TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

lol, it's a saying, but not what I would say after an accident with people injured...

This whole thing is crazy. We don't know the cause, and I don't want to speculate too much, but this train has been in operation for 60 years now without any other major incidents that I know of. I wonder if some of the track sections are simply worn out from the years and near-constant use. I know they've done maintenance and some track work over the years, but as with everything else there may have been some things that slipped. Who knows what the lead time is on new train rails these days... 

Glad to hear of no serious injuries, which is incredibly lucky when you have such a huge group of people being literally tipped over together. The people on the left edge might have been thrown a good way. I wonder how quickly it happened. 

Going to be a tough Christmas without one of the biggest attractions. 

• Like 1

We just rode the train in mid-September and nothing seemed out of whack or dangerous.  The ride was smooth, no large bumps that I can recall nor were there any strange sounds aside from the usual train wheel sounds.  Speaking of, the fact that someone had to clarify the wheels were silver rather than black rubber?  C'mon, train wheels aren't rubber.  Steel on steel, the tracks drive the train.

I guess they're gonna have to remove the joke about the crashed locomotive now, haha.  Either that or own this incident and give a quick modern re-write!  When in doubt, double down!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

We were at the ACE Coaster Christmas event last weekend. Unfortunately, a cold snap AND a surprise little snow storm late Friday night meant that it never got above 35 on Saturday so only Thunderation and Fire in the Hole were open. They did have flooded mine going and a handful of the kids rides. Also, no giant swing. Of course the train is still closed and obviously no water rides, so.......it was not the best day for an event which was exactly no one's fault. Since there are only so many hours you can fill up with shows, food  and Grandfather's mansion we left a little earlier than we normally would have on Saturday. With all those rides down the midway on the big hill that leads to the Opera House and therefore the lines backs up there was so crowded you almost couldn't get through.

But huge Kudos to the park. We had presentations with coffee, hot chocolate and cinnamon rolls in the morning and since I am sure they could see it was not going to be a good day for rides every attendee (and I think it was around 200) got a free ticket for next year, some Christmas ornaments and a freebie raffle with various tchotchke's. We also had the Trailblazer pass that gives you 8 skip the lines. That we were always going to have since ert is usually impossible at this event due to, too cold before park open and too late/cold after park close. For the event tickets and trailblazer's were good for Sat and Sun.

The presentations included Worlds of Fun and they gave us a nice preview of Zambezi Zinger and some of the 50th anniversary plans for next year. Brad Thomas gave a small presentation for SDC. Taking a book out of Universal's "it's just a churro stand" playbook he insisted the new building going up is a Dollar General, but he did indicate that it would not be open for customers until 2024. He also talked a bit about the big land purchase and that there would be work done on parking and road into the park. Not sure if he was connecting those two or not. He did mention that maintenance had made a path between the park and new territory that and ATV could navigate. Announcements about what would happen there to come at a future date. Our group speculated that the new land might be hotel and/or water park and/or new parking lot and entrance. Or the other option which is we have no idea whatsoever.

Shockingly, no one from SFSTL showed up to present anything about future plans.🙄

Went back on Sunday armed with extra Trailblazers thanks to several people that had to leave for home first thing on Sun morning. We had a very narrow window of opportunity, approx 2-4 to get rides in while the temps were cooperating. Hit Outlaw Run (one train ops), Powder Keg (two trains), Time Traveler (also two trains) as many times as we could. Wildfire never opened, although it did test. Not sure if it was temps or mechanical.

We had to leave about 4 to drive back to STL anyway and just about that time the coasters started to shut down again as the temps dropped. Gifted all the leftover Trailblazers to families with kids in the hopes they could use them that evening on kids stuff.

Plan to use the tickets on a nice warm summer day next year and if I do anymore ACE Christmas events I think I'm heading down to Texas to chase the warm weather 😜

• Like 4

We're planning a post-Xmas visit and yeah temps are a concern, although Thunderation staying open would be just fine for my youngest, he'd ride that all day.  But that's just how our timing worked out so will make the best of it.    Maybe doctoring up some wassail will help ;) 

• Like 1

Aw, that's unfortunate. Coaster Christmas is always an interesting event, but most of the time it's a bit warmer. You never know if it's going to be in the 70's or 20's this time of year around here, and it can be both across a weekend. I was hoping they would say more about the new indoor coaster, and maybe even provide a construction tour, but I guess that will come next year hopefully. 

I'm surprised that it was still crowded with it being so cold and the rides down. People sure like lights. In the old days people would still come for the shows, but I didn't think they were as much of a draw anymore with all the changes they've had to make. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

https://www.ky3.com/2022/12/19/osha-fines-silver-dollar-city-after-death-maintenance-employee-this-summer/

OSHA fines Silver Dollar City after the death of a maintenance employee this summer

BRANSON, Mo. (KY3) - OSHA is fining Silver Dollar City over $14,000 after a maintenance employee died in July.

According to the U.S. Department of Labor’s website, the penalty is $14,502 for the incident.

In July, an OSHA spokesperson shared with KY3 that the maintenance man was hospitalized on July 20 with head injuries allegedly sustained during maintenance and testing of a rollercoaster and died of his blunt force head trauma injuries on July 21.

The man had worked at Silver Dollar City since 2017.

Silver Dollar City released a statement to KY3 News:

The safety of all Silver Dollar City hosts and guests is a responsibility we take with the utmost seriousness. We have worked with OSHA over the past several months to review the employee accident that took place earlier this year, which included discussions regarding our voluntary revisions to safeguarding measures in restricted areas. OSHA has reviewed and accepted these changes, training for which has been implemented with the appropriate personnel.

According to the OSHA inspection process, when OSHA issues a citation to an employer, it also offers the employer an opportunity for an informal conference with the OSHA Area Director to discuss citations, penalties, abatement dates, or any other information pertinent to the inspection. The agency and the employer may work out a settlement agreement to resolve the matter and to eliminate the hazard.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the park yesterday.  Temperature ended up not being a concern, it actually came close to 60 degrees in the afternoon, so 'everything' was running.   In quotes because all of the coasters except for Wildfire had operating issues over the day;  Time Traveler in particular was down a few times and the 2nd time was down for so long we weren't sure it was coming back.  We ended up skipping a 2nd ride on it even so; they were running one train and even a short-ish line for that moves so slow.  And the app was not showing any wait times until evening; even the few rides such as Outlaw Run that have wait time displays outside weren't working either.  It did at least show operating status.

Needless to say the park was very, VERY busy; the busiest I've ever seen it personally since normally I work to avoid busy days.  We got parked in lot 76 and bussed over to the park itself, I've never had to park so far away before. It's funny because I was doing the usual plan of drive past SDC into Branson West, turning around and coming in that way, saves SO much time when there's traffic coming from Branson proper, but employees were trying to get people to turn into the 76 lot, with few takers, so we zipped right in.  That saved us probably 20 minutes of car time if not more.

Lot of the same things happening that really bothered me on our last visit though; once again food stands running out of food but you don't get to find that out until you're through the line, and with it so busy that line can be long and slow.  That was probably the biggest frustration of the day, and I actually left the park hungry, which NEVER happens.

We did have a good time nonetheless, the lights are magnificent as always.  I particularly liked they stuck lights on the construction walls that are around the site of the fire.  And they decorated that little shack that's out by Wildfire's old extended queue.  Just reminds me how detail oriented the park is, like who would have even thought to bother to go out there and do that.

The park is still struggling in so many ways. So many older, experienced employees have either died, retired, or been so PO'd that they left never to return. Management is basically running the place on prayer and duct tape. Several restaurants and food stands such as Percy's and the Mine have not opened since 2020. Rides are more temperamental than ever, and they have less experienced maintenance staff to keep them going. Mystic River Falls is still running at a fraction of the capacity it was supposed to have and still breaks down constantly, not to mention Time Traveler still having constant issues and missing it's third train. The lights really distract people from how much the park has fallen off in recent years. 

The new employee dorms will allow them to bring in some fresh bodies I guess, but the root of the problem is management. I hate to see the park suffer this decline. 

I know they have big plans for the place with resorts and all that, but if they can barely keep the park functioning as it is, how will growth help?

I find it strange to see people mentioning the park's failings because when we visited in September the place was kicking ass and taking names.  Every ride was open, no downtime, no big lines, etc.  We had an absolutely incredible day with multiple laps on every coaster (except Powder Keg because those are the worst, most uncomfortable trains on earth and I've ridden a Screaming Squirrel) and that was while taking our sweet time to wander around. We never felt like we had to rush; just a chill, relaxing day.  Hopefully Shavethewhales went on an off-day and that doesn't become the norm. 

On 1/1/2023 at 11:55 AM, KBrylczyk said:

I find it strange to see people mentioning the park's failings because when we visited in September the place was kicking ass and taking names.  Every ride was open, no downtime, no big lines, etc.  We had an absolutely incredible day with multiple laps on every coaster (except Powder Keg because those are the worst, most uncomfortable trains on earth and I've ridden a Screaming Squirrel) and that was while taking our sweet time to wander around. We never felt like we had to rush; just a chill, relaxing day.  Hopefully Shavethewhales went on an off-day and that doesn't become the norm. 

I visited several times this season and never encountered any major issues. I had an incredible experience no matter when I visited. Sure, there were a few shops and food stalls occasionally closed, but that's to be expected. Every coaster that needs 2+ train ops were running multiple trains, so wait times were never an issue. There weren't any noticeable maintenance issues either besides one visit where Powder Keg opened late with just one train running. Either I have been extremely lucky, or Shavethewhales has been extremely unlucky.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 11:55 AM, KBrylczyk said:

I visit a fair bit and have been doing so for the past 20+ years, and I know a lot of people who do the same. My opinion isn't based on a single "off-day". A lot of it is growing pains and difficulties with the current economic/job market. Some days are better than others, obviously. They always seem to do better in the Fall and early summer. Christmas time can be hit and miss with the huge crowds, weather, staffing levels, rides being more temperamental at the end of a long season, etc. I have been told that the last week was pretty difficult with large crowds and rides misbehaving. 

There's a lot more growth coming to the park over the next decades, and we have all enjoyed their high standards for so long, so you can see why I'm nervous about how it's being managed. You start talking to people in Branson and so many have such a negative view of the park because of experience working there or knowing others that did. SDC has never had a large employment pool to draw from, so they are increasingly running short staffed. Hopefully the new year and improvements the park is making will fix some of the complaints. 

I think it comes down to being spoiled.  The park is fantastic the vast majority of the time, so it stands out more when it falls a little short, compared to lesser parks where you expect a certain amount of disappointment.

I hope I hadn't come across as down on the park; very much not the case.  The only thing I viewed definitively as the park's fault is the food thing, it really sucks to wait 20+ minutes in line for nothing; they do have Sold Out signs/stickers because I've seen them used but they don't use them enough (and I told guest services as much).  

One small thing that again speaks to their attention to detail is they fixed the ghost trap!  Little things like that just endear the park to me so much.

• Like 1

Spoiled. Bored. Expecting the perfect trip. Seeing things from a different perspective than other guests. That's where we were. We moved on and had a kid. We don't bitch as much as we used to. The little things don't bother us like they used to.

But if you're not happy, don't go. You don't owe the park anything. It's up to them to make you happy.

• Like 2

^ It really is amazing to me how much of an effect becoming a father has had on my patience and understanding.  He's not even two years old but we've done Disneyland, Adventureland, SDC, SFGAdv, and maybe one or two other amusement park days.  I'm no longer the "go go go get on everything ASAP" guy and now I'm the "take your time, enjoy the day" guy.  Even on my honeymoon I wouldn't take an afternoon to just relax, I was too busy trying to see and do everything we could in a limited time.  Hindsight is always 20/20 and looking back I wish I was able to better understand the beauty of taking your time.

• Like 8

It's funny how kids change you experience and perspective. We're still go go go and get as much done as you can, but if there's a long line for something the kids want to do that I would normally skip on my own, we do it lol. An hour for the log flume vs 10 minutes for a great coaster? Guess we're waiting for this log ride now lol. But yeah it is nice to have what I would normally consider an average day at a park day turn into a really good day just because I know the kids had a great time and didn't notice or care about little operational annoyances like I do. We also just sit down and chill a lot more with kids than I ever did before, and that's nice, but also maybe I'm just getting old.

• Like 5

The amount of appreciation you get from the little things in life is great. Her joy is our deep meaningful joy multiplied. We don't live for ourselves anymore, and life takes on a real purpose. For that, I'll gladly wait in the hour long log flume line to make her happy.

• Like 11

• 1 month later...

Big announcement in two hours. It seems like an odd time to be making an announcement to me, so I wonder if they are announcing FITH's retirement or something else. They have certainly hyped this announcement all over social media and are describing it as "historic" so it must be big. The only other thing that comes to mind is the new land they purchased and our assumption that they will eventually open an on-site resort hotel like DW. 

Well it confirmed what we have basically known for a year, but now we will have to deal with a whole new round of "they're ruining the park/my childhood/things should never change" a la Splash Mountain, even though the decision is made. It's already starting on FB and I'm sure the change.org petition is coming soon. 🙄 I can't take it, lol! If the new mystery building is FITH 2.0 I wish they would announce that asap in an attempt to quiet some of the inevitable ruckus.

That being said we will use our free tickets from Coaster Christmas to stop by one day this season and say an official good bye.

I wonder how long until Flooded Mine follows? It's probably in worse shape than FITH, although not as iconic.

• Like 1

Well, we all knew this was probably gonna happen and now here we are. While I am disappointed, I'm excited for FITH 2.0. I'm hopeful they reuse or kinda mimic stuff from the original ride and don't just do a screen based "tribute". That would be a huge disappointment.

I agree with teacherkim though, they should have announced or at least teased the replacement so we get less of the "They are removing all the charm!" and "Save my childhood!". Knowing theat the ride will continue at least in spirit would go along way I think.

I'm also curious to see what they do with FITH's location. I'm not necessarily buying the new train station theory, as I feel like if that what they wanted then getting rid of Flooded Mine would have been the better option. Speaking of Flooded Mine, I hope that when they are done redoing FITH that they either do a real big rufurb for FM or just put that poor ride out of its misery.

• Like 1

I like Fire in the Hole and its Dollywood cousin, but the ride is very old, and I imagine it's difficult and expensive to maintain.  I hope they replace with a nice updated version (like Knott's did with their mine train and log ride).

• Like 3

I like the ride page they've made for FITH. Tells the story of the ride, has pics of it being built!, and offers wallpapers as well as audio files of the Red Flanders dialogue and of the theme song!

Wish I had the money to get the refillable mug; my main focus with collecting SDC stuff has been mugs, so it'd go great with my collection.

• Like 1