TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 261: Arvest Bank announces 10 year sponsorship deal

So, I forgot to ask but, is wildfire running any better this season so far. Last year I went in May and had a major rattle and felt a bit sluggish.

We were in the park this past Saturday, with mostly sunny skies, and temps in the 60's. While riding Wildfire, there were no rattles to be heard, and it moved like greased lightnin'.

Just getting around to posting the trip report from last Sunday. we arrived at opening,and there was a light rain falling.we headed immediately to Fireman's Landing, where Firefall was still in testing. We rode Up the Ladder and the Dalmatians, then went back to check on Firefall. Seeing that there was an employee on the ride, I knew testing was nearly done and got in line. After the first group went though, they shut down the ride again and called in maintenance. Firefall was shut down until the afternoon, and when it finally did we open, the wait was over an hour. Since I have ridden it at Celebration City, I decided that the wait wasn't worth it. We rode everything else at Fireman's Landing, and everybody had a good time. This really is a major upgrade from Geyser Gulch. My son, who is 5, was much braver than he was last year. He went on Thunderation for the first time, and loved it! We went twice in a row.

We were busy enough all day that I didn't take a whole lot of pictures, but I do have a few. Love the new look of the lakefront; it really is improved.

20150322_110551.thumb.jpg.80943127a745250a95b6ec51f6e41657.jpg

Little-known fact: Gravity is rreversed on this ride, and you actually fall upwards. That's why there's a trampoline on the ceiling.

20150322_114748.thumb.jpg.1cc705e1b07e336238bb67a1d597184c.jpg

We're here for training!

20150322_110529.thumb.jpg.14e487f16c86e744143db59a96700e30.jpg

No fear of heights here!

20150322_124538.thumb.jpg.846053dab1dc642c34629b1712f8537c.jpg

Looks great, and you can see it from all over the park.

20150322_131104.thumb.jpg.4f9d671725c8c93807b4204c971a2dcf.jpg

I love how forested this park is, even with the new areas. This is from the queue for the wave swinger.

20150322_163037.thumb.jpg.c3e740313fe89ac6e0f8366a3018dd7a.jpg

Someone was photobombing my nice shot of the forest. Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

So, have any of you guys seen larger people ride outlaw run, that carry most of the weight in the mid section ride. I think I'm slightly to big to ride, but if I fit in NTAG will I fit in this. I just have gained weight since my last time at the park.

• 4 weeks later...

After seeing the awesome photos of Fireman's Landing, I'm definitely adding this park to my 2015 list! I'm thinking about making a trip in September. More likely I'll be visiting on the 13th, which is a Sunday. That's also the weekend for Country Music Weekend. Is Sunday a great day to visit? If it's going to busy I'm willing to purchase a Trailblazer Pass Unlimited. Plus, it'll be my first visit to the park.

After seeing the awesome photos of Fireman's Landing, I'm definitely adding this park to my 2015 list! I'm thinking about making a trip in September. More likely I'll be visiting on the 13th, which is a Sunday. That's also the weekend for Country Music Weekend. Is Sunday a great day to visit? If it's going to busy I'm willing to purchase a Trailblazer Pass Unlimited. Plus, it'll be my first visit to the park.

I don't know if you have a Dollywood Season Pass but one neat perk that never really gets mentioned is that it gets you 50% off admission to Silver Dollar City. If you don't have Dollywood on your travel list this year you might want to add it.

I don't know if you have a Dollywood Season Pass but one neat perk that never really gets mentioned is that it gets you 50% off admission to Silver Dollar City. If you don't have Dollywood on your travel list this year you might want to add it.

Thanks, but I've already been to Dollywood. It was back in 2007 (long time ago), but I usually visit a park once because I try using my time and money at new parks I haven't visited yet. I know it sounds crazy, but it's my weird system of traveling all over North America to hit every park I can possibly go to. So far my theme park count is 25! I always wanted to visit Silver Dollar City, and I think I waited long enough. This year is the year I make the drive to this awesome park and add it to my count. Plus I can credit whore on the coasters as well.

Trailblazer Pass won't be necessary. Remember that SDC only has four major coasters, so the pass isn't as big of a deal as it is at other parks. Plus, the crowds that the Country Music Festival attracts typically aren't going to be interested in coasters.SDC is weird in that it can be packed yet have no wait for rides.

When you come, do not skip the cave. It's the whole reason for the park's existence and plays a huge role in the back story of nearly every ride. Do the lantern tour if you get the chance. It's SDC's one and only up charge attraction, and I believe it's about $8. They only do the lanterns on the last tour, so get your tickets early as it does sell out. If you can't make it, the regular tours are free and are held every 20 minutes throughout the day.

Trailblazer Pass won't be necessary. Remember that SDC only has four major coasters, so the pass isn't as big of a deal as it is at other parks. Plus, the crowds that the Country Music Festival attracts typically aren't going to be interested in coasters.SDC is weird in that it can be packed yet have no wait for rides.

When you come, do not skip the cave. It's the whole reason for the park's existence and plays a huge role in the back story of nearly every ride. Do the lantern tour if you get the chance. It's SDC's one and only up charge attraction, and I believe it's about $8. They only do the lanterns on the last tour, so get your tickets early as it does sell out. If you can't make it, the regular tours are free and are held every 20 minutes throughout the day.

Thanks! I heard the cave is definitely a must do. You're probably right, I might skip the Trailblazer Pass, and see how the crowds are. Hopefully, it shouldn't be too bad. I heard great things about this park and I'm sure it's going to live up to it!

Silver Dollar City has sent us information about this years' Bluegrass and BBQ Festival!

(Branson, Mo. 5/2015) One of the nation’s top bluegrass events, Silver Dollar City’s Bluegrass & BBQ brings the heat, from the hottest bands in bluegrass to the slow-smoked barbecue, May 7 – 25 at the Branson, Missouri theme park. The festival “presents more bluegrass bands on multiple stages to more new audiences than any other event in the nation,” said Nancy Cardwell, International Bluegrass Music Association (IBMA) Executive Director 2012-14.

Awarded Bluegrass Event of the Year by the IBMA, the world’s largest organization of bluegrass music professionals, Bluegrass & BBQ this year presents more than 40 bands on multiple stages throughout the park, with international award-winning musicians, Grammy nominees, fan favorites and chart-climbing new bands coming for the festival.

Award-winning Grammy-nominated performers include Rhonda Vincent, described as the “Queen of Bluegrass Music” by the Wall Street Journal and 7-time IBMA Female Vocalist of the Year, performing with The Rage, the most awarded band in bluegrass; Balsam Range, winners of the 2014 IBMA Entertainer of the Year and Male Vocalist of the Year; Blue Highway, with 15-time IBMA Dobro Player of the Year and 2014 Songwriter of the Year; and the Grascals, two-time IBMA Entertainer of the Year.

Newer artists include Flatt Lonesome, Driven, The Lindsey Family, The Baker Family and The Willis Clan, featured on America’s Got Talent and starring in their own show on the TLC network. Unique artists include The Kruger Brothers, bluegrass musicians from Switzerland, whose repertoire ranges from traditional bluegrass to Bach to R&B songs.

Spotlighting the next generation of bluegrass talent, the park presents an annual Youth in Bluegrass band contest, set for May 23, with 21 bands from around the country competing for honors.

Another top feature is the barbecue, and The House of BBQ serves up a flavor feast from St. Louis-style ribs and smoked chicken to Texas brisket and pulled pork -- direct from large outdoor charcoal grills and the park’s custom-made 20-foot long smoker. An all-you-can-eat BBQ rib feast is featured on the Square each afternoon with fall-off-the-bone smoked ribs in four flavors, plus SDC’s famous 18-hour smoked brisket, along with smoked pork, chicken and sausage.

Silver Dollar City is open daily during Bluegrass & BBQ, May 7 – 25, except for Tuesdays, May 11 & 18. Hours are 9:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (9:30 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. on Saturdays and Sunday, May 24). For information and performers’ schedules: 800-831-4FUN(386), or http://www.silverdollarcity.com.

SDCBBQ.jpg.9c6bb4a623b522c61991f73f4cb6e5dd.jpg

Soooo, there is a possible St. Louis trip this summer to visit family on the cards this summer. I see this park is rather close (maybe a 3 and a half hours) and I would want to know if it is worth it, or should I stick with Six Flags over St. Louis? I have been to Dollywood, SDC's sister park, and had my best day at a park ever there. Although, keep in mind that this would truly have to be a special park if I were to convince them. Thanks!

Soooo, there is a possible St. Louis trip this summer to visit family on the cards this summer. I see this park is rather close (maybe a 3 and a half hours) and I would want to know if it is worth it, or should I stick with Six Flags over St. Louis? I have been to Dollywood, SDC's sister park, and had my best day at a park ever there. Although, keep in mind that this would truly have to be a special park if I were to convince them. Thanks!

I like SFSTL, but SDC is the best amusement or theme park I've ever been to. If you can convince your family, go to SDC. Especially since your top 2 coasters are both RMCs, and SDC has an amazing RMC coaster.

I would want to know if it is worth it, or should I stick with Six Flags St. Louis? I have been to Dollywood, SDC's sister park, and had my best day at a park ever there. Although, keep in mind that this would truly have to be a special park if I were to convince them. Thanks!

Absolutely. SDC>>>>>SfStL no question. I cannot speak on behalf of those who have been to Dollywood (like yourself) but it is probably on par since they are sister parks. Outlaw Run is worth the drive alone. I'd definitely recommend a day in Branson for Silver Dollar City.

First off, thank you for all your input! Would you say that a true RMC wooden coaster, like Outlaw Run or Goliath, is better than a wood-steel hybrid, like Ntag or Irat? Thanks again!

Outlaw Run is said to be neck-and-neck with NTAG and Medusa for best RMC coaster, but is definitely thought of as better than the rest of them. If you liked iRat, you'd like Outlaw Run even more.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there TPR, we were looking to finally take a trip to the Ozarks and experience Silver Dollar City for the first time this coming week, so I had a few of the usual questions.

Any lodging you would recommend around the area? I know that the Bluegrass & BBQ festival is going on, so how bad of crowds should we expect? Any specific eating stops around the park we shouldn't miss?

Thanks in advance.

^ SDC is a weird place as theme parks go. A lot of their festivals are focused on music, and at those times, the crowds are there for the music, not the rides. Parking can be out to the overflow lots and the rides are still walk-ons. Really, the Bluegrass festival is a great time if you're there for the rides, for exactly that reason.

The "main event" for BBQ is located at the Red Gold Heritage Hall, which is next to the Grand Expo. It will be open all day, so don't try to go around noon, as the line for it then is often all the way out to Echo Hollow. Wait until later in the day; if you go about 4-5, you'll get right in. They have many different vendors with just about every style imaginable, so you'll find something you like. The food is very good and reasonably priced around $10. SDC's food in general is much lower priced and much higher quality than your typical theme park.

As for the rides, hit Firefall first if you're interested. The line only gets longer as the day goes on. Then on to Outlaw Run, Powder Keg, and Wildfire, in that order. By that time the water rides should be open (they open an hour after the park in the spring), so if the forecast is anywhere over 80 degrees, do American Plunge next. It's right next to Wildfire, and features a 50-foot drop. They've let the animatronics go in recent years--uncharacteristic for this park--but the drop is amazing, and you will get soaked. After that, go to Lost River, as the line can be over an hour later in the day. It's one of the better Intamin raft rides, and low capacity with six-seat boats. Hit it early.

You can really do what you want the rest of the day; nothing else will ever have a long queue. Fire in the Hole is a unique dark ride/coaster that you should not miss. Thunderation is the best mine train I've ever been on, and is certainly one of the best anywhere. Tom and Huck's River Blast is a very fun splash battle, and usually has quite a few people around the ride who will be happy to hose you. Flooded Mine is an old but wonderful shooting dark ride built totally in-house.

But the one absolutely not-to-be-missed attraction is Marvel Cave. It is the reason for the park's existence, and is still the focus of attention. Make sure you allot an hour for the cave. You will not regret it.

Welcome to the Ozarks. Have fun!

Perfectly stated ytterbiumanalyst! That's exactly what I would have said!

About lodging: Deer Run has always worked out well for us. The rooms aren't anything to speak of, but it's clean and it's right next to the park. There's a shuttle right to SDC's front gate. The Best Western nearby is also supposed to be decent and also has a shuttle.

In Branson itself there are a litany of small hotels that have very similar rooms for similar rates. There are a number of bad apples in the bunch, so you'd have to look for recent reviews that look trustworthy, but a lot of it is the same wherever you go. Classic motor inn is a good one, and they give a discount if you mention SDCFans. If you want a nicer room than the typical Branson minimum, there is a good Holiday Inn and the downtown hilton isn't that pricy comparatively.

Bad Apple = Stay away from Westgate resorts and their sister properties, horrible.

I've stayed at The Village at Indian Point several times and have been happy, it's near the park but no shuttle. Right on the lake and features two bedrooms, living room, and kitchen. The wifi kicks ass too, but not as much as waking up, walking onto the deck, and seeing the lake.

Any lodging you would recommend around the area?
When we travel we always stay at IHG properties. There is a nice Holiday Inn Express on Green Mountain drive. It's a bit of a drive to the park, but it's close to the main Branson strip. It's a nice hotel, with really comfortable beding, and pillows. Nice breakfast too. I highly recommended this hotel.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m planning a road trip that includes the following stops:

Six Flags Over Texas Sunday and Monday, June 14 and 15, 2015;

Six Flags St. Louis Thursday, June 18, 2015;

Silver Dollar City Friday, June 19, 2015.

My main interest is in the coasters. If anyone would like to meet up for some rides, please let me know. Thanks.

Robert Downie

RobertDownie10@gmail.com

^ Why are you going from Texas to St. Louis and then backtracking to Branson?

Right. Especially if you're driving. From Texas to St. Louis you pass through Springfield, MO which is only 45 miles from Branson.