TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 261: Arvest Bank announces 10 year sponsorship deal

I like the unpredictability of American Plunge. I agree most rides you just get a splash or so but every once in a while BAM. The first time I rode it was in mid April, 50 degrees. Talk about a way to stay cool in the park

68555_10200524879035717_1345806650_n.thumb.jpg.3fa7a6bf0efb0bfa12913ac34f51cc27.jpg

Kids in winter coats but they wouldn't be dissuaded

I like the unpredictability of American Plunge. I agree most rides you just get a splash or so but every once in a while BAM. The first time I rode it was in mid April, 50 degrees. Talk about a way to stay cool in the park

Lol. Luckily it was about ninety-two degrees in the park so neither of us were complaining. It was just super surprising! I loved it. Do you by any chance know who manufactured their flume? The way the lift looks make it look like it was built in-house but it opened in the early 80's so it is very possible that it could be an Arrow flume.

^ The original Jim Owens' Float Trip was designed and built in house, but Arrow was contracted to build the American Plunge sections in 1982. Finally, another contractor, and I'm not sure who, was brought in to build the tunnel in the 2001 renovation accompanying Wildfire. So what we have now is a beautiful hybrid.

^Unfortunately, this is also my guess.

Now watch, you guys bash this project for possibly being a spinning coaster, but when it opens, it will be called the best thing since sliced bread. I don't think SDC nor Mack rides could make a dud project.

I visited the park this week and there were a few things I'd like to mention.

- Outlaw Run must've had its seat belts drastically shortened. For me, the seat belts were a good 5" too short to latch. I'd understand not fitting if I gained weight, but I haven't. I still easily got a green light on the lap bar and I fit in all the other rides the same I have been for years. Saw many people get denied from riding. Talked to one person on the train who may have been 5'8", 185 lbs who said he couldn't fit because of the seat belts, so it's not just me experiencing it. It also seemed to slow down dispatches a lot because I never saw the ride running when we were in the area. They'd be trying to squeeze people in the seat belts for a good 2-3 minutes. That had to be the most restrictive ride I've seen, quite worse than even Lightning Run at KK. Really disappointed me, but didn't ruin my trip.

When was the last time you went before this? I have went 4 times this year and have noticed the seat belts on Outlaw Run seem to have been shortened. I can still fit, but the seat belt is quite snug. I am 6'1 and weigh about 240.

The last visit I had to the park when I fit in Outlaw Run was October 2016. A friend of mine said the seatbelts were first shortened around Christmas. I visited in March of this year and had an extremely tight fit in the seatbelts. Ride operator told me that "the new seatbelts hadn't stretched out yet". It seems that the seatbelts hadn't stretched from my last visit, but seemed to be shortened yet again. I'm 5'11 and about 240 as well, and the seatbelt was about 5" too short to connect. I easily cleared the lap bar though.

^ The original Jim Owens' Float Trip was designed and built in house, but Arrow was contracted to build the American Plunge sections in 1982. Finally, another contractor, and I'm not sure who, was brought in to build the tunnel in the 2001 renovation accompanying Wildfire. So what we have now is a beautiful hybrid.

Thanks for the info!

I haven't heard about a 2001 tunnel renovation. I thought it had a re-purposed Jim Owens tunnel until 2005-ish when they replaced it with the current boring empty concrete tunnel due to structural issues. It's a shame they didn't use more of the old Jim Owen's flume. I think it's kind of funny how much of it is still just out there in the woods with in-tact theming and all. Without the old tunnel, it's a much more "blah" ride than any ride at SDC should be.

I haven't heard about a 2001 tunnel renovation. I thought it had a re-purposed Jim Owens tunnel until 2005-ish when they replaced it with the current boring empty concrete tunnel due to structural issues. It's a shame they didn't use more of the old Jim Owen's flume. I think it's kind of funny how much of it is still just out there in the woods with in-tact theming and all. Without the old tunnel, it's a much more "blah" ride than any ride at SDC should be.

There used to be more themeing on the American Plunge? I was born in the summer of 2001 and the way it is now is how I've always remembered it. I've perfectly okey with the amount of themeing on it, which it is basically that one scene with the dog pulling the guy out of the water. I mean my favorite log flume (Frightful Falls at Holiday World) doesn't have any themeing.

After SDC we park hopped to White Water. I forgot how much I hate it there. Neither of us had a great time at White Water. I've gone to a decent amount of water parks now, and I have to say, White Water is probably the worst. It isn't that the park is dirty or the employees are unfriendly, well actually they are but every water park I've been to has had unfriendly employees. But it is just so lackluster and expensive. The park is small, but it is the only water park in the area so it still gets tons of guests so even the smallest slide still has a twenty minute wait. We waited thirty minutes for the family raft slide, went to the wave pool, which was packed, then to the lazy river, which was packed, then we rode just some tube slide that had a thirty minute wait. We looked at the lines for the other slides and didn't think any of them were worth it. Every year I've gotten a season pass for SDC and White Water. Every year I've visit White Water at least once to make the pass worth it. I think I'm just going to drop White Water next year, it isn't worth the extra forty dollars. I'll always get the SDC season pass though, I go probably at least five times a year and of course when you buy things in the park you get a discount, it turns prices that are high into prices that are fair!

WW is an AMAZING PARK! It is the biggest in the area, biggest I (and most locals) have ever bern to, and the best I have ever been to. It is SOOOOOO much better than SDC. The admission price is cheap and worth it for everything there is. There is no water park in this area that has slides/attractions like they have. There is no "family raft slide". Do you mean Ohana Falls? It holds 2-4 people. It cant hold a whole family.

I may be misremembering then. I thought the new blah tunnel was built at the same time as Wildfire. The old Jim Owens tunnel was awesome. That ride was so much better before Wildfire.

After SDC we park hopped to White Water. I forgot how much I hate it there. Neither of us had a great time at White Water. I've gone to a decent amount of water parks now, and I have to say, White Water is probably the worst. It isn't that the park is dirty or the employees are unfriendly, well actually they are but every water park I've been to has had unfriendly employees. But it is just so lackluster and expensive. The park is small, but it is the only water park in the area so it still gets tons of guests so even the smallest slide still has a twenty minute wait. We waited thirty minutes for the family raft slide, went to the wave pool, which was packed, then to the lazy river, which was packed, then we rode just some tube slide that had a thirty minute wait. We looked at the lines for the other slides and didn't think any of them were worth it. Every year I've gotten a season pass for SDC and White Water. Every year I've visit White Water at least once to make the pass worth it. I think I'm just going to drop White Water next year, it isn't worth the extra forty dollars. I'll always get the SDC season pass though, I go probably at least five times a year and of course when you buy things in the park you get a discount, it turns prices that are high into prices that are fair!

WW is an AMAZING PARK! It is the biggest in the area, biggest I (and most locals) have ever bern to, and the best I have ever been to. It is SOOOOOO much better than SDC. The admission price is cheap and worth it for everything there is. There is no water park in this area that has slides/attractions like they have. There is no "family raft slide". Do you mean Ohana Falls? It holds 2-4 people. It cant hold a whole family.

Yeah, I mean Ohana Falls. Each raft can hold five people, that's pretty much a family. It is the biggest in the area, but that isn't saying much considering it is the ONLY water park in Southwest, Missouri. It is only thirteen acres so it is on the smaller side for water parks. I can criticize you for liking it better than SDC considering I liked Celebration City better than SDC back when it was still open. It is definitely my least favorite water park though. There is nothing there that just stands out. Here's how I rank the water parks I've been to: 10. White Water 9. Big Surf (Lake of the Ozarks) 8. Oceans of Fun (Worlds of Fun) 7. Hurricane Harbor (Six Flags St. Louis) 6. Hurricane Harbor (Six Flags Over Texas) 5. Soak City (Kings Island) 4. Splashin Safari (Holiday World) 3. Adventure Bay (Adventureland) 2. Hurricane Bay (Kentucky Kingdom) 1. Crystal Falls (Magic Springs) I would probably like White Water more if it actually had something semi-unique. Maybe a master blaster or a good slide complex. My favorite slide complex is that one at Crystal Falls, it has two bowl slides, two regular slides, and then three super fun speed slides up top.

I may be misremembering then. I thought the new blah tunnel was built at the same time as Wildfire. The old Jim Owens tunnel was awesome. That ride was so much better before Wildfire.

I definitely remember the old scenes being there with Wildfire at the same time, but they started working on Powderkeg in 2004 and the tunnel would have been redone then. IIRC, they used the land above the tunnel for staging some stuff and accidentally damaged the tunnel in the process because it wasn't designed for heavy equipment to be driving around on the surface... or at least that was the rumor at the time. Some stuff like that simply gets old and has to be replaced, and when they do so they often do it cheaply. It's been 13 years now...

I was at the park today (I'll be there tomorrow as well and expect a trip report tomorrow), and I don't know if this has been pointed out, but a piece of black track (looked like Mack track) is visible from Thunderation. The station looks nice, and it looks as if the coaster will launch (?) away from thunderation. It also looks like it will be visible entering and leaving the park.

I remember the old theming, too, and definitely wish SDC would add something to the tunnel. That part of the ride used to have some excitement to it and now it seems awkwardly silent with an annoying fake out water effect at the end (I think that was added at some point, too). As a kid, I remember being caught off guard and a little creeped out by the one or two "scenes." If I remember correctly, it wasn't too far off from what SDC has on The Flooded Mine, but on a smaller scale - but then again I could be confusing the two rides.

I haven't actually ridden American Plunge in a while, mainly because by the time I've wanted to ride it, the line is long and Wildfire's line is empty.

The fake out water effect was always there. You just used to approach it from a different angle. That section from the fake out to the beginning of the lift is the only part of the original ride still left, although there used to be a drowning man animatronic in the middle of the whirlpool. They also still use the original Jim Owens station as an overflow queue.

Did there used to be a water ride where powder keg now sits? I thought I saw what looked like an old waterway next to the turn into powderkegs station.

EDIT: ^ ya beat me to it. Here's the info anyway for those who doesn't want to click the link.

Indeed there was. There used to be a premier water coaster called Buzzsaw Falls in the spot where powder keg is today. It only lasted from 1999 to 2003 and I believe it closed due to maintenance issues. A lot of Buzzsaw Falls was reused for Powder Keg from the crashed car on the roof all the way down to the lift hill on Powder Keg (and the big curve before that)

Here's a model:

IMG_2266.JPG.73e0840a4bc34a392104783c4eeadb84.JPG

OMG! I totally wish I could have ridden Buzzsaw Falls! Unfortunately I was only two when the Buzzsaw Falls closed in 2003 . I have a super old souvenir cup from SDC and on one side there is Buzzsaw Falls, the other side is Geyser Gulch, and on the other side is Thunderation. My mother said that Buzzsaw Falls was a blast when it was still open. Powder Keg is fun and all, but I really wish I could have experienced it. And I wish Premier built more of those water coasters.

Note: This was written on my phone.

For the past two days, I was at the park for the first time. It was a very nice park overall. I didn't dislike any major coaster or flat/water ride. I rode all the coasters, the American Plunge, the lost river, the flooded mine, and the barn swing.

Quick ride reviews:

Flat/water rides:

Lost River: Decent rapids ride, didn't get very wet

Flooded Mine: Nice shooting dark ride in boats (somebody call Cedar Point)

Barn Swing: S&S Screaming Swing with a short ride cycle. Fun, but short.

American Plunge: Just some theming and a really dark tunnel, I don't see...(drop happens)...well this is a really good...(KERSKLOOSH)...HOLY CRAP WHY AM I SOAKED I THOUGHT THAT WAS A LOG FLUME

Roller Coasters:

Kiddie Coaster: Remember when I said I didn't dislike any MAJOR coaster? Actually, it was just eh.

Thunderation: Good, fun, mine train. Great for views of Project 2018. One of my favorite mine trains.

Fire in the hole: Good "coaster"/darkride I sat in the front and wait why is the seat...

(KERSKLOOSH)...HOLY CRAP WHY AM I WET I JUST GOT DRIED OFF FROM THE LOG FLUME I DIDN'T KNOW THIS WAS A WATER RIDE

Powder Keg: Fun launched coaster with good airtime that is relatively smooth.

Wildfire: Fun B&M sitdown coaster that is very smooth if you sit in the middle of the train.

Outlaw Run: Great RMC. Fun. Fun. Fun. Front is smoother but back gets great airtime. Rerideable. Did I mention it was GREAT.

Outlaw Run must've had its seat belts drastically shortened. For me, the seat belts were a good 5" too short to latch. I'd understand not fitting if I gained weight, but I haven't. I still easily got a green light on the lap bar and I fit in all the other rides the same I have been for years. Saw many people get denied from riding. Talked to one person on the train who may have been 5'8", 185 lbs who said he couldn't fit because of the seat belts, so it's not just me experiencing it.

I have no idea what you are talking about. We just rode tonight and even our bigger riders had no problem fitting into the ride. I'd say our bigger riders are between 260 - 310lbs and yes the belts were tight, but you could easily get them latched if you're not an idiot and know how to put on a seat belt.

There is *NO WAY IN HELL* someone weighing 185lbs didn't make it on the ride. I'm sorry, I don't believe that for a hot second.

I didn't find the restraints or belts any more/less restrictive than opening day.

On the plus side, the ride ops were more than happy to push on the restraint if needed which is already leaps and bounds a better guest experience than what we witnessed on Lightning Rod.

IMG_7702.thumb.JPG.b3eeca146654ba95865f77514062ba97.JPG

IMG_7697.thumb.JPG.4f9c4de006eebb8b1f62215525997e00.JPG

Did there used to be a water ride where powder keg now sits? I thought I saw what looked like an old waterway next to the turn into powderkegs station.

EDIT: ^ ya beat me to it. Here's the info anyway for those who doesn't want to click the link.

Indeed there was. There used to be a premier water coaster called Buzzsaw Falls in the spot where powder keg is today. It only lasted from 1999 to 2003 and I believe it closed due to maintenance issues. A lot of Buzzsaw Falls was reused for Powder Keg from the crashed car on the roof all the way down to the lift hill on Powder Keg (and the big curve before that)

Here's a model:

Interesting...thank you.

By the way, I have my photo trip report of silver dollar city up now. Check it out here...

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75041&start=80

Outlaw Run must've had its seat belts drastically shortened. For me, the seat belts were a good 5" too short to latch. I'd understand not fitting if I gained weight, but I haven't. I still easily got a green light on the lap bar and I fit in all the other rides the same I have been for years. Saw many people get denied from riding. Talked to one person on the train who may have been 5'8", 185 lbs who said he couldn't fit because of the seat belts, so it's not just me experiencing it.

I have no idea what you are talking about. We just rode tonight and even our bigger riders had no problem fitting into the ride. I'd say our bigger riders are between 260 - 310lbs and yes the belts were tight, but you could easily get them latched if you're not an idiot and know how to put on a seat belt.

There is *NO WAY IN HELL* someone weighing 185lbs didn't make it on the ride. I'm sorry, I don't believe that for a hot second.

I didn't find the restraints or belts any more/less restrictive than opening day.

On the plus side, the ride ops were more than happy to push on the restraint if needed which is already leaps and bounds a better guest experience than what we witnessed on Lightning Rod.

I was pretty baffled myself. I went for Moonlight Madness this past weekend, and had no problem fitting into the seats. I’m not a huge guy, but for some reason I was born with absolute thunder thighs, so I’ve always had trouble with RMC lab bars comfort wise. When I first saw his post, I feared I might not fit. But I was perfectly fine with a good 3-4 inches to spare. Rode about 15 times over the weekend (so I saw probably 45-60 dispatches) and only saw 2 people get turned away (BIG people too). So I’m guessing either they fixed the issue, or Jayke was being dishonest (though I don’t see any reason to do so.)

To be fair though, a friend of mine went down around the same time as Jayke and said he couldn’t fit anymore either, so it’s a possibility that they fixed their mistake quickly.