TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

2 hours ago, tndank said:

Wonder if that will carry over to Dollywood. I liked the crazy Wonderful Life show they do. 

DW has had problems before. They had a license to play some songs in the park and got in trouble for performing them in a show because they didn't have a license for that.
Here's one https://www.wbir.com/article/entertainment/dollywoods-response-to-song-lawsuit-yeah-we-used-it-but-we-did-nothing-wrong/51-08f13219-2155-4279-ae11-988c92271d2e

15 hours ago, Woodie Warrior said:

So word on the street is that many longtime entertainers at the park have been recently let go, including a large chunk of the Christmas Carol cast. Apparently the park has run into copyright claim issues considering the music featured in both major Christmas shows are all songs ripped from pre-existing musicals (which I assumed the park had licensed years ago, but evidently not). It seems like Christmas Carol and It's a Wonderful Life are gone for now, which is not only a disappointing loss to the Christmas festival, but also seems like a crowd issue, considering the 1,000ish people at a show each hour will now have to find someplace else in the park to spend their time.

OOF. I've always wondered how SDC got away with using all those IP songs. They've used Disney songs, and I was super surprised that was allowed. But maybe it wasn't...? I guess their being a "smaller" park kept them under the radar for a long time.

That sucks that the entertainers were let go. Does that include Dave and Rachel Wallace? I've always been a huge fan of theirs. They've been there for so long and have done some amazing work in the productions at the park.

It's weird because they're definitely aware of the issue, for example I've had conversations with staff about the Time Traveler queue music and IP rights came up.   Could be a thing of "well we've done it for so long without a problem so let's keep doing it."    The more you think about it, the bigger problem it is for the park.  As Woodie said the shows are a huge draw for that time of year and soak up a lot of guests.   And I know it seems far away but from having worked in theater, redoing not one but multiple shows from scratch in what, 4 1/2 months?  And have them be good?  Short of a miracle, that's impossible.   Redoing the music themselves seems like it'd work but again they run into not only a time crunch but a talent and money crunch.   Bad situation for them.

I have to think that the queue music is okay...? Like, they're only using it as background music, so it's likely they bought it with that particular kind of license. The problem, as highlighted in that article about Dollywood, is using the licensed music outside of the agreed usage in the contract. So they may have made a contract to use the music as background music, but they then also performed the songs in their shows, which would require a "dramatic usage" license.

One of the shows in the Opera House at SDC used "Just Around the Riverbend" from Pocahontas, and that was what really stood out to me. I couldn't fathom the idea of Disney allowing a non-Disney park to use their music/songs.

But yeah, just about every show at SDC uses songs from other properties. Now, I think there's a difference (but I could be wrong) between "performing a song as part of a scripted/dramatized story" and "performing a song as a part of a musical showcase"; the second one would, I believe, be considered fair use because it's technically a cover? But I don't know that for sure, so even their non-scripted shows could be in danger depending on if any of them use songs/music that aren't their own.

This is really gonna hurt the park badly. Their scripted shows are their most popular - the Opera House dramas and the Saloon Show. Gonna be interesting to see what happens.

3 hours ago, tinaalsgirl said:

I have to think that the queue music is okay...? Like, they're only using it as background music, so it's likely they bought it with that particular kind of license. The problem, as highlighted in that article about Dollywood, is using the licensed music outside of the agreed usage in the contract. So they may have made a contract to use the music as background music, but they then also performed the songs in their shows, which would require a "dramatic usage" license.

One of the shows in the Opera House at SDC used "Just Around the Riverbend" from Pocahontas, and that was what really stood out to me. I couldn't fathom the idea of Disney allowing a non-Disney park to use their music/songs.

But yeah, just about every show at SDC uses songs from other properties. Now, I think there's a difference (but I could be wrong) between "performing a song as part of a scripted/dramatized story" and "performing a song as a part of a musical showcase"; the second one would, I believe, be considered fair use because it's technically a cover? But I don't know that for sure, so even their non-scripted shows could be in danger depending on if any of them use songs/music that aren't their own.

This is really gonna hurt the park badly. Their scripted shows are their most popular - the Opera House dramas and the Saloon Show. Gonna be interesting to see what happens.

Oh it is, I just meant that I've talked to a couple staff members about it about seeing if there was a way to purchase a CD of it and they don't have a license to sell it, just to play it.  They commissioned it from John Presley, of the Presley theater in Branson.   So that tells me they know what they should and shouldn't be doing with music

Ohhh. Huh. I just figured they'd bought some of the Pickin' On CDs to play.

So, if they can't sell the queue music, there's at least a really good variety of bluegrass covers through Pickin' On and The Cleverlys and The Beef Seeds and more. So if you ever wanna groove to bluegrass covers, there's plenty out there even if it isn't the exact versions in the TT queue.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 5:30 AM, ytterbiumanalyst said:

Yes. Still the same seat belts. Nothing has changed.

I feel like they shortened them. Dunno why if they did. I could always do the lap bar and the belt ok up until the past couple years. My "form" hasn't changed much since 2016 so that can be ruled out. lol But seriously I am suspecting they really did change them over the off season around 2018-2019. I have taken the "walk of shame" ever since after a few attempts. I never had that problem on a coaster, not even another RMC.

On 6/12/2021 at 4:51 PM, tinaalsgirl said:

and "performing a song as a part of a musical showcase"; the second one would, I believe, be considered fair use because it's technically a cover?

Have to have a license to perform it in public. Different licenses for different types of performance, but still a license. And every band that records a cover has to have a license a license to do so.

Oh and Disney will happily license their property for the right fee.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

*EDIT*: Mystic River Falls has reopened today.

For anyone visiting the park soon and were hoping to ride Mystic River Falls, you may be out of luck. According to some posts in a Facebook SDC Passholder Group (I’d share screenshots of the posts, but I’m not sure if that’s against forum rules), the ride experienced an incident yesterday involving a raft nearly overturning on or at the bottom of the first drop. But the exact details involving the incident aren’t clear. That may be exaggerated, but there’s no way of knowing. Though, something definitely happened as their app shows MRF as closed for the day and work walls are going up around the ride. So I imagine it’s going to be a while before it’s back in operation. This is not my photo, by the way. It was shared in the Silver Dollar City Season Ticket Holders (Not official) Facebook group. 

09682E69-2E26-44A3-9D4F-2147467DE315.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

While I do not wish to cause this thread to get too political, its worth noting from seeing this map how the Branson, MO area is essentially the epicenter of new COVID cases. It's quite unfortunate. I will be very curious to see if SDC will be forced to go back into doing health and safety restrictions in the park if this continues towards the fall/winter months.

218315706_194745385998676_3282437645414213386_n.jpg

• Sad 2

^ Just bring a mask and you'll be ok. You'll get stares. For sure you'll get stares. Like hostile glares from multiple people. I live around here and I've taken to masking again since the rise of the Delta variant (just when indoors or when there's too many people around in an outdoor area, you know, like the CDC says). Hoo boy the distrust in the eyes of people, the wariness, like they are concerned I'm going to jump them with a knife or something. It's absolutely unreal. That attitude is the cause of why this variant has taken hold in this area.

So that's what's happening. I want you to be aware of what you're walking into, but with eyes open you'll be ok. Just take care of yourself, act real friendly and be super polite, and they'll leave you alone.

God, this is how I have to talk about my neighbours now. This place has become so hateful in the last decade or so.... Trust me, it hasn't always been like this. People used to be nice here.

• Like 7

Oh, I know.  That's the plan.  I'm not thrilled about the numbers but I'm definitely not letting it keep me from going.  I've wanted to get to SDC for years, I'm not missing the chance now.  I'm healthy and not in any high risk groups, I'm vaccinated, I'll have a mask...I'll be fine, sure.  It's just...disappointing and frustrating, the whole attitude like you said.  We should be done with this crap by now, but...I don't need to derail the topic any further.

Also, a week from yesterday, not sure why I typed a day.  Flying out for 7 parks in 7 days this weekend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ytterbiumanalyst said:

I live around here and I've taken to masking again since the rise of the Delta variant

Why? Masks have always been to protect others from you. They don't keep you from getting anything.
OK so a CBRN mask with a P3 rated filter will but I doubt that's what you are wearing.

^ they do a great job of helping you from inadvertently touching your face.   So while true, Covid particles may still get thru a standard mask?  it will help keep other things out when you don't have your hands in your nose/mouth area so much due to wearing a mask.

so there really IS a benefit to wearing one.. . . I haven't had a cold or flu in well over a year, since i tend to mask up when going out into public.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rai Fox said:

Oh, I know.  That's the plan.  I'm not thrilled about the numbers but I'm definitely not letting it keep me from going.  I've wanted to get to SDC for years, I'm not missing the chance now.  I'm healthy and not in any high risk groups, I'm vaccinated, I'll have a mask...I'll be fine, sure.  It's just...disappointing and frustrating, the whole attitude like you said.  We should be done with this crap by now, but...I don't need to derail the topic any further.

Also, a week from yesterday, not sure why I typed a day.  Flying out for 7 parks in 7 days this weekend.

Yeah, I totally get it man. Wish you could visit under better circumstances, but SDC is pretty great even if things aren't ideal. Have fun!

44 minutes ago, bert425 said:

^ they do a great job of helping you from inadvertently touching your face.

I found the opposite. I was constantly reaching to rub/scratch an itch where the mask touches my skin.
Not to mention not being able to see as the masks tend to fog my glasses. So then I'm adjusting the mask again to try an prevent that. Works for a bit then it all shifts again and start over.

Have the same issues with CPAP masks. Certain styles I just can't wear effectively.

Only respirators (like used in a paint booth) or CBRN type masks, properly fitted were ever comfortable enough to wear for more than 10-15 minutes without constantly adjusting.

4 hours ago, ytterbiumanalyst said:

^ Just bring a mask and you'll be ok. You'll get stares. For sure you'll get stares. Like hostile glares from multiple people. I live around here and I've taken to masking again since the rise of the Delta variant (just when indoors or when there's too many people around in an outdoor area, you know, like the CDC says). Hoo boy the distrust in the eyes of people, the wariness, like they are concerned I'm going to jump them with a knife or something. It's absolutely unreal. That attitude is the cause of why this variant has taken hold in this area.

So that's what's happening. I want you to be aware of what you're walking into, but with eyes open you'll be ok. Just take care of yourself, act real friendly and be super polite, and they'll leave you alone.

God, this is how I have to talk about my neighbours now. This place has become so hateful in the last decade or so.... Trust me, it hasn't always been like this. People used to be nice here.

Sucks doesn't it. Not living right in your neck of the woods but having been there a number of times through my growing up years I have seen the change. The area was always religious and conservative but we were there right after the 2016 election and people had put up all sorts of billboards rejoicing that HC had lost the election and the vitriol in these completely unnecessary "ads" was unbelievable. That's when I knew things had really taken a vicious turn.

BUT nobody should be deterred from visiting, SDC is a really great park and the employees will go out of their way to be helpful.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Rai Fox said:

When you are there make sure to go through Marvel Cave, it's free and the entrance is in the big gift shop that you walk through at the start of the park. It is the whole reason the park exists and is really a cool cave.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, teacherkim said:

When you are there make sure to go through Marvel Cave, it's free and the entrance is in the big gift shop that you walk through at the start of the park. It is the whole reason the park exists and is really a cool cave.

Definitely going to do that, thanks!

I haven't done it, but it looks really cool. I've just done the cave tour hundreds of times so I don't want to pay the upcharge. 😆 It sells out quickly, so when you first get there go immediately to the cave desk in the Hospitality House (you'll literally walk through it between the turnstiles and the square).

Trailblazer Pass is generally worth it if the weather is good. Current forecast is for thunderstorms on Sunday but clear on Monday. If that holds, then get TB pass. Around here, though, weather can be quite variable, and I've seen storms get pushed back a day as they develop more slowly than the models would predict. So there's a decent chance that it might rain on Monday instead. Don't pre-purchase, wait and see what the weather does and buy day of if it's sunny.

• Thanks 1