TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

It's true that nobody comes to the park specifically for the trees. However, a lack of trees can significantly hinder a park's atmosphere. For instance, the back side of Dollywood pales in comparison to the front in terms of park appearance because of the shortage of trees.

I'm not knocking SDC on their construction site as I can imagine the cost of construction being much higher if they wanted to save a few trees, but if the setting does not return to its wooded feeling, it can potentially harm the atmosphere of this area, especially for Thunderation.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually they have been taking some steps to address that issue with TNT. They are also redoing several other support areas around TNT where the construction of Time Traveler was done.  

I also think new enthusiasts confuse intense with rough 

"Move" may not be the best way to word it. "Build a new version of it" is a better way to describe it.  Think of what Mystic River Falls is to Lost River. More than likely, it would be a completely di

Posted Images

It's true that nobody comes to the park specifically for the trees. However, a lack of trees can significantly hinder a park's atmosphere. For instance, the back side of Dollywood pales in comparison to the front in terms of park appearance because of the shortage of trees.

I'm not knocking SDC on their construction site as I can imagine the cost of construction being much higher if they wanted to save a few trees, but if the setting does not return to its wooded feeling, it can potentially harm the atmosphere of this area, especially for Thunderation.

Yep, that about sums up what I was trying to say.

Either way, I am still excited for the new addition to the park!!! I can't wait for the announcement!!

Well, they plant a few new trees anyway... it's a far cry from the old way of doing things where the park stayed in the woods. Even Outlaw Run's area is mostly open concrete. Not sure why it's being used as a good example. Grand Expo had some trees grow in too, but it still doesn't feel the same either. At least that was a parking lot originally.

I mean, it's still better than other parks, but the whole "city in the trees" concept is dead and being phased out with each project. It's just not economically worth saving when you are building for many times the guests that the original park was intended for. I don't like it either, but I try to counter my enthusiasm with reality, otherwise I'd get depressed about a lot of the changes that have been made recently. Only more of it coming, but a lot of good stuff will make up for it.

Lots of little (and some large) changes throughout the park this year, or so I've been told. Tree house is gone, new entrance for TNT, and changes around the entrance area, among other things. The employees have been working hardcore the last couple of weeks to get everything ready. Park opens in 6 days!

Hmm, so judging by that news article, SDC has also filed for the name "Top Dog", which to me sounds like it would be the "rodeo" theme:

Silver Dollar City's newest, secret attraction might be called "Time Traveler." Or "Top Dog." Or something completely different.

So it looks like they are indeed messing with us enthuisiasts.

Personally, I still think they're ultimately going to go with the silver mine theme. It would fit in the best IMO (especially with the revelation that the track will cross over Thunderation), it's already been pretty heavily alluded to that SDC would really like to make its own version of Mystery Mine, and judging by the responses for it on this and other fan sites I would be pretty surprised if one of the other two themes really did win out in the survey.

As for the rumored spinning, if it were me, I would opt for the turntable platform loading option shown in the Mack Xtreme Spinning Coaster promo video, and have there be a non-spinning side of the station - both to increase capacity and so the many people who are skeptical about putting spinning cars on a Blue Fire-esque layout can still ride it. It would be easy enough to work it into the theme with something like a "Choose your ride vehicle" split in the queue.

I really hope they don't go with top dog or anything like it. I feel that the current name rumors have came straight from some 6 year old's Nolimits coaster videos on YouTube. In other words, I just feel the names are just a little basic. I just hope it's something better than what's been rumored so far.

^Weren't there a couple of names filed for Outlaw Run before they decided on Outlaw Run as well? And it'll be awhile before I forget that Carowinds filed the trademark name "Centurion" long before Fury 325 before it was officially revealed.

In any case, I agree 100%...which is why I'm hoping that this is what's happening with these "names" for this new coaster.

"Time Traveler", "Wild Mountain", and "Mountain Wings" are the only unused coaster names that HFEC has registered right now, that I know of. Top Dog is a different trademark that is going to be used in the FL area I think.

I think Time Traveler is the name. Could surprise us at the last minute, but we are only a few months away from the grand reveal. They do like to change their minds regardless though, so who knows.

I hope the roller coaster is great, the themeing is great, and it provides an overall perfect experience, but I hope it has a God awful name.. That way it will bother the sh*t out of people who care way too much about irrelevant things like the coaster's name.

Crossing my fingers for "Top Dog," "Spinning Roller Coaster," or even "Raging Boner Mobile."

I hope the roller coaster is great, the themeing is great, and it provides an overall perfect experience, but I hope it has a God awful name.. That way it will bother the sh*t out of people who care way too much about irrelevant things like the coaster's name.

Crossing my fingers for "Top Dog," "Spinning Roller Coaster," or even "Raging Boner Mobile."

My vote is for "Raging Boner Mobile" so people will have to say they can't wait to ride a Raging Boner at SDC

What's great about this park, which is in the minority, is that they don't need to add another coaster for me to warrant a trip back.

Any new attractions are just a bonus tbh

What's great about this park, which is in the minority, is that they don't need to add another coaster for me to warrant a trip back.

Any new attractions are just a bonus tbh

Couldn't have said it any better! There is just so much extra you can do here than at most other parks. Even when I visit for a rather long time, I still can't fit everything in! There is just so much good food, shows, and tiny, but awesome attractions like Grandfathers Mansion. They've thought of everything when developing this park. I know there are some people who don't like the direction the park is going because they've removed some classic theming and attractions around the park, but even the worst of SDC is better than 90% of the park's in this country.

Here's a quick rundown of what I've learned via various social media about various things from opening day today:

1) The wall behind the giant SDC logo at the park entrance is gone. You can see a photo of it here:

(I'm still fairly new here, so forgive me if links like this aren't allowed; EDIT: realized that first one is from a private acct, so took it off)

2) The biggest news so far is Brad Thomas's tweet:

- which gives the URL SilverDollarCity.com/WildMountain which re-directs to http://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/what-is-it

It should be noted that Wild Mountain is one of two titles trademarked by Herschend in February for the purposes of a roller coaster (the other being "Mountain Wings", filed two days after "Wild Mountain"). You can see the Wild Mountain filing here: http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=doc&state=4804:dik119.2.3

Thanks/credit to straightshooter on SDCFans for the heads up about Brad's tweet!

Not sure how i feel about the wall being gone behind the logo. It looks nice, but at the same time a little empty. I couldn't tell in the photo, but is the area around the logo any different? I wonder if its to prevent crowd congestion through that old archway.

That wild mountain thing is quite interesting. It would be quite odd if they used the ride name in the teaser. Maybe its just to hint at an overall theme? I dont know about you, but that sign on that fence makes me want to look over the fence

From what's being reported over on SDCFans, the little track + mine cart that was there for theming on the other side of that wall is also gone.

As for the names, right now we have three possible titles that are trademarked by Herschend for a roller coaster: Time Traveler, Wild Mountain, and Mountain Wings.

Is this ride supposed to be bigger than Cobra's Curse?

I hope so especially with a year of hype.

It should be pretty clear that information about this coaster is very limited right now

What would compel you to compare this coaster to Cobra's Curse when we don't know much yet?

Edited by larrygator

I'd be so happy if this ride turned out to be something completely different than the thing people are expecting just because that's the popular rumor. Remember, coaster rumors are mostly assumptions, and when you assume you make an ass out of you and me... but mostly you in this case.

What we know so far:

• It's one of a kind
  • It's big
  • The name Wild Mountain seems to have something to do with it

The Mack launched spinner rumor is mostly a popular hunch based on the fact that there aren't many other big, one-of-a-kind possibilities that seem obvious at the moment. It very well could be a spot-on rumor, but I wouldn't get my heart set on anything yet. In any case, I expect it to be a highly customized version of whatever it is.

^One can dream

Is this ride supposed to be bigger than Cobra's Curse?

I hope so especially with a year of hype.

No one knows for sure, but it's being hinted as their biggest addition ever.

Not sure how i feel about the wall being gone behind the logo. It looks nice, but at the same time a little empty. I couldn't tell in the photo, but is the area around the logo any different? I wonder if its to prevent crowd congestion through that old archway.

^When a park makes a minor decision to take something as insignificant as a wall down. This is how the coaster community responds, because we all know what's best for the park more than the engineers, designers, management, corporate finance, etc.