TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 261: Arvest Bank announces 10 year sponsorship deal

Great trip report and pics.

Just saw this on the internet recently. Lambert's the restaurant that throws rolls near Branson is being sued by a man for getting injured by a roll. So make sure to pay attention to the flying rolls when you go to Lambert's after a trip to Silver Dollar City.

fox2now.com/2015/08/13/man-sues-throwed-rolls-restaurant-after-he-was-hit-injured-by-roll/

Customer sues ‘Throwed Rolls’ restaurant after being hit, injured by roll

OZARK, Mo. — A well-known Missouri restaurant, known for being the “Home of Throwed Rolls,” may be in some hot water over a guest who allegedly received a roll-related injury.

Lambert’s Cafe, which features dinner rolls being thrown across the room by servers to guests, is being sued.

The suit was filed on Tuesday by Troy Tucker. The customer claims to have “sustained a lacerated cornea with a vitreous detachment and all head, neck, eyes and vision were severely damaged” after being hit by a dinner roll during a visit in September of 2014.

Tucker is seeking $25,000 to cover medical bills and legal fees. The restaurant’s “carelessness and negligence” as the lawsuit alleges has already caused expenses totaling $10,000.

The lawsuit claims that the restaurant should have known about the dangers involved in their signature practice.

Johnny Fugitt, of the River Front Times, points out that Tucker may not have much of a case considering that back in June, Slugger and the Kansas City Royals were deemed to have not been at fault after a thrown hot dog hit a man in the face and tore his retina.

Fugitt said in that case, the “baseball rule” was referenced, and that by voluntarily entering a baseball stadium the victim assumed some responsibility for personal awareness. She points out that “Home of Throwed Rolls” is posted all over, which could mean Lambert’s diners assume they are putting themselves at risk of being hit by a flying roll, upon entering the establishment.

Lambert’s general manager, Jerry Johnson, told KFVS servers never intend to hurt anyone when they throw rolls.

^ Yeah, the hour wait every weekend says not too many of us are fearing for our lives. I don't think this will hurt its popularity in the slightest. Being across the street from a 40-acre church virtually guarantees mega profit every Sunday. Considering basically everything in the Springfield metro area is a chain restaurant, it's good to have something unique.

I wish more Lamberts Cafe's would open up. I think one in central MO (Columbia area) would be awesome! Not only would it be in my neck of the woods (call me selfish, I'll accept it lol!) but it is a crazy busy area with the interstate and three colleges!

I don't see the lawsuit as going anyway. You enter knowingly that you might get hit in the head with a roll. It says it clearly on the sign, throwed rolls. You take a risk when you enter that type of establishment. End of story. I hope they fight it, but we all know they will probably settle to make it go away.

I can see it now...

The poster shows this nit wit with a thumbs up sign, and a roll-sized bump on his forehead.

Caption: "Home of the Throwed Rolls"

He says in a cartoon bubble: "I sued 'em for it!"

(Too soon?)

I'm visiting from Houston with family this week; Branson is very dead. I was told today at SDC (report to follow) that school begins this week for the area which is why SDC is closed all week until Friday (and the park was pretty empty). Houston schools don't start until next week and I don't start until the week after being that I am a sophomore at Texas A&M and we start later, so as usual, we took our family vacation late.

First off, huge shout out to SDC. We had a huge ticket kerfluffle and they were very cooperative and got the whole situation sorted out. They were absolute rock stars.

We ended up getting into the park around two leaving us 4 hours to get in as much as we could. We will be returning Friday (SDC is our bookends, and afterward we will head back to Houston), so we weren't frantically trying to do everything, but we tried to get in as much as we could so that way we could experience more on Friday. We actually ended up getting in all the major rides. but didn't get to Fireman's Landing; it is on the top of our list for Friday. My Dad is a firefighter so naturally he is pretty excited.

We walked in and just started walking, we had no idea where we were going, we just winged it. First impressions: the park is gorgeous. Absolutely stunning. We walked and walked and I ended up seeing the sign for Wildfire. So, we hopped right on in the back row. Awesome ride, short, but awesome. It was my third B&M sit-down and I really enjoyed the setting. We downloaded the SDC app to use a digital version of the map, but even then, the layout of the park was still somewhat confusing. Not many wide paths, and it's all forested; definitely not a Texas park. We eventually figured it out, but the first half of our visit was a lot of wondering where we were and how to get places.

We went to Thunderation and I was pleasantly surprised; it is actually a very good mine train. We really enjoyed it a lot. The other ones I've been on don't compare; I think it being on a hillside had a lot to do with it. Such a neat ride, certainly not something you'd see in Texas.

We headed over to the Giant S&S Swing, and it being my first, I really enjoyed it; all four of us found it to be very fun. Not crazy intense but it was all the fun of a childhood swing set on steroids. Pretty neat ride. After we got off, I looked to my right and there she was. The one, the only, Outlaw Run.

I have had actual dreams of riding this ride. 2 years of waiting and I would finally have my chance. I hopped into line with my dad who wanted to tag along for our longest queue of the day, just 25 minutes. Oh my gosh. Blew me away. It was my third RMC but my first with topper track and not IBox. I was told later that day by an employee that it used to be much smoother and that it had gotten rougher, but even then I found it to be not nearly as rough as any wood coaster I had been on and still an incredible ride. So out of control, extremely quick and fast paced, disorienting. Easily my now #1 coaster. The double barrel roll finale was incredible. Too much for my parents to handle but I thought it was absolutely amazing. Definitely worth the 2 year wait.

We headed on over to Powder Keg which caught us all by surprise. That launch is intense; by far the most intense launch I've been on. Such a cool ride; we all enjoyed it a ton.

We finished up our visit with second rounds on Wildfire and Outlaw Run, then caught the country show that started at park closing. Overall amazing day, and we are stoked to return Friday to experience more!

Sounds like nothing major for 2016, but Grand Expo is going to get some attention - not sure to what depth though. 2017 is sounding like a big year though and that we should keep an eye on the hill over by Wildfire/PowderKeg

Somebody's been reading the SDCFan forums...

Sounds like nothing major for 2016, but Grand Expo is going to get some attention - not sure to what depth though. 2017 is sounding like a big year though and that we should keep an eye on the hill over by Wildfire/PowderKeg

Somebody's been reading the SDCFan forums...

You? I had to Google SDCFan forums to even see what you were talking about.

Hey everyone! I see there has already been some trip advice discussion - I'm going to get in on the action.

Visiting Labor Day weekend (Sat and Sun). Anyone been in the past? What were the queue times like? I read about getting there early on Sunday to take advantage of the time while everyone's in church still.

How about restaurants/bars in the area outside of the park? I believe I'm staying at a hotel right across the street, as we got tickets/hotel in a package deal from Branson.com. First time visiting the park. I've been to Dollywood before so I know that taking the time to slow down and enjoy the scenery/arts and crafts is a must at the park.

If it's too crowded, honestly I'll but their version of the fastpass. Seems like a good deal. But yeah, looking for any other tips - especially things to do outside of the park as far as bars and restaurants go since the park closes somewhat early.

Thanks everyone!

-Zach

Bumping since I got buried under pages of SDC vs CC. Any help?

^That sure would be nice if they're a little softer now, for us taller folks.

I'm heading to the park this Saturday. I noticed that the park hours are only 9:30-6, so could that be an indication of lower crowds? Or should I get the Trailblazer pass?

Thanks in advance!

I'm heading to the park this Saturday. I noticed that the park hours are only 9:30-6, so could that be an indication of lower crowds? Or should I get the Trailblazer pass?

Thanks in advance!

Those hours are very normal for the park. They've tried keeping it open later, but when they did, most people still ended up leaving around 6-7. So they close early most days.

I wouldn't say Trailblazer Pass would be necessary this weekend. It's late enough in the summer that Branson's died down a bit. You'll still get the Springfield/Harrison families as always, but operations are great here and all the coasters but Powder Keg should be under 30 minutes. It's going to be about 90 degrees tomorow, though, so the water rides will have long lines. Just do American Plunge, Lost River, and Powder Keg first and you'll have a great day.

Thanks in advance!

Those hours are very normal for the park. They've tried keeping it open later, but when they did, most people still ended up leaving around 6-7. So they close early most days.

I wouldn't say Trailblazer Pass would be necessary this weekend. It's late enough in the summer that Branson's died down a bit. You'll still get the Springfield/Harrison families as always, but operations are great here and all the coasters but Powder Keg should be under 30 minutes. It's going to be about 90 degrees tomorow, though, so the water rides will have long lines. Just do American Plunge, Lost River, and Powder Keg first and you'll have a great day.

Here's the caveat, the Weather has been spectacular the past few days in the Ozarks, and the heat isn't brutal, actually chilly, Record lows have been recorded this week in the region. Only 80 degrees today(Friday), but rain chances pick up over the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...