TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 261: Arvest Bank announces 10 year sponsorship deal

Honestly, all FITH really needs is a little freshening up and replacing a few animatronics. The ride went through a total refurb in 2007, and that really brought new life into it. Now, American Plunge is what needs an overhaul. So many animatronics are broken if not removed completely. Personally, I didn't like the fact that when they built Wildfire, they just had most of the Plunge go through a long straight concrete tunnel--just dark, nothing to see. There's plenty of land there that could be used for an extended Plunge, and a lot of the old Jim Owen's stuff that is still there but not in use. I'm totally excited by Fireman's Landing (as you can tell by my current avatar), but I would just love it if the next big project were a Plunge refurb or even a totally new flume ride.

Honestly, all FITH really needs is a little freshening up and replacing a few animatronics. The ride went through a total refurb in 2007, and that really brought new life into it. Now, American Plunge is what needs an overhaul. So many animatronics are broken if not removed completely. Personally, I didn't like the fact that when they built Wildfire, they just had most of the Plunge go through a long straight concrete tunnel--just dark, nothing to see. There's plenty of land there that could be used for an extended Plunge, and a lot of the old Jim Owen's stuff that is still there but not in use. I'm totally excited by Fireman's Landing (as you can tell by my current avatar), but I would just love it if the next big project were a Plunge refurb or even a totally new flume ride.

Like I said I've only been employed at the park for a little over a year (mechanic for Powder Keg). I didn't even realize that FITH had a section removed until recently. It would be nice it there was a book of the history of the park.

I agree that the plunge could use a renovation. I've only rode it once but, again, I don't know what kind of theming the ride used to have.

From what I've heard FITH needs more than just a "freshening up". I'm not talking about the sets and animatronics, I'm talking about the ride system itself. The splashdown makes the trains and track of the ride constantly wet and damp which is a problem for a ride that's been around for decades. That's the reason Dollywood eliminated the splashdown on Blazing Fury.

FITH needs much more than a "refreshening" -- in fact it is to the point where the ride is going to have to go down for a major reahaul in the not so distant future. The structure is basically rotting itself from the inside out. It will be interesting to see how the park handles this, because like was mentioned above - the ride has a cult like following

I remember when I was here back in 2002 vs earlier this year; FITH's splash was more intense this year. I only got a mild soaking back then, but this year I got completely drenched. Has there been an increase in water volume? That could explain some of the wear and tear. But then again, what do I know?

Like I'm sure everyone knows, Fire-In-The-Hole is a favorite at the park and has a cult following. But it is in need of serious refurbishment (IMO). What aspects of the ride do you think make the ride a favorite with the locals/general public? Do you think there are certain parts of the ride that if removed or changed would cause complaints from guests? I've heard that locals at Dollywood weren't enthusiastic when the water was removed on Blazing Fury.
We visit the park usually several times a month, and FITH always has a line. I have noticed that the ride is a HUGE hit with families. All most everyone can ride it. It is fun, but not to scary for the kids. All the kids LOVE the final drop, and the water splash. It is inside which on hot summer days is nice. So, why is it so popular??

- Family Ride (for the old and the young)

- Its a nice long ride in the cool AC in the hot summer time.

- Kids love the drop into the water splash.

- Its one of those "When I was a kid this was the big ride" they pass that on to their kids, and it becomes kind of a family tradition.

I know we ride it at least once every time we are at the park. Its a great little ride.

I remember when I was here back in 2002 vs earlier this year; FITH's splash was more intense this year. I only got a mild soaking back then, but this year I got completely drenched. Has there been an increase in water volume? That could explain some of the wear and tear. But then again, what do I know?

There is a "summer mode" and a "normal mode" -- during the "summer mode" there are two water jets that blast water up into the air when the train enters the splash pool. Those jets are turned off during "normal mode"

^Every time I go on Fire-in-the-Hole I hear people in the queue and on the ride quoting lines from the ride and talking about the story. People love the theme, characters, and the cheesiness of the whole ride.

I have heard that the ride is in need of lots of repair and that the splashdown is a big factor in that. I honestly don't think there is anyway to fix the ride permanently without pissing off locals, but if it needs to be fixed it needs to be fixed. I'd love for the thing to be completely gutted out and given a new Zierer drop track with all new animatronics and sets (from Garner Holt). As long as they keep the storyline and the well-known quotes, I think it would go over well with the majority of people.

This is kind of what I've been thinking. I want to see it be redone in a big way eventually because I think there aren't a whole lot of options for keeping it as-is indefinitely, and I'd rather see it live on as something new and grand than just rot away. I really do want it to be done well though, it's not just some old dark ride that can be replaced with some new tricks. They still know how to tell a good story with attractions at SDC though, so I think they can do it.

This ride really is a special piece of the city. It's a classic, well-thought out ride with a lot of character, history, and timeless appeal. The story is unique, intriguing, and very Ozarkan. Less and less people realize this, but the ride is actually telling the backstory of the entire park. Legend states that the Baldknobbers burned the old mining town of Marmaros down to the ground. Silver Dollar City was supposed to be a recreation of what that town could have looked like.

Almost everyone that's from the area has grown up visiting SDC and riding this thing. It's been a big part of making SDC and HFEC what it is today. I wish they'd go back to making custom rides like this again.

Then again, you'd have people like the old geezers at SDCFans who would talk about how the park is loosing all of its charm and it is falling apart.

Well of course! That's what you get when the park has been doing it all for so long and so well that most of its fanboys have grown up and are grey haired and crotchety.

^Lol. The main argument I don't get is that a lot of the older fanboys don't like that the new buildings in the park aren't all run down looking and have fresh and bright paint. But in the 1800s, the buildings wouldn't look run down, they'd look brand new since they actually would be brand new. But that's a discussion for another day.

Anyways, I agree that Herschend is more than capable of revitalizing Fire in the Hole. I just hope they do that instead of letting it rot away. Even if the ride itself could be considered "lame" by today's standards, it does have a lot of fun parts and has a few good surprises.

Vote for Silver Dollar City as Best Public Light Display

www.10best.com/awards/travel/best-public-lights-display/christmas-on-main-street-silver-dollar-city/

Christmas on Main Street, part of the park-wide An Old Time Christmas event at Silver Dollar City in Branson, Mo., sees the park bedecked in some 5 million lights. Taking place from November 1 to December 30, the highlight of the event is the 5-story special effects Christmas tree covered in 350,000 LED lights, which along with the lights on nearby storefronts and trees, dance in unison during the Light Spectacular several times each evening.

• 2 weeks later...

Today the Springfield News-Leader published a story from former mayor Tom Carlson about the origins of Silver Dollar City. No new information here, and the article is definitely one-sided, but if you're not familiar with the story, it's a good read.

http://www.news-leader.com/story/news/local/ozarks/2014/12/06/woman-behind-silver-dollar-city/20021773/

The history of Silver Dollar City can't be told without telling the story of Mary Herschend.

Like Moses in the Bible, who didn't want the job God had in mind for him, the last thing Mary wanted back in 1949 was to move to the Ozarks and become an entrepreneur. She would have preferred to live out her life in a nice Chicago suburb as a mother and the second wife of Hugo Herschend.

But, like the biblical hero, she accepted the task life presented her, even though it was not her choice.

Today, more than 60 years after Mary came to the Ozarks, the imprint of her efforts is evident in the nation's largest family-owned theme park corporation, which employs 11,000 people in 10 states and includes such diverse attractions as theme parks, aquariums and the Harlem Globetrotters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not necessarily coaster-related, but I was digging through the vinyl records at my local Goodwill a few weeks ago, and stumbled upon an unopened copy of this gem in great condition for less than a dollar:

91yuqAfd7LL._SL1500_.jpg.2c0514a098b2ee1d62d5e17bed3552c1.jpg

Not my picture; I grabbed it from Amazon, since I'm away from my record collection right now.

Needless to say, as both a theme park nerd and a record collector, I was thrilled. I don't know what it was doing in northeast Georgia or how it got here, but it's a cool little piece of early 80's theme park nostalgia that I thought y'all would appreciate.