TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

1 minute ago, PKI Jizzman said:

Planning on visiting the 2nd weekend in October, will they still be running their water rides? 

Stoked to finally get some night rides on their 10pm Saturday night hours!

Yes! It is the best time of year to ride without a wait. We did it most evenings we were there last fall. To help with the cooler temps, we would also bring a change of clothes for the ride home. 

31 minutes ago, PKI Jizzman said:

Planning on visiting the 2nd weekend in October, will they still be running their water rides? 

Dollywood closed there water rides a few weeks ago, a lot earlier than normal.

I think it was more people than temperature.

15 minutes ago, TEDodd said:

Well Dollywood usually keeps them open later too.

So I wouldn't count on this year being "normal"

SDC still has their water rides (minus River Blast) listed as through October 30th. It looks like DW usually closed Daredevil Falls in mid-October and River Rampage was listed as through mid-October. So not normally as late as SDC. 
If we get a good cold snap for the last half of October, I could possibly see them changing the plan. We rode Mystic River Falls multiple times last October when it was in the low 50’s. No line! 🤣

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mwg said:

SDC still has their water rides  listed as through October 30th. It looks like DW usually closed Daredevil Falls in mid-October and River Rampage was listed as through mid-October. So not normally as late as SDC. 

Yes, not as late as SDC normally, but they still closed like a month early.

Hope I'm wrong and SDC doesn't close them early.

1 hour ago, TEDodd said:

Yes, not as late as SDC normally, but they still closed like a month early.

Hope I'm wrong and SDC doesn't close them early.

It's as if you are backing rides closing like you have proof, in every post. What gives? Are you reading what others are posting? 

41 minutes ago, PKI Jizzman said:

It's as if you are backing rides closing like you have proof, in every post.

Not proof,  just speculation based on the sister park closing earlier than planned/normal.

I hope I'm wrong, for all wanting to ride them in October.

I guess looking at weather forecasts is the best bet. I'd pay attention to the low temps more than the highs. 

16 hours ago, PKI Jizzman said:

Stoked to finally get some night rides on their 10pm Saturday night hours!

We're going on the 9th and the 10th.  The water rides will be open.  I would avoid riding them shortly before dusk if possible though, it will likely get cool to chilly pretty quickly once the sun goes down. I appreciate that they run them in cooler weather though because you get low to zero lines.  We usually go early spring and riding American Plunge in March will WAKE YOU UP

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Soooo here's the general timeline for whats going on regarding that construction I posted about. Take this info with a grain of salt but its looking like nothing is sacred in the park anymore. Get your rides in while you can.

2023: FITH replacement opens, walls go up around original FITH with full demo of the structure by summer, then construction of a new and improved larger train depot to utilize the former location. Changes to the Saloon and Fry Bread area are also looking possible during this time.
2024: New train depot opens, with the old depot closed off and demo'd by summer.
2025: Possible Flooded Mine demo with a major 2026 attraction construction project to begin. (exact location and type TBD)
2026: Major 2026 attraction opens.

Here's the controversy when it comes to fans: If all this comes to pass, I will be curious to see the backlash and change in attendance numbers and how many long time fans of the park will be lost with the loss of all the classic attractions. You can definitely expect the former. My parents stopped going a while back because they saw the writing on the wall that the park is evolving away from its original theme and into another basic ride filled amusement park. I like the new additions to the park overall, but this is gonna be a tough pill to swallow if these rumors come true.

I'd be very disappointed if Herschend pulls the plug on Fire in the Hole and the Flooded Mine. I haven't been to SDC, but having been to Dollywood and ridden Blazing Fury I think I can get the unique connection thoose rides have to the charm and feel of the park. Taking them both out I think would be a gut punch.

Seems like a lot of trouble for them to go to for one big project in 2026 as well. It seems to me it be better to just bulldoze FM if that's what they really want to do rather than build a whole replacement for FITH. I hope neither goes away though, they look like really classic dark rides that people don't talk about enough.

• Like 1

They both are really great dark rides, but FITH has had a lot of audio issues lately. It kinda feels on its last legs. FM has always been mechanically difficult to maintain with the animatronics in the water, but they've really kept up quite well. I'll embrace a FITH replacement, but I don't see a good reason to replace FM at this point.

• Like 1

I'm torn because I would miss both rides but I can definitely see the reasoning, at least for FITH.    It's nearly 50 years old and while the ride system is fine (other than the audio issues(which really are disappointing especially if you are a long time fan and know what's supposed to happen and where)), I wouldn't be surprised in the least if a big problem is the building it's housed in; the 'backstage' views you get of it when walking to Outlaw Run aren't very pretty.    And FM is even older, with the addition of it being a water ride and the structural problems that that entails.   

Most of the FITH rumors have been along the lines of  'destroy then rebuild'.  FM feels more like the one that would go away and not be replaced.  And I'd miss both, whether missing the old version of FITH no matter how good a job they do on a new one, or FM in general.   But none of that would change my attendance or even overall feeling towards the park; I get there are business decisions that I am not going to be privy to, etc.   I get that people don't like change, especially if from the outside it appears to be needless change. 

It does make me wonder if SDC should give more info on why these changes would be made, or is it not worth the trouble because people would be upset either way.  To me it would make sense if they said something like "To 'fix' Fire in the Hole's show building, it would cost X dollars;  to rebuild it would cost Z dollars which includes safety improvements over the original structure, other benefits, etc etc" but to those would reflexively react to any change as negative, would putting out an explanation even matter, or even make things worse.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 10:45 AM, PKI Jizzman said:

How have things been at SDC lately? Coasters running all trains? Are fast passes necessary on a Saturday/Sunday?

I cant speak for recent attendance/operations, but I've been going to the park this time of year pretty consistently, and I've never felt the *need* for trailblazer but I don't think it would be a complete waste of money either.  Sometimes I think it'd be worth it just for Powder Keg; that line moves SLOW.   It's going to be hot in the park this weekend so Mystic Falls line is going to be nasty as well. 

1 hour ago, Chiselphane said:

I cant speak for recent attendance/operations, but I've been going to the park this time of year pretty consistently, and I've never felt the *need* for trailblazer but I don't think it would be a complete waste of money either.  Sometimes I think it'd be worth it just for Powder Keg; that line moves SLOW.   It's going to be hot in the park this weekend so Mystic Falls line is going to be nasty as well. 

SDC is essentially a once or twice a decade park for me so even skipping a 30 minute wait is nice. Queue times showed PK and TT averaging 30-40 minutes. Thanks for the advice! 

LOL, I love how so many people on FB are like, FITH is SACRED!!!!!!!!!!!! How DARE they change anything about the park. I'm never going again. This is the last straw!" , Yada, yada, yada......🤣🙄

My God. Why don't they at least wait and see for sure what they are doing before they lose their shit. We will be at ACE Coaster Christmas event in Nov. I'll see if we get any info from the powers that be.

• Like 2