TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

^^No. But that would be great. It's time for a wooden coaster war!

Son of Beast just stopped the wooden coaster war all together. I doubt there will be another hyperwoodie ever built, it's just getting "too tall for a woodie".

Considering that El Toro is more than 180 feet tall, I don't see why you find it implausible that some park will build the world's first/only (assuming SOB stays SBNO or gets removed) wooden roller coaster over 200 feet. Intamin and now Rocky Mountain could easily make a quality, smooth, airtime-laden hyper-woodie.

Son of Beast just stopped the wooden coaster war all together. I doubt there will be another hyperwoodie ever built, it's just getting "too tall for a woodie".

Three of the four Intamin pre-fabs aren't too far off- 196 ft. for Colossos, roughly 180 ft. for El Toro and T-Express (although the actual drops are a bit less). Tacking on a few feet to this brand of wood coasters shouldn't complicate things too much. Maybe when Cedar Point gets around to adding their next Intamin ride.

I bet Gravity Group group with it's Timberliners could build a Hyper-Woodie that STILL feels like a Woodie (Take THAT Intamin Prefabs). GG

Yeah, and that tears itself apart within the first few months I'm sure... that big of a wooden roller coaster needs technology that's gonna let it age without causing its riders to suffer. Even with the Timberliners, a normal wooden roller coaster reaching those speeds and forces is going to get rough fast.

I bet Gravity Group group with it's Timberliners could build a Hyper-Woodie that STILL feels like a Woodie (Take THAT Intamin Prefabs). GG

Yeah, and that tears itself apart within the first few months I'm sure... that big of a wooden roller coaster needs technology that's gonna let it age without causing its riders to suffer. Even with the Timberliners, a normal wooden roller coaster reaching those speeds and forces is going to get rough fast.

Though It's unlikely, what if a park got the Topper Track for that GG Hyper woodie? Ideas.....

Then why wouldn't Rocky Mountain just design their own roller coaster? What sense would it make for them to donate their Topper Track to a brand-new ride from a completely different company when they're entering the original design field themselves? I'm still sticking with them or Intamin, and I don't think it'll take too long to see it happen. Just another record for a park to break and advertise...

^ I Mean like 4-5 Years later, after the park is tired of replacing its wood... But the tearing it self apart wouldn't be as bad because of the new wheel/chassis design with the side wheels steering through the turns...

That reminds me... for a few days on AirCoaster (a NoLimits knockoff for iOS that, quite frankly, I should not be spending as much time on as I currently do), some puerile morons were trying to build a "giga-woodie." I think that that would be completely infeasible.

Disclaimer: I do not own AirCoaster. I am not trying to sell copies of AirCoaster. Whether you decide to spend money on iOS apps is your decision and is therefore none of my business. AirCoaster is copyrighted by Ziconic. I am not Ziconic. I am not affiliated with Ziconic. I am not trying to sell any products or services. I am simply pointing out that 11-year-old kids with iOS devices tend to not understand what is realistic to build and having a little fun at their expense. I am not endorsing the concept of a "giga-woodie" either, as it is unlikely that such a thing could be structurally sound. Void where prohibited. Do not fold, spindle, or mutilate the animals. No cash value. All rights reserved. Common side effects may include drowsiness, headaches, and nausea. No purchase necessary. Your mileage may vary. Contents measured by weight, not volume. Some settling may occur. Batteries not included. Some assembly required. Not suitable for children under 3. Why are you still reading this? Seriously, go play outside. Thank you.

I'd keep an eye on this year's IAAPA Asian expo. The rumours have said ocean kingdoms new woodie will be the tallest in the world and they are planning on announcing their wing rider there next week. So its not impossible we may see something on the woodie next week too..

New construction photos: http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=1853.msg41954#msg41954

Looks like other parts of the course are now going up rather than continuing straight to the drop like I thought they would. Lots of bents ready to go up on the curve next to what used to be hobo junction.

I'll probably be at the park next weekend. I'll grab a ton of photos and get a clearer idea of what the rest of the course is looking like.

I'll probably be at the park next weekend. I'll grab a ton of photos and get a clearer idea of what the rest of the course is looking like.

Pro Tip: Take the train twice, once sitting on each side, or try getting your own row

I was at the park yesterday and the drop is absolutely beautiful. One side of the track is about halfway down the structure and it is steep beyond belief. I can assure you that it will be an 81 degree drop. There is also what appears to be a curved concrete tunnel back in the woods.

I was at the park yesterday and the drop is absolutely beautiful. One side of the track is about halfway down the structure and it is steep beyond belief. I can assure you that it will be an 81 degree drop. There is also what appears to be a curved concrete tunnel back in the woods.

This is awesome news to wake up to.

Fantastic. So both the rumors of the 81 degree drop and the tunnels are turning out to be true. This is definitely going to be a top-10 coaster, wood or steel.

I'll try to have my photos up on Sunday, or Monday if I'm late getting back. I'm about to make the 4-hour drive over there now.

^ what they said. I think this may be the most anticipated coasters for next season. I love NTAG, so it'll be interesting to see what Rocky Mountain does with their first original design from the ground up - and any coaster with an underground tunnel get's points in my book. Other than The Voyage, I can't recall off the top of my head the last woodie with an underground tunnel... And Horray, I only live 3 hours away.