Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 261: Arvest Bank announces 10 year sponsorship deal

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually they have been taking some steps to address that issue with TNT. They are also redoing several other support areas around TNT where the construction of Time Traveler was done.  

"Move" may not be the best way to word it. "Build a new version of it" is a better way to describe it.  Think of what Mystic River Falls is to Lost River. More than likely, it would be a completely di

I also think new enthusiasts confuse intense with rough 

Posted Images

Expect to pay between $12 and $15 per meal if you want to enjoy yourself. You can go as low as $8 getting smaller meals and water, or $5-$6 if you just get snacks like cinnamon bread.

thanks for the advice!

The prices for food at SDC are around what you pay at Six Flags, Disney World, or virtually any other theme park (normally $10 a meal and $2 a drink if you get the souvenir cup). The thing is, the food is so good you won't even care about the prices.

Yeah you can pretty much expect average theme park prices at SDC, though in some cases, you get what you pay for (yes I'm talking about that famous Cinnamon Bread). I've been to quite a few amusement parks (although nothing to boast about compared to many other users here) and I still haven't found a park that competes with Holiday World's reasonable food prices. Granted the food is nothing too special, you still aren't shelling out $10+ dollars for just a cheeseburger sans fries and no drink. Hopefully Silver Dollar City will hop aboard the free drinks train one day!

Congratulations to Silver Dollar City and Outlaw Run for coming in #3 in the big Wood Coaster Poll!

Such a solid awesome ride!

Wow that is great. Honestly I think it deserved number one. It is the most unique, intense and awesome roller coasters ever constructed. I'm not trying to create fanboy fights but I think outlaw run is better than el toro

And I'm sure it placed as high in the poll as it did because of people like you. Location and knowledge of the park may have played as big of a role in the ranking of Outlaw Run as the fact that it was a first year entry. It's just not a destination park like the big parks are, and without Robb and Elissa and TPR's videos and trip reports, even some enthusiasts wouldn't have SDC high on their lists of must attend parks. I'm excited to see what the increase in popularity of the park due to great additions and great publicity will bring in the years to come.

• 2 weeks later...
^ Obviously everyone is different, so it's hard to say. But, when I was there with TPR in August I fit with a small nudge from a friend. I'm 6'6", bigger waist and I have big thighs as well.

Oh yeah, I think you messaged me about that. I couldn't remember if it was before or after the adjustments when you rode it though.

^Didn't even notice your username. Yep, I did message you. We were there right after the adjustments were made, because everyone was freaking out after reading some of the internet rumors about the changes. No issues from any of our group.

I feel a bit better about heading down there. I'm 5'7'' and around 200 but I have pretty big thighs. Of course, I will still enjoy the park regardless if I can ride it or not, but it would be an unfortunate 18 hour roundtrip and not be able to ride the main attraction.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning on visiting SDC over spring break in a few weeks and I have some quick questions:

1. What is a good, but inexpensive hotel in the area(less than $50-$60 a night)?

2. I'm planning on being by myself, is there enough to warrant spending 2 days at the park?

3. Are there single rider lines?

4. I think that the day's that I'm planning on going are Math/Science day and the first day of the Christian Youth Weekend. Any thoughts on what kind of crowds I might experience?

5. Is there anything around Branson that is a must see/do attraction?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

1. There are at least a few hotels that meet your price range in Branson, though a few might not be open quite yet. I've stayed at the Spinning Wheel Inn in the past, very nice for around $50 a night, and they have a sister hotel also with the same price. If the Homestay Inn is open I stayed there for around the same price.

2. This will depend on you and how much you plan on doing non-ride things in the park. I usually go solo for 2 days and take in the shows, shops, and spend a lot of time walking around taking in the atmosphere. There's also the cave tour to consider. Frankly I think the park benefits from taking it at a slower pace.

3. Nope, sorry.

4. I've never been during that time but I've heard that Young Christian's Weekend tends to flood the park with teenagers who will probably be...acting like teenagers. I'm sure Math and Science day will only add to that. There will also be some shops not open and shows not running.

5. Unless you're into shows of the older country star or Hillbilly variety, not really. The Herschend dinner attractions (Showboat, Dixie Stampede) are fun as is Ride the Ducks. Nothing mandatory though. And though I have never sought them out, I know there plenty of places to do nature-y things, and the area off of the strip is gorgeous.

I'm planning on visiting SDC over spring break in a few weeks and I have some quick questions:

1. What is a good, but inexpensive hotel in the area(less than $50-$60 a night)?

2. I'm planning on being by myself, is there enough to warrant spending 2 days at the park?

4. I think that the day's that I'm planning on going are Math/Science day and the first day of the Christian Youth Weekend. Any thoughts on what kind of crowds I might experience?

I'm visiting SDC for my very first time in 2 weeks from today and I found a really good deal on SDC's website through a resort called Still Waters Condo Resort. They have newly remodeled rooms so hopefully it's nice. It includes SDC tickets into the cost.

1. Nearly all the motels in Branson are around this price range. You'll have no shortage of options. Personally, I like the Outback Motel on 76. They have an Australian restaurant that is maybe not authentic but certainly good.

2. Yes, two days. Spring Break is a very busy time. There's not a whole lot to do in the Ozarks this time of year--most things open later in the spring--so SDC's opening is kind of a big deal to families with kids.

3. No, they experimented with that last year for Outlaw Run's opening, but after a couple of weeks abandoned the idea. Fortunately, lines are never really all that long at SDC. Hit up Powder Keg first; its line moves the slowest.

4. Oh crap. Yeah, we avoid that weekend. It's extremely popular around here. For Christian Youth weekend, they always get some Christian rock band to put on a concert, and that's included in the ticket price. This part of the world is very red and very heavily evangelical Protestant, so people go nuts for that sort of thing.

5. Nope. SDC is it. There's mini golf and go karts and that sort of thing. Fun, but nothing that you can't find elsewhere. Take a drive around and look at the scenery. The Ozarks are absolutely beautiful. If you have GPS, then get off onto some of the back roads. We blast through the mountains to build the highways, but the back roads wind around and you'll find some spots with scenery like you can't find anywhere else.

Edited by ytterbiumanalyst
While you are at the park do not miss a Marvel Cave tour!

SDC has LONG been on my list of parks that I really want to visit, and I just recently heard about this cave... I also quite enjoy caves. Can someone explain more of what this is / how long it takes to do? There is like a 20% chance of me hitting the park this summer...