TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 261: Arvest Bank announces 10 year sponsorship deal

I really like this location for a new coaster. That whole area needs a refresh. Other than the food stalls, there's not a whole lot over there, and it's really awkward to get in and around Thunderation. A new coaster means a refresh of that plaza, which will likely be shared. Remember that Thunderation was SDC's first big roller coaster, and the kinds of crowds they had in 1993 are nowhere near the level they have now. That area is sorely over capacity and can really stand a redesign.

But see, this was never a "plaza" like some amusement park, it's a peaceful dining area covered in trees. I hope they don't Cedar Fair this ride entrance with a big plaza and instead keep it in the woods as much as possible. I'm afraid it will feel like any other amusement park where the coasters are all that matters. There's actually a lot in this area with all the food, shops, and scenery, but to coaster enthusiasts it's just an alleyway to the next ride.

They usually do a really nice blend of scenery, theming, and practical park design though, so I'm absolutely giving them the benefit of the doubt, but this is a tough location to throw a big coaster and not completely change the feel of this side of the park for the worse (IMO).

Looking for some help please.. Will be visiting SDC for the first time this summer and can't wait. Is the parks website the best place to buy tickets and do they do the same deal that Dollywood does where you can enter the day before after 3pm for free with your ticket.

Also, is the park likely to be pretty manic on a Thursday in August? (4th) I have been to Dollywood the last couple years at this time of year and it has been quiet so I am hoping for the same here.

Thanks!

Here's a sketch of where I could see the track markings. Can't see much more due to all the trees.

Apparently they have just added more markers for the column support locations. Isn't that weird? I can't recall seeing a coaster so clearly marked with track centerline and column markings before, complete with arrows on the ground showing the direction.

735345692_markigns2.jpg.1cf350683f1fc0d74f29a0ed9c2a2f44.jpg

Ehh, I'm not convinced that they are ride center-line markings. That just would be odd. I double-checked the APWA color codes (which are suggested but not required by any legistlation) and they are indeed considered "temporary markings". ANYTHING is possible by that definition.

My guess is they are representing additional drainage. See how the area you've circled is above hill from the yellow line? Water has to flow downhill and this is very important when constructing a new area or grading. You must consider soil erosion, flooding, pollution, et cetera.

I'm a little partial becuase I am convinced the ride won't be built over TNT when there is a long strip of land parallel to Indian Road. I just can't image the previous but I totally can the latter.

^ They are trolling us. They aren't even building a new coaster. It's going to be a second cinnamon bread place. The arrows are for the direction people will travel to get to and from the cinnamon bread.

I'm a little partial becuase I am convinced the ride won't be built over TNT when there is a long strip of land parallel to Indian Road. . .

Agreed. I can't see SDC building a coaster over another coaster. They work so hard to keep everything separate. . . I really can't seem them building another coaster over Thunderation. . . It just isn't SDC's style.

Ehh, I'm not convinced that they are ride center-line markings.

I mean, they literally say CL (centerline) COASTER, and the new markers say CL COLUMN. These markers are all over the place, so it would be a huge troll if they just wrote that to be funny.

I wouldn't see it as odd for them to build over that section of TNT. They've already got Wildfire, Powderkeg, and OR smack next to each other on the other side of the park. I'll miss the swoop through the woods, but it's not exactly the main feature of TNT.

I mean, they literally say CL (centerline) COASTER,

Alright, so I had a brain fart and couldn't remember projects Ride Centerline had worked on, so I did a quick Google search. Their website is...not exactly up to snuff. Lots of dead links and empty space. I gotta say, though, the Staff page made me giggle -

http://www.ridecenterline.com/Staff.html

I had the best day ever at SDC today. My son and I both had doctor's appointments this morning, so I took the day off work. Once the appointments were done, we headed to Branson for some fun. Forecast was for scattered thunderstorms at SDC, but there wasn't a drop of rain all afternoon. Instead, we were treated to light crowds, short lines, and plenty of BBQ!

We arrived at 1 and headed straight for Powder Keg. Running 2 trains and on in 15 minutes! After sweating through that line in the very humid heat, we needed some cooling off. The Lost River and American Plunge both were sporting lines around 30 minutes, so we opted for River Blast. Ten minutes later, we were being shot with water guns. That ride is a capacity monster. It's very popular, but you'll never wait long for it, ever. Also helps that they have a separate line for 1-2 riders (the only "single rider line" in the park), so you can often skip the already very short main line for groups of 3-8 and get on almost immediately.

Newly refreshed, it was time for more coasters. We went to the Grand Expo to get the all-important height check wristband (my son is 47 1/2"--ah, ever closer to that magical 4 feet, but not quite there yet). We rode Grand Expo coaster (15 minute wait) and Wave Carousel (walk-on!), then left that area.

Next up was Thunderation and a check at Roller Coaster 9. New markers for the columns are evident from Thunderation's queue (photo follows the report). Running one train, 2-train wait the first time, 1-train wait the second, both rides in middle rows.

All this happened in 2 hours. Yep. Awesome day. About this time we headed back to the square for the rib buffet at Reunion Hall. It was awesome! Next to Christmas, Bluegrass & BBQ is my favourite event of the year.

After eating all the ribs we could eat, it was time for more rides. We went to American Plunge (20 minute wait) and were successfully plunged. And we're Americans! Mind. Blown.

On to Fire in the Hole for a back row ride (10 minute wait) and then Lost River (walk-on!). We finished up with the Flooded Mine twice in a row, then a back row ride on Thunderation, leaving about 5:30 with a very happy kid.

20160526_143152.thumb.jpg.6e7c9f4ea9656fa0c4ffc6d60b471a65.jpg

We were at the park yesterday too! First time. The theming absolutely blew us away. So much detail and character. The BBQ and Bluegrass was a great touch too.

This place was probably the most quintessentially American place we've ever seen. When we ate BBQ up in the big hall my wife leaned over and said "So THIS is where all the Trump supporters are. We found them."

Outlaw Run is really really great. That twisting hill after the first outside overbank is seriously wild, one of the most intense spots on any coaster. It's a tiny bit short for my taste, and the double barrel roll was surprisingly weak (everybody always said this but I just couldn't imagine it... and now I understand). The noise the coaster makes on the sideways airtime hill is the most amazing thing. Also, the last row was really rough and the second to last row was wonderful (but I was expecting this). I don't think it's better than Medusa Steel, and I'm not sure I can put it above El Toro, Boulder Dash, Voyage, or T-Express. But it really was great.

Wildfire was a real treat too. It's one of the most beautiful, photogenic coasters I've ever seen, and that air in the back on the first drop is really great. I really enjoy B&Ms in general, but what really helps make a good B&M great and set it apart in my opinion, are the little turns and transitions in between the bigger inversions. Wildfire starts to do that just a little bit, providing great twists and pops - nice little touches to help make the ride a little more special. And it was sooooo smooth.

Powder Keg was nice but it's not really my style.

Overall, this place is truly special. It will be nice if they do get a new coaster next year. One more big ride would help round out the collection nicely.

"So THIS is where all the Trump supporters are. We found them."

I'm sure there are quite a few on these boards as well. It's best not to offend anyone.

I'm glad you had fun at SDC. Did you do the cave tour? It's pretty neat and it offers nice break from the coasters. I feel like the park is missing out on some delicious craft beer sales to compliment the BBQ. The lack of responsibly sold alcohol at SDC and DW is a literal buzz kill for me.

^ I'm noticing a distinct lack of Outlaw Run in that visit. For shame, sir. For shame.
Yeah, 47 1/2" kid. When he gets that last half inch, he will absolutely be initiated.

Carbs.

I'm sure there are quite a few on these boards as well. It's best not to offend anyone.

I'm glad you had fun at SDC. Did you do the cave tour? It's pretty neat and it offers nice break from the coasters. I feel like the park is missing out on some delicious craft beer sales to compliment the BBQ. The lack of responsibly sold alcohol at SDC and DW is a literal buzz kill for me.

I wasn't aware SDC didn't sell alcohol. Its been quite a while since I've been though.

I wasn't aware SDC didn't sell alcohol. Its been quite a while since I've been though.

Pssst. Two words. BIBLE. BELT.

Random question - planning on a visit on Memorial Day and wanted to make sure to do the cave tour in the afternoon to give us a break from the heat. With all the rain the region has had over the past week, do cave tours ever get cancelled? Also, should we show up well before the tour time to actually get on one, or are they not too popular even on busy days?

Edit - anyone see the season long Trailblazer pass? $150 for unlimited skip the line until the end of the season. When you add that to a $95 season pass that's got to be one of the best deals in the theme park industry.