dollar City, so I guess I'll be able to judge for myself.

KCI is small and convenient, but that's all I can say. Employees were horrible (unfriendly, trying to scam people, slow, uncaring, etc.) and there's NOTHING in the airport itself other than a scary snack bar and random crappy kiosks.

KCI is small and convenient, but that's all I can say. Employees were horrible (unfriendly, trying to scam people, slow, uncaring, etc.) and there's NOTHING in the airport itself other than a scary snack bar and random crappy kiosks.
Sounds like any small airport. Small being less than 5 gates.