TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 261: Arvest Bank announces 10 year sponsorship deal

So something neat I learned today is that any Cinnamon bread that is not sold an hour before closing is marked down 75 percent. This means I got mine for a whole $1.88. LOL

18274998_10155268577957232_5911467135269571032_n.jpg?oh=a538ae1e9dcffafd027d9668d1ce2f7e&oe=59BCED98

So something neat I learned today is that any Cinnamon bread that is not sold an hour before closing is marked down 75 percent. This means I got mine for a whole $1.88. LOL

Why would you tell me this!?!?! Now I'm going to develop diabetes!!!

That Crazy Corn on the Cob looks very unique and interesting.

But having BBQ without beer...there is just something morally wrong about that.

It's like having pizza or wings without beer, for God's sake - it, it just shouldn't be!

It's like having pizza or wings without beer, for God's sake - it, it just shouldn't be!

The first half (roughly) of my life was spent eating BBQ and pizza w/o beer. No need to change it. Certainly not morally wrong.

(Probably more than half for a lot here...)

I'm with you on that. Having grown up around here, I've come to terms that SDC will never serve alcohol. I'm honestly impressed that Branson has a winery and a distillery. Plus Springfield just opened its third brewery. For an area that actually still has dry towns, this is progress.

Hey, quick question:

2 months ago I noticed that Wildfire felt more like a floorless coaster than a sitdown. Just now, I noticed that Wildfire's car design is different than the other Sitdown cars. Wildfire's car looks more like a mix of a Floorless and a Hyper car. How come it's like that on Wildfire only and not the other Sitdown models?

0.thumb.png.7d7bff434241aca4f4b34b67c6a1bd9a.png

(Excuse my bad photoshop skills) The rest of the sitdown cars looks the same (credit to the people who took the photos)

SDC-7-30-2006-Wildfire-6.jpg.54b73d009c42d7bb12e54de3631ceff4.jpg

And Wildfire's looks more like a combination of a Hyper and a Floorless (credit to the person who took this)

Wildfire was designed as a floorless, but HFE asked B&M to add floors to reduce maintenance costs. The breakaway floors have a lot of moving parts, which means a lot of things can break. Wildfire's floors have no moving parts. Engineers and maintenance staff love that.

Wildfire was designed as a floorless, but HFE asked B&M to add floors to reduce maintenance costs. The breakaway floors have a lot of moving parts, which means a lot of things can break. Wildfire's floors have no moving parts. Engineers and maintenance staff love that.

Ah, that makes sense. At least that makes Wildfire a little unique. That also explains why HFE didn't simply buy a sit down car, since the coaster is a floorless design

Are the trains part of the reason WIldfire has a 52" height requirement? It's the only B&M sitdown that doesn't have a 54" requirement, at least to my knowledge...

I doubt it. HFE just like to have lower height restrictions, like Wild Eagle's 50". Height restrictions are a combination of manufacturer's recommendations and insurance. Likely HFE worked out a deal with their insurance that allows more guests to ride.

Bluegrass & BBQ (but no moonshine)

Rub it in.

Great pictures and nice TR! You're making me have regrets about choosing to go to Great America, last weekend.

Amen.

I'm with you on that. Having grown up around here, I've come to terms that SDC will never serve alcohol. I'm honestly impressed that Branson has a winery and a distillery. Plus Springfield just opened its third brewery. For an area that actually still has dry towns, this is progress.

I agree that it IS definitely progress!

While I have no problem with the wholesome family approach of SDC and Dollywood, sooner or later someone is going to get into management that is going to realize the high profit margin that comes with serving alcohol in a theme park.

Now before the teetotalers all come with their axes swinging saying how it would kill the charm of the park and bring in the wrong type of crowds, I'll say up front that I know that alcohol can bring out the bad in a lot of people.

But pricing it to the point where some redneck alcoholic that downs an 18 pack of Busch Light every day is going to say, "Dang, I ain't payin' no $8 for a Bud Light, yo!", you've already eliminated a high percentage of those who are going to get drunk and ruin the family vibe. And chances are that if they are a falling down type of drunk, they're likely to just leave the park and go get drunk at their car in the parking lot or go to a bar and come back anyway.

Alcohol sales at parks has never been a problem at any other park that I have visited. Obviously if more and more parks are doing beer & wine with food festivals, they know what type of good revenue is coming in with it. They likely wouldn't do it otherwise.

While I have no problem with the wholesome family approach of SDC and Dollywood, sooner or later someone is going to get into management that is going to realize the high profit margin that comes with serving alcohol in a theme park.

Now before the teetotalers all come with their axes swinging saying how it would kill the charm of the park and bring in the wrong type of crowds, I'll say up front that I know that alcohol can bring out the bad in a lot of people.

But pricing it to the point where some redneck alcoholic that downs an 18 pack of Busch Light every day is going to say, "Dang, I ain't payin' no $8 for a Bud Light, yo!", you've already eliminated a high percentage of those who are going to get drunk and ruin the family vibe. And chances are that if they are a falling down type of drunk, they're likely to just leave the park and go get drunk at their car in the parking lot or go to a bar and come back anyway.

Alcohol sales at parks has never been a problem at any other park that I have visited. Obviously if more and more parks are doing beer & wine with food festivals, they know what type of good revenue is coming in with it. They likely wouldn't do it otherwise.

If SDC would ever do it, and I do not anticipate that happening as long as the current generation of the Herschend family are still in charge, I think a food festival would be how they would introduce it. Beer and moonshine during Bluegrass & BBQ, cider during Harvest Festival, proper wassail and eggnog during Christmas. It could be done very classy. SDC for all its kitsch has always been a classy place. We're dreaming here, of course, but it's nice to dream.

If SDC would ever do it, and I do not anticipate that happening as long as the current generation of the Herschend family are still in charge, I think a food festival would be how they would introduce it. Beer and moonshine during Bluegrass & BBQ, cider during Harvest Festival, proper wassail and eggnog during Christmas. It could be done very classy. SDC for all its kitsch has always been a classy place. We're dreaming here, of course, but it's nice to dream.

There would also likely be beer jail.

Beers were $14 at Six Flags last weekend. With that kind of price, I saw plenty of people drinking, but no one got out of hand. Emily and I paid $90 for three beers each throughout the day, but it was well worth it. I'd rather pay a premium and have the option. I'd also rather pay a premium and not be surrounded by obnoxious drunks chugging $2 beers.

SDC and beer simply don't mix. It's not because beer is not awesome - I love a good beer break at most parks myself. SDC is what it is because it was built out of a certain value and belief system. I don't want to go into the weeds discussing it, but after all the history and vision of the park it would be a shame if it got so corporate that they threw it all away for a few concession sales. I don't think it will happen anytime in the foreseeable future though, even if all the Herschends clear out. 95% of the park's current patrons are familiar and sympathetic with the evangelical leanings of the park.

Also, I don't know what Kentucky's Bluegrass festivals are like, but SDC's Bluegrass festival is pretty religious in nature. A lot of the songs you hear are going to involve Jesus. That would be kind of weird to drink moonshine to.

Also, I don't know what Kentucky's Bluegrass festivals are like, but SDC's Bluegrass festival is pretty religious in nature. A lot of the songs you hear are going to involve Jesus. That would be kind of weird to drink moonshine to.

No sir. You have it all wrong. I was raised Roman Catholic, so beer and Jesus go together like peas and carrots.

I hear you, though. It will probably never happen. Unfortunately, we've become to accustom to enjoying a few beers in the back half of our park days that it makes SDC so much less appealing to me.

No sir. You have it all wrong. I was raised Roman Catholic, so beer and Jesus go together like peas and carrots.

I haven't been to Silver Dollar City (I hope to someday) but I'm guessing the day that Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom parks start serving alcohol parkwide is the day that SDC (and its sister park Dollywood) consider selling alcohol during special events - meaning that Disneyland and Magic Kingdom will probably start serving alcohol first.

But pricing it to the point where some redneck alcoholic that downs an 18 pack of Busch Light every day is going to say, "Dang, I ain't payin' no $8 for a Bud Light, yo!", you've already eliminated a high percentage of those who are going to get drunk

You would think the steep beer price would deter people from getting crazy drunk but it doesn't. Whether its a $12 Bud Light at a stadium, or a $10 Coors Light at a concert, or an $8 Firestone Walker 805 at my local county fair, I noticed price doesn't stop people from spending and drinking one after another. The theme park vibe is a bit different then a concert or sporting event vibe, so I don't see people going crazy on $11 tall cans of Modelo at USH, but they are buying them. And a redneck alcoholic is going get alcohol anyway he can, whether its an 18 pack of beer for $9.99 at the grocery store or a tall plastic cup of beer for $12 at a theme park/stadium/venue because that's what's available for him.

Look I like beer as much as the next guy, but as someone who frequents a park that serves beer, I could use some updates on your new coaster. I mean, currently you have one of the most mysterious 2018 attractions, and I've been told there is track hidden somewhere on the property. So, can I sees it plwweze.

I haven't seen any track yet. If it is on property, there are a ton of places they could hide it out of public view. SDC is a park with space like Kings Island. I'm planning to get some construction photos each time I go this year, since so much is happening. I'll be there this weekend, so if the track is in public view, I'll post it.