TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Looks great! I'm not normally a fan of spinning coasters, but I thought Sierra Sidewinder was fun. With controlled spinning, this should be manageable. My son will absolutely love it, so even if I think it's awful, I'm going to be riding this a bunch next year.

...With controlled spinning, this should be manageable...

That is what I am hoping for! But in the animation the thing is spinning like a top, so I don't know what to think at this point! Guess we will just have to wait and see!!

WOW! I haven't followed this project as closely as others but I was NOT expecting it to be a spinning coaster! This looks like it could have some awesome and weird forces on it! I've never been to SDC, but I'm definitely going to make it a priority next year!

Agreed, this thing looks amazing and I think there's finally enough now to get me all the way out there to SDC.

Looks great! I'm not normally a fan of spinning coasters, but I thought Sierra Sidewinder was fun. With controlled spinning, this should be manageable. My son will absolutely love it, so even if I think it's awful, I'm going to be riding this a bunch next year.

That's a surprisingly intense coaster as well — even when it's not spinning that much. Definitely interested in seeing how this one shapes up as some of the moves it makes will feel very odd depending on what angle the car is at when it takes them. A brave move by SDC it seems.

I never thought I'd see a $26 million spinning coaster, but it seems like the money is being put to good use. Not only does this ride look insane, but incredibly unique. I love Mack spinners, and I always hoped more parks would install them. Congrats SDC on putting this together!

Wow! This honestly looks great! I'm loving the idea and theme of this ride.

Now.. about theming.. is the station going to be that.. plain? I'd honestly thought it would look like a crazy scientists laboratory with a bunch of gears and springs on the outside of it, but from the video... hopefully it's just a placeholder?

Wow, a 90º drop and three inversions on a spinner??! With the drop right out of station??! This looks crazy! I normally don't get excited about spinners, but this one looks awesome! I already had enough reasons to want to visit Silver Doller City, but this just adds another big reason to want to go.

This is a pretty nuts announcement for any park, let alone SDC. With these elements, you could get some truly bizarre forces depending on which way you're facing.

I'm anxious to see what's /really/ going to happen when the train stops before the first launch!

I wonder if there will be an ability to disable the magnet controls, say, for an enthusiast event?

As a writer/editor I just wanted to point out some humor I found in the wording of the video.

"10 story 90º vertical drop straight down!"

90º drop = vertical = straight down.

"Gravity-driven drop!"

As opposed to a drop that isn't gravity-driven??

Okay, enough of me being an a$$. I still like the video.

Also, when I showed the video to my boyfriend, he was concerned with how much the cars spin in the rendering. I told him it's just the rendering and they shouldn't spin nearly like that in reality.

My next visit to the Branson area is tentatively scheduled for mid-March 2019. Please, SDC be open by then so I can ride your (semi) new hotness!

Spring Break season is open but the weather could be 70s or 30 with snow.

I'm sure it's great, but I care about roller coaster story lines as much as I care about children's books and Disney movies. It's probably a side effect from being a jaded cynical 32 year old without kids.

I'm glad Mack has controlled the spinning. That gives those of us who don't care for spinning something to look forward to. I hope it's more of a slow rotation movement than a spin.

I'm just pumped that half of the train is going to go down that 90 degree drop BACKWARDS

Looks like a great ride, just was expecting a more Helix-type ride. The $26 million price tag seems a bit steep but I assume a lot of that was for the ground clearing and ride station.

There's also that launch building not featured in the animations. Can't wait to see what surprises will occur in there.

Looks like it turned out to be exactly what all speculation indicated it would be...

Oh how quickly we seem to forget...

A B&M terrain Invert for this park would surely be a winner.

I think a highly themed smaller dive machine like Baron would worked well too.

If you put merit to rumors that sounds like exactly what the park is doing... yes, both (2017 / 2020)

Oh and whomever said that they'd like an inverted at the park may be getting their wish soon as that's the big rumor going around backstage regarding the 2017 coaster. Over in Grand Expo it sounds like

A very BIG wing coaster

... The 2017 coaster has already been bought and paid for. Apparently contracts were drawn back in January. Everything is still pointing at a B&M. Wasn't able to get anymore info than that.

Just to name a few...

I'm glad Mack has controlled the spinning. That gives those of us who don't care for spinning something to look forward to. I hope it's more of a slow rotation movement than a spin.

I agree. Now that we know it's spinning I'm curious to know more about this onboard magnetic system. If it's not too much then rotating thru those inversions could be quite fab. I personally wouldn't have chosen the spinning but it will certainly be a unique coaster and that's always good. It'll probly be hard to judge until one actually rides it.

One interesting effect of the spinning will be that rerides could feel completely different.