TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Hard to come up with suggestions for kids that young, but the Aquarium and Wonderworks are probably nice. Branson Landing is pleasant too, with lots of things like the arcade, bowling alley, and other little attractions, but that's a lot of walking. The Promised Land zoo has a mix of drive through and walking zoo areas. Our big thing that's also cheap is the fish hatchery at the Table Rock Lake dam. Bring some quarters and your kids will have a good time without much effort or expense on your part. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TEDodd said:

Lots like it or they wouldn't keep doing it and adding more.

Maybe your tastes are just different.

Unfortunately, we're not able to fly for a while(medical not legal 🤣) so we had to find a close driving destination to take the kids. Tourist traps are big for a reason, so I'm sure we'll find something we like. My kids are amused by a cardboard box and chalk... I think we'll find something to entertain them! 

12 hours ago, Chiselphane said:

When are you planning to go?  I personally don't like SDC as much in high summer (with the admission I don't tolerate extreme heat very well so YMMV).    There's a good amount of stuff for kids that age to do but there's not a lot of ways to cool off, couple that with a lot of walking including some pretty substantial hills that can be daunting.  I asked Mrs Phane if she'd like walking while pregnant up Hugo's Hill Street and she had some rather impolite words for me, my goodness.

Honestly, sounds like good exercise to me. Maybe I wouldn't have to run in the morning.

10 hours ago, DJ_Sillybootz said:

Unfortunately, we're not able to fly for a while(medical not legal 🤣) so we had to find a close driving destination to take the kids. Tourist traps are big for a reason, so I'm sure we'll find something we like. My kids are amused by a cardboard box and chalk... I think we'll find something to entertain them! 

Oh I'm sure you will. A lot of country/bluegrass/gospel music. If you like that you'll have no issues.
If that's not your thing, then a bit harder.

Lots of tribute/impersonator type shows.

https://www.bransonshows.com/showByDate.cfm?month=8&day=24&year=2022&lengthOfVisit=4&sortOrder=title&x=23&y=7
(I just picked a late August date)

You didn't say how far along she will be. I know my wife at 7+ months in summer heat was miserable.
No way she'd have wanted to climb hills in a theme park.

^What he said. Anything in or near the third trimester in this heat isn't a great idea. Although I like the heat, and I like moving around, SDC really is hot in the summer. Well shaded, but there are definitely blacktop heat islands... 

I'm no OBGYN, but I recommend making sure she has a A LOT of water and regular shaded rests. I would say next year seems like a better option, but if you're like us, your park visits are going to drastically decrease for a couple years. 

• Like 2

They definitely have. We'll be in Branson and have some other family coming out who want to go to SDC, too. She's in the 2nd, but we'll definitely be taking it easy with many rest breaks. I did find out that my kids are tall enough to ride a lot more than I originally thought. My 4 year old is even tell enough to ride mystic and powder keg if he's brave enough!

I'm considering the trail blazer or whatever the fast pass is called. Is it worth it? I think we'll be visiting on the last Monday in August(before labor day). Are weekdays usually crowded? Any show recommendations?

Also, it looks like we'll be staying at the Still Waters resorts. Anyone been there and have a review?

Basically any tips are welcome!

• Like 1

For SDC I would say a couple things:

- If you think you can swing it with the little ones, I would really recommend the cave tour. It leaves from inside the Hospitality House at the top of the hill about every 30-40 minutes or so. The regular tour is included with your admission, and it's first come/first served. You can reserve a spot or upgrade to the lantern tour for a small fee. Definitely a unique and cool experience!

- The train ride and show are great! I didn't see any other show while I was there so can't be much help there.

- I went on a Sunday evening and a Monday and didn't wait more than 15 minutes for anything (and I think that wait might have been for American Plunge of all rides) You might consider Trailblazer if you want to be safe, but I'm not sure it's a 100% necessary.

- Parking is free and if you get in the closer lot it's not a bad walk to the front gate, or a very short tram ride. Otherwise you can pay for the closer parking.

Have fun! SDC is amazing!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DJ_Sillybootz said:

Also, it looks like we'll be staying at the Still Waters resorts. Anyone been there and have a review?

I've been there once! It was a decade ago, though, but very nice. We got a condo that fit our whole group of 6 adults and a child very comfortably. It was clean and well-kept. It was in the winter, though, so no chance to try out their pools and other amenities. It's so close to the park, too, that it's super super convenient. Like, coming at SDC from the south on Indian Pt Rd gives you way less traffic than coming from the north off of 76.

Oh, also, I highly recommend the Saloon Show. I don't know how it is now, but I've loved it since I started going to the park as a kid in the 90s and have always enjoyed it.

• Like 2

We stayed at Still Waters once and it was great, but overkill for us personally.  There's a lot to do on the grounds for no extra fee but we are generally the 'just need a room' type.    The biggest plus as far as SDC goes is as Tina said; being on Indian Pt road makes a huge difference getting into the park itself.   Making it even easier is that Still Waters has a shuttle service to and from the park as well but make sure you check on the times it runs, I dont know their current policy but some resorts that provide this service don't always match the park hours.

• Like 1

We're staying at a resort in Branson in the beginning of August for four days. Suggestions for local activities with a two-year-old? She's 34", so I'm hoping we can still get on a few things at SDC. Going to spend a portion of the day there, and another at the water park. 

Yeah, it seems like news on that just kind of stopped... Kind of like how no one seemed to care about the Wicked Twister area for a while, aside from your typical fanboy cries of, "It's going to be an RMC boardwalk coaster!!"

I feel like people used to post updates of every shrub being cut down. Even the Worlds of Fun crew hasn't been very giddy about finding out where the next new pathways or bathroom renovations will be.

• Like 1

The building looks pretty impressive. Here is the most recent update that was posted to reddit: 

I guess it's harder to get excited because not only is it hidden inside a building but it's also a replacement ride for a long standing favorite classic attraction. It's a tough gamble by the park because everyone will be comparing it to the old ride rather than allowing it to be a brand new experience, but I applaud them for trying and not just junking FITH for another random coaster. 

As far as updates on here goes... a lot of us who still use forums are simply too old to deal with it anymore. I used to have a lot of fun with the speculation, keeping an eye out for markers, and going to the parks sometimes just to see construction progress. These days though I just don't have the time/energy/money and would rather spend what I have on other things - even though I still enjoy aspects of amusement park fandom occasionally. The kids who are coming up into the fandom who care about that kind of stuff are all on instagram/tiktok/youtube. Forums like this one aren't as appealing because it's a different type of interaction and quite frankly can be a little insular and hostile as KBrylczyk's comment displays, lol. 

• Like 6

On 7/18/2022 at 4:13 PM, prozach626 said:

We're staying at a resort in Branson in the beginning of August for four days. Suggestions for local activities with a two-year-old? She's 34", so I'm hoping we can still get on a few things at SDC. Going to spend a portion of the day there, and another at the water park. 

I think she'd like feeding the fish at the Shepherd of the Hills fish hatchery. 9-5 but closed Sun & Mon, and need to bring your own quarters for fish food; we havent been in a few years but afaik they don't have change machines on site.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Shavethewhales2 said:

The building looks pretty impressive. Here is the most recent update that was posted to reddit: 

I guess it's harder to get excited because not only is it hidden inside a building but it's also a replacement ride for a long standing favorite classic attraction. It's a tough gamble by the park because everyone will be comparing it to the old ride rather than allowing it to be a brand new experience, but I applaud them for trying and not just junking FITH for another random coaster. 

As far as updates on here goes... a lot of us who still use forums are simply too old to deal with it anymore. I used to have a lot of fun with the speculation, keeping an eye out for markers, and going to the parks sometimes just to see construction progress. These days though I just don't have the time/energy/money and would rather spend what I have on other things - even though I still enjoy aspects of amusement park fandom occasionally. The kids who are coming up into the fandom who care about that kind of stuff are all on instagram/tiktok/youtube. Forums like this one aren't as appealing because it's a different type of interaction and quite frankly can be a little insular and hostile as KBrylczyk's comment displays, lol. 

Well, I appreciate all updates as I do not like scouring the net in a million places.  However, is the building themed on the side that inside the park?

34 minutes ago, jarmor said:

Well, I appreciate all updates as I do not like scouring the net in a million places.  However, is the building themed on the side that inside the park?

I could be wrong but if it's a FITH replacement to me the new building looks bigger than the current one. It's possible it's the same size I suppose though, but just looks bigger to me.

2 hours ago, jarmor said:

From what I've seen shared on other platforms, the building looks pretty much the same inside the park. It is also VERY visible from most of Fireman's landing. I'm hoping that they do something to dress up that side whether it be draping vines down the building like on the current FITH or a painting / mural.