TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

4 hours ago, coastercrazy216 said:

So with everything happening to Lightning Rod, how is Outlaw Run doing? Is it tracking well? Any issues with it? I rode it the first and second year of operation and thought it was absolutely amazing, but I wasn't sure if it had started to show its age? 

I've heard some coaster YouTubers call it rough, but honest to god I don't think it is very rough. I mean you can tell that it is a wooden coaster, but it definitely feels smoother than many GCI's and most CCI's. I think people have been calling it rough just since it nearly felt like a steel coaster in 2013 and now it is actually starting to feel like a wood coaster. I've heard some Youtubers describe the same situation with El Toro. 

16 hours ago, coastercrazy216 said:

So with everything happening to Lightning Rod, how is Outlaw Run doing? Is it tracking well? Any issues with it? I rode it the first and second year of operation and thought it was absolutely amazing, but I wasn't sure if it had started to show its age? 

I rode it over 100 times in 2020.  It rode just like it did in 2018.  If you ride on a wheel seat, you feel a few bumps, but it's still smoother than most wood coasters out there.  It's on par with El Toro.

My sample size is smaller with about 6 rides over 2 days in 2020, but I would say relative to how it used to run, it's quite rough. My two friends who had never ridden a topper track RMC (only I-Box) were surprised at how bumpy it was in the back row. And no, I'm not confusing roughness with intensity. There are many noticeable potholes, shuffling, and a few jackhammer-ish spots. It's aging considerably differently than the I-Box coasters.

With that being said, it's probably still the 2nd best night ride anywhere.

• Like 1

I know some disagree but IMO its aging about the same as a traditional wood coaster and I bet it has to do with the crazy high stress elements it has. If Dollywood's Lightning Rod becoming partial I-Box is a success, I expect SDC to follow suit with retracking Outlaw for the same reason.

12 hours ago, sdcfan88 said:

I know some disagree but IMO its aging about the same as a traditional wood coaster and I bet it has to do with the crazy high stress elements it has. If Dollywood's Lightning Rod becoming partial I-Box is a success, I expect SDC to follow suit with retracking Outlaw for the same reason.

Maybe.....because Dollywood and RMC came to an agreement that RMC would pay for the I-Box due to their mishap of engineering, which caused significant downtime.  I'm not sure the Herschend Family Entertainment would want to dump money into Outlaw Run when it's not even 10 years old, yet.  I doubt RMC would agree to shelling out for that, either.  But, maybe they came to an agreement on both?  

Here's the thing with Outlaw Run that Lightning Rod isn't lucky enough to have. Outlaw Run's track issues aren't preventing it from running. It's incredibly reliable and doesn't seem to experience many extended periods of downtime. Sure, it has potholes and isn't perfectly smooth, but it isn't literally broken like lightning rod. So what would happen if they poured the money into giving the ride I-box track? A few enthusiasts might think of the ride slightly better? Most of SDC's guests would still find the ride to be too aggressive for their likings, so there wouldn't be an improvement in ridership numbers. It wouldn't improve the ride's reliability since it's operating smoothly most of the time. There wouldn't be anything to make that expense worthwhile in HFE's eyes. It seems as of late that whatever they invest in must have some sort of ROI or improve ridership somehow. Converting Outlaw Run likely wouldn't do either of those things. It's also worth mentioning that if the park won't even attempt to fix the two massive jolts in Thunderation's tunnel that arose a few years ago, then they likely won't be interested in extensively retracking Outlaw Run because it's slightly rough in spots.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jaykethekid said:

Here's the thing with Outlaw Run that Lightning Rod isn't lucky enough to have. Outlaw Run's track issues aren't preventing it from running. It's incredibly reliable and doesn't seem to experience many extended periods of downtime. Sure, it has potholes and isn't perfectly smooth, but it isn't literally broken like lightning rod. So what would happen if they poured the money into giving the ride I-box track? A few enthusiasts might think of the ride slightly better? Most of SDC's guests would still find the ride to be too aggressive for their likings, so there wouldn't be an improvement in ridership numbers. It wouldn't improve the ride's reliability since it's operating smoothly most of the time. There wouldn't be anything to make that expense worthwhile in HFE's eyes. It seems as of late that whatever they invest in must have some sort of ROI or improve ridership somehow. Converting Outlaw Run likely wouldn't do either of those things. It's also worth mentioning that if the park won't even attempt to fix the two massive jolts in Thunderation's tunnel that arose a few years ago, then they likely won't be interested in extensively retracking Outlaw Run because it's slightly rough in spots.

Yea, exactly what I was saying.  

11 hours ago, Jaykethekid said:

Converting Outlaw Run likely wouldn't do either of those things. It's also worth mentioning that if the park won't even attempt to fix the two massive jolts in Thunderation's tunnel that arose a few years ago, then they likely won't be interested in extensively retracking Outlaw Run because it's slightly rough in spots.

Actually they have been taking some steps to address that issue with TNT. They are also redoing several other support areas around TNT where the construction of Time Traveler was done.

5EE0AA1B-F665-477D-93F8-124A69A764D0.jpeg

Also if Outlaw did get a "retrack" I'm sure it wont be anywhere near the alleged 57% of the coaster as whats being reported with Lightning Rod. Think more around 20% at most.

• Like 5

Silver Dollar City has sent us a press release announcing a ten year sponsorship with Arvest Bank.

Silver Dollar City and Arvest Bank announced today a 10-year, multi-tiered collaboration in which Arvest Bank becomes the “Official Sponsor of Family Fun” at Silver Dollar City Attractions, including the theme park, White Water water park, the Showboat Branson Belle and the Silver Dollar City Campground. Arvest Bank is also the presenting sponsor of Silver Dollar City’s Star-Spangled Summer and Echo Hollow amphitheater, with a season of concerts.

“We are very excited to begin this strategic collaboration with Arvest Bank,” said Brad Thomas, president of Silver Dollar City Attractions. “Arvest’s commitment to their communities, along with their reputation for delivering great customer service aligns well with our brand and our culture. Our guests are our top priority, and we know that Arvest’s customers are their top priority as well.” 

“Silver Dollar City offers a unique atmosphere and experience that can’t be found at any other theme park in America,” said Jason Kincy, senior vice president and marketing director for Arvest Bank. “We are looking forward to working with this talented team and doing our part in making their guests’ visit fun and memorable. Additionally, we have worked with Silver Dollar City to obtain various savings on ticket purchases as an added benefit for our customers.”

Arvest Bank customers who use their Arvest debit or credit card when purchasing one-day tickets on-site to Silver Dollar City, White Water or the Showboat Branson Belle will enjoy $7 savings off of each one-day regular admission ticket during the entire 2021 season, with a limit of six tickets per day.  

As part of the Star-Spangled Summer, Arvest Bank customers who purchase a regular admission, one-day ticket at Silver Dollar City with their debit or credit card in June will enjoy savings of $10 per ticket on up to six tickets per day. Savings for Arvest Bank customers will be announced prior to the season annually.

Silver Dollar City recently announced a full slate of new events and longtime favorites for the 2021 season, continuing the 60th Anniversary Diamond Jubilee of the famed Branson, Missouri theme park that opens March 17 for the 2021 season. 

Arvest is based in Northwest Arkansas and was started by a Walton of Walmart fame. It is a huge regional bank around here flush with capital and big time backing. 

This brings me to NWA and Silver Dollar City. Northwest Arkansas is on track to nearly double in size by 2045. That means around 1 million in population.  Nice to have one of the fastest growing  and  increasingly affluent regions in the country in your back yard so to speak. Springfield is also growing but it is not the juggernaut that NWA has become.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ElvisLuv said:

Arvest is based in Northwest Arkansas and was started by a Walton of Walmart fame. It is a huge regional bank around here flush with capital and big time backing. 

This brings me to NWA and Silver Dollar City. Northwest Arkansas is on track to nearly double in size by 2045. That means around 1 million in population.  Nice to have one of the fastest growing  and  increasingly affluent regions in the country in your back yard so to speak. Springfield is also growing but it is not the juggernaut that NWA has become.

^As a traffic engineer who has recently worked on multiple projects in Northwest Arkansas, I can attest to the insane (and generally higher income) population growth in the area. The growth rates for traffic projections are some of the highest in the country there! Walmart is building a whole new campus in Bentonville similar to what Amazon, Apple, and Google have (look it up, there is info online about it).

Arvest Bank pops up frequently in sponsorships and advertisements around Kansas City, so I am not surprised to hear they have the smart business backing that comes with the Walmart family. I haven't been to SDC in a number of years, but they have made some incredible investments that make me really want to go back! Glad to hear TNT is getting love, I knew nothing about that ride when I first rode and it and knocked my socks off!

On 3/17/2021 at 11:22 PM, ytterbiumanalyst said:

I still find it amusing that y'all in Walmarton have a hard on for taking Springfield down a notch. 😆

It's a new sponsorship, cool. They've had Humana as a sponsor for a few years now, so whatever, somebody else will be on the banners now.

It is what it is, lol

https://nwacouncil.org/2019/11/22/benton-county-wages-grow-163-labor-bureau-reports/

All good news for SDC.

"[T]he Benton County wage increase can be tied to a surge in professional services jobs that include engineers, lawyers and some technology-related occupations. Those jobs tend to be high-paying positions."

Yeah, your average Arkansawyer isn't seeing any of that money. As always, when you look under the surface, a few people benefit and everyone else gets the scraps.

So sure, SDC might see a few passholders among those professionals, but wouldn't it be better if wages were increased for the vast majority of Missourians and Arkansawyers so that a greater number of people could afford to go to the park? A rising tide lifts the boats, sure, but it doesn't do a whole lot for the people who are clinging to driftwood.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ytterbiumanalyst said:

"[T]he Benton County wage increase can be tied to a surge in professional services jobs that include engineers, lawyers and some technology-related occupations. Those jobs tend to be high-paying positions."

Yeah, your average Arkansawyer isn't seeing any of that money. As always, when you look under the surface, a few people benefit and everyone else gets the scraps.

So sure, SDC might see a few passholders among those professionals, but wouldn't it be better if wages were increased for the vast majority of Missourians and Arkansawyers so that a greater number of people could afford to go to the park? A rising tide lifts the boats, sure, but it doesn't do a whole lot for the people who are clinging to driftwood.

The amount of construction and housing starts in this area has electricians and plumbers pulling down high 100K wages. NWA is seeing all kinds of  service and professional career growth. This area will likely be gaining two full fledged Med Schools in 10 years. One will be a private one founded and funded  by Alice Walton and UAMS is moving toward a full fledged center like Little Rock. 

It should be noted that Arvest was Alice's brother Rob's creation.

This is good news as well. Looks like XNA is in Jet Blue's Founder's crosshairs for his new Breeze Airline. Which could help folk travel to SDC a bit cheaper.

Screenshot_20210319-080810_Drive.jpg

Yes, the area is good to a few people, and that's the hallmark of the growth around there. You pointed out the rise in average wages, but I would submit that the average wages are not telling the whole story. A few exceptional blue collar jobs that can match the exceptional white collar jobs don't really help to tell the whole story here. For that, we need to look at the median income in addition to the average income.

Arkansas is second to last in median income, behind only Mississippi.1 A rise in average income without a corresponding rise in median income means a small number of people are making substantially more than the vast majority. A population base who are all making near minimum wage is not the base you want for a theme park. You need a strong middle class with disposable income for that. Walmarton isn't creating a strong middle class; they're elevating wages for upper middle earners while leaving working class wages stagnant.

As to your other point about the airline, in theory that's what will likely benefit the park more. Branson has always depended on out of state tourists, and that seems unlikely to change anytime soon. I wish them luck, but I've seen several ultra low cost carriers come and go from BKG and SGF, so count me skeptical that one flying out of XNA will be more successful.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ytterbiumanalyst said:

You don't see how the economics of the local area around a theme park affects that theme park? Ok.

It had gone a little beyond that, but Ok.

---------------------

Anyway, I don't believe Outlaw Run has gotten rough, aside from a pothole on the first drop that I experienced from opening year. That's kept it from making my list as a preferred back seat ride.

I also hope the tree clearing doesn't expose the not so aesthetically pleasing maintenance area. Hopefully Herschend doesn't continue to plow through trees. Historically, they've walked the fine line between new attractions and retaining the old school charm, which differentiates the park from corporate parks.

I feel like I'm getting old just by saying that.

• Like 1

Got an e-mail from SDC today about them now having a Gold Pass. It's got some very tantalizing benefits.

• Unlimited Visits To Silver Dollar City
  • Unlimited Visits To White Water

• FIRST TIME EVER: 1 BONUS Free Any Date Bring-A-Friend Ticket To Silver Dollar City
  • One 2021 Refill Mug Good For Reduced Price Drinks
  • FIRST TIME EVER: 20% Off Full-Price Food & Beverage
  • 50% Off 1 Full-Price Ticket Per Day At Silver Dollar City or White Water 
  • 25% Off Silver Dollar City Preferred Parking Pass (Limited Qty. Available)
  • 25% Off Premium On-Park Experiences at Silver Dollar City & White Water
  • $30 +tax Showboat Branson Belle Cruise, Meal & Show Tickets

https://www.silverdollarcity.com/Tickets/Season-Passes/Gold-Pass

Edited by tinaalsgirl
accidentally hit a shortcut key or something and it posted before I was finished
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ytterbiumanalyst said:

Yes, the area is good to a few people, and that's the hallmark of the growth around there. You pointed out the rise in average wages, but I would submit that the average wages are not telling the whole story. A few exceptional blue collar jobs that can match the exceptional white collar jobs don't really help to tell the whole story here. For that, we need to look at the median income in addition to the average income.

Arkansas is second to last in median income, behind only Mississippi.1 A rise in average income without a corresponding rise in median income means a small number of people are making substantially more than the vast majority. A population base who are all making near minimum wage is not the base you want for a theme park. You need a strong middle class with disposable income for that. Walmarton isn't creating a strong middle class; they're elevating wages for upper middle earners while leaving working class wages stagnant.

As to your other point about the airline, in theory that's what will likely benefit the park more. Branson has always depended on out of state tourists, and that seems unlikely to change anytime soon. I wish them luck, but I've seen several ultra low cost carriers come and go from BKG and SGF, so count me skeptical that one flying out of XNA will be more successful.

XNA was the Secind fastest growing airport in the US in 2019, pre covid clocking in at 17% year over year and was clocking 20% over that the first two months of 2020 before Covid. It is double the size of Springfield in terms of passengers. Not knocking Springfield I wish we had their amount of Allegaint destinations as well.  I would not be shocked by this time next year Allegiant is flying to Knoxville from one or both of them. That would basically connect SDC and Dollywood for passholders. SDC might explore a better package outside of the 50% discount.

Springfield put in a grant to help start AA service to DC, Philly and/or Miami. NWA gets DC and Miami back in April via AA. 

16 hours ago, ytterbiumanalyst said:

....A rising tide lifts the boats, sure, but it doesn't do a whole lot for the people who are clinging to driftwood....

Sure it does. The people clinging to the driftwood rise up just like the boats.