TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

So with three hour waits for Time Traveler is it safe to assume Outlaw Run will be a walk-on???

Don't get me wrong, I expect TT will be an excellent ride that I'll want to ride again, but if I can marathon Outlaw Run all day this week I'll be in heaven.

I haven't been on Outlaw Run yet, but I have hopes that it'll be the first ride since 2014 that'll be able to contest with my current #1, El Toro. El Toro is just so far above the rest that I haven't yet been able to find any ride that can even compete with it, which leaves me a bit disappointed. I've been spoiled since riding it.

NTaG is my only RMC so far, and it's a very good ride, but still not quite El Toro intense. I have hopes Outlaw Run will be different. Thoughts?

I rode Outlaw Run for the first time last week and could easily see it edging out Toro for lots of people. I still think I like Toro a bit better, though.

Also, don't underestimate TT. I was honestly torn between waiting for it and getting more rides on Outlaw Run a few times. When Outlaw closed for issues the second day I was there, it made my decision easier. I'm not going to try and compare them by any means, but I was just blown away by TT in a way that I haven't since riding X2 for the first time years ago. I guess I have a thing for sideways inversions and moving from forward to backward-facing in the same ride.

I don't know how accurate the app is, but it listed TT up to three hours several times. Luckily, close to closing it was more like 30-60 minutes. Everything got long lines on the Friday of spring break. Outlaw was listed as an hour on one occasion. However, I got to ride it once and then this happened.

IMG_8250.thumb.jpg.2c7322e786cd270aab6834b2f77cb927.jpg

Too bad I couldn't use it for TT...

I don't think I've ever been evacuated from a brake run before, but I got to on Outlaw! I just narrowly made it onto the ride, skipping ahead only because I saw another single rider in the back that the grouper had missed. Didn't see Outlaw go back up the rest of the day.

Powder Keg went down, so I ended up using the pass for Thunderation, which listed as a 30-45 minute wait. That ride surprised me a lot, and I think it might edge out Adventure Express as my favorite non-Disney mine train!

IMG_8191.thumb.jpg.be1133cf30035029dff1f815d76bdf96.jpg

Die-hard SFStL fan: "It's actually better than Pandemonium." No sh*&!

IMG_8194.thumb.jpg.675a7dde223a015ac2dec75e4d425645.jpg

4 times, to be exact

IMG_8268.thumb.jpg.54fc5474e8c1c3b8203750a5e1c456b5.jpg

It's tough to get good pictures of this ride, but it's still fun to watch it drop!

Glad you guys had a good time. I haven't heard one bad review about Time Traveler. It seems like the last several roller coasters added by Herschend have been incredibly well received across the board.

I'm just curious, but what is the flip side of that

"I rode the revolutionary...." sign say? The "rode" part of it?

Glad you enjoyed yourself and shared it here.

Spring break for Southwestern Missouri is over, isn't it? I'm going this Thursday/Friday.

Not sure about SW, but SE is this week, albeit probably a bit shortened for most due to some ice days. I don't think it has much if any impact on attendance though, but FYI just in case.

You can flip over the "rode" part and it says "didn't ride." Although, I'm not sure who would want to take a picture advertising to their friends that they didn't ride the "revolutionary Time Traveler!"

Ok thanks! What about on the other roller coasters, particularly Outlaw Run, Wildfire, and Powder Keg?

Outlaw Run in rows 1 or 11. Don't ride the very back row, go one forward from it for best hangtime in the barrel rolls. Wildfire back row right side for the best rip through the corkscrew. Powder Keg front or back, they're different but both great.

Spring Break is over for the largest districts, but some small schools have it this week.

Rawkin, glad you liked Thunderation. I agree that it's the best non-Disney mine train. Outlaw Run just edges out El Toro for me, but Voyage at Holiday World and Phoenix and Twister at Knoebels...I'd take any of those really. They're all absolutely incredible.

You can flip over the "rode" part and it says "didn't ride." Although, I'm not sure who would want to take a picture advertising to their friends that they didn't ride the "revolutionary Time Traveler!"

funny you post this. The group of 2 families that I went with last week was slit in half between riders and non-riders. So it was fun to take two pics of the groups at that sign and send out on social media.

Edited by humphreyhawk

Ok thanks! What about on the other roller coasters, particularly Outlaw Run, Wildfire, and Powder Keg?

My general advice for SDC is to go to Powder Keg at rope drop....or Outlaw run...both at the back of the park. PK has the slowest operations/capacity and can get backed up even on slower days. Time Traveler kind of messes up that strategy if ya want to steal a quick ride on that first.

PowderKeg - is a good ride on all cars - airtime is more forceful in the back as you get pushed and pulled over the first hill - the front is an amazing view and extremely fun to get push over that first hill.

Wildfire - imo - very underrated B&M with a great first drop. Seats are mostly the same. capacity is high and usually is a short wait even with a line as long as 2 trains are going.

Outlaw Run - Back car is INTENSE - but the whole train just flies through the course. A short and fast rush of adrenaline of a ride.

Thunderation - pick a non-wheel seat - it's not very rough but does help a bit with smoothness. Usually is a walk on but is getting more riders this year with TT next door.

TT - Remember this is a family ride....the forces are not designed to be intense....wait till you see how slow it goes through the large loop. Super fun ride full of unique sights and feelings due to the slow spin.

Don't pass on the SDC homemade classics Fire in the Hole and Flooded Mine - they don't make rides like them anymore. Find the Mill right behind the downtown area and grab a Cinnamon Bread!!!

Outlaw Run in rows 1 or 11. Don't ride the very back row, go one forward from it for best hangtime in the barrel rolls. Wildfire back row right side for the best rip through the corkscrew. Powder Keg front or back, they're different but both great.

My general advice for SDC is to go to Powder Keg at rope drop....or Outlaw run...both at the back of the park. PK has the slowest operations/capacity and can get backed up even on slower days. Time Traveler kind of messes up that strategy if ya want to steal a quick ride on that first.

PowderKeg - is a good ride on all cars - airtime is more forceful in the back as you get pushed and pulled over the first hill - the front is an amazing view and extremely fun to get push over that first hill.

Wildfire - imo - very underrated B&M with a great first drop. Seats are mostly the same. capacity is high and usually is a short wait even with a line as long as 2 trains are going.

Outlaw Run - Back car is INTENSE - but the whole train just flies through the course. A short and fast rush of adrenaline of a ride.

Thunderation - pick a non-wheel seat - it's not very rough but does help a bit with smoothness. Usually is a walk on but is getting more riders this year with TT next door.

TT - Remember this is a family ride....the forces are not designed to be intense....wait till you see how slow it goes through the large loop. Super fun ride full of unique sights and feelings due to the slow spin.

Don't pass on the SDC homemade classics Fire in the Hole and Flooded Mine - they don't make rides like them anymore. Find the Mill right behind the downtown area and grab a Cinnamon Bread!!!

Thanks! I was planning on trying front and back (2nd to back on Outlaw Run) anyway. I was wondering if the merge points for Trailblazer are before where I can pick seats. I'm not as interested in the Trailblazer if it funnels me to the middle rows like some parks.

I plan to hit anything unique at the park- Marvel Cave, Flooded Mine, skillets, etc in addition to the coasters. I will be skipping the Cinnamon Bread though. Not a fan of sugar.

Thanks! I was planning on trying front and back (2nd to back on Outlaw Run) anyway. I was wondering if the merge points for Trailblazer are before where I can pick seats. I'm not as interested in the Trailblazer if it funnels me to the middle rows like some parks.

I plan to hit anything unique at the park- Marvel Cave, Flooded Mine, skillets, etc in addition to the coasters. I will be skipping the Cinnamon Bread though. Not a fan of sugar.

Outlaw Run, Time Traveler, and Fire in The Hole's trailblazer line merges into the station, so you can choose where to sit. Even if they are doing assigned seating, they will accommodate your request most of the time. Thunderation and Powder Keg will either get you straight onto the train or merge into the station, it just depends on the standby line or the amount of trailblzers.

This is definitely my kind of day at the park.

3BAE93C8-4064-454E-B9E6-3F4962F4B8B4.thumb.jpeg.2264fbc68dcda37f2c14aa944ff84b02.jpeg

The only person in this photo happens to be my brother.

I also happened to run into Marcus Leeshock in the first 5 mins in the park. I figured he would’ve been long gone from Branson by now or atleast doing other things in the area besides SDC but low and behold was still at the park today. What a suprise

Edited by RollerManic

Well. I just got home from Silver Dollar City. I meant to go yesterday, but I was throwing up all morning. Anywho, I got into the park right at rope drop and ran right to Time Traveler. Everybody else went right to Time Traveler. By the time I got there, there was already an hour long line. I thought it was going to be longer due to the fact that the line was out past the sign, but as soon as you get into the building, you realize the wait won't be that long. The main problem is the photo booth. As soon as get through the photo booth, there is no line until the second floor. And they were having everybody take a picture. I thought you would only get your picture taken if you actually bought it before you got in line, but they pull everybody aside. I almost wish that there was a separate shop or something off of the exit where you could get your picture taken. The line moved really slowly for Time Traveler since they were only running two trains. I thought they would have used all trains today since most of the schools are out for Good Friday and it is the first nice day in a week. I loved the station for Time Traveler. I loved the spinning gears and the lights.

So, I was assigned to the second car. I wish I was assigned to the back so I could get pulled over the drop. But it was fun up there because you hang over the drop a bit before going down. I went down the drop sideways and then I went through the dive loop backwards. I launched backwards and then my car actually started spinning kind of quickly through the next portion of the ride. I ended up going through the second launch sideways and I remained sideways for the rest of the ride.

I loved it. It was SO FUN! It is no doubt my favorite ride in the park now. So, I don't usually like going backwards on rides, but I thought it felt fine on this ride. There's just no other way to describe it other than fun! I really do hope more parks get rides like this. It was just so incredible! It seems like people always complain about that pause before the first launch, I'm glad it is there. It seems like the vehicles start spinning more after they come to a stop and it is fun. My one complaint with this ride would probably be the queue line. It just seems so odd and out of place walking down the hill and then climbing back up to the top, then having to cross a bridge to exit. But otherwise, what a spectacular ride!

Since this seems to be the thread for other area tourism news as well, there's some exciting renovations to the Tan-Tar-A Resort!

A New State of Mind at Tan-Tar-A Resort

Renovations will touch all facets of the property, incorporating Margaritaville's signature 'casual-luxe' design elements. The property will be upgraded with elements of Margaritaville - both aesthetically and in terms of culture - while keeping the family friendly atmosphere our guests have come to expect and love. Guests can anticipate updated food and beverage concepts and Margaritaville's iconic design elements incorporated throughout the property.

With all the great changes we have in store, many things will stay the same. Management and staff at the resort will remain the same. Our dedicated staff will continue to provide excellent customer service, ensuring all of our guests are well cared for during their stay. Continued commitment to the success of our groups will remain vital with our professional team, all working together to make every guest's experiences memorable.

Tan-Tar-A's management company will remain Driftwood Hospitality Management, the same company that has managed us since 2012. Driftwood Acquisitions and Development recently acquired Tan-Tar-A Resort. DAD, a privately held investment firm specializing in the acquisition and development of hotel assets, is a division of Driftwood Hospitality Management.

Tan-Tar-A's name will stay the same until the Spring of 2019. At that time, The resort's new name will be "Tan-Tar-A, a Margaritaville Resort", said the resort's longtime general manager Fred Dehner. "All of the associates at Tan-Tar-A are enthused about the changes and look forward to the new look that will be offered to our customers."

We are currently working with the design team on new concepts for the resort guest rooms and food and beverage outlets. A complete timeline of all renovations is not available yet, but work will begin at the conclusion of the 2017 summer season.

We will continue to update you with tantalizing news and photos of our journey to Margaritaville.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact us directly.

Tan-Tar-A Resort Sales Team

sales@tan-tar-a.com

573-348-8550

Yeah I am really not a fan of the mandatory photo booth right in the queue line. Hoping they redo it sooner than later. Or at least make it optional to help with flow.

It is optional....but most of us mid-westerners are too polite to not take the picture...lol. I too hope it goes away....I'm guessing it might take a season or two before it's gone. Saw I lot of people with those pics running around the park.

Yeah I am really not a fan of the mandatory photo booth right in the queue line. Hoping they redo it sooner than later. Or at least make it optional to help with flow.

It is optional....but most of us mid-westerners are too polite to not take the picture...lol. I too hope it goes away....I'm guessing it might take a season or two before it's gone. Saw I lot of people with those pics running around the park.

I don't think it is a too polite thing. I think most of them think it is mandatory. The attendants don't ask "would you like to take a picture?" They instead ask "how many?" Then they direct you where to stand.

I don't think it is a too polite thing. I think most of them think it is mandatory. The attendants don't ask "would you like to take a picture?" They instead ask "how many?" Then they direct you where to stand.

Universal does the same thing at Gringotts, the photo op has the appearance of something mandatory but a firm-yet-polite "No thank you" will suffice. And it does play havoc with the lines to a degree there as well. SDC has done that on a couple of the cave tours I've taken, now that I think on it; sometimes they'll have a photo op at the bottom of the big cave and present it as something you should do rather than could do.

Since this seems to be the thread for other area tourism news as well, there's some exciting renovations to the Tan-Tar-A Resort!

A New State of Mind at Tan-Tar-A Resort

Renovations will touch all facets of the property, incorporating Margaritaville's signature 'casual-luxe' design elements. The property will be upgraded with elements of Margaritaville - both aesthetically and in terms of culture - while keeping the family friendly atmosphere our guests have come to expect and love. Guests can anticipate updated food and beverage concepts and Margaritaville's iconic design elements incorporated throughout the property.

With all the great changes we have in store, many things will stay the same. Management and staff at the resort will remain the same. Our dedicated staff will continue to provide excellent customer service, ensuring all of our guests are well cared for during their stay. Continued commitment to the success of our groups will remain vital with our professional team, all working together to make every guest's experiences memorable.

Tan-Tar-A's management company will remain Driftwood Hospitality Management, the same company that has managed us since 2012. Driftwood Acquisitions and Development recently acquired Tan-Tar-A Resort. DAD, a privately held investment firm specializing in the acquisition and development of hotel assets, is a division of Driftwood Hospitality Management.

Tan-Tar-A's name will stay the same until the Spring of 2019. At that time, The resort's new name will be "Tan-Tar-A, a Margaritaville Resort", said the resort's longtime general manager Fred Dehner. "All of the associates at Tan-Tar-A are enthused about the changes and look forward to the new look that will be offered to our customers."

We are currently working with the design team on new concepts for the resort guest rooms and food and beverage outlets. A complete timeline of all renovations is not available yet, but work will begin at the conclusion of the 2017 summer season.

We will continue to update you with tantalizing news and photos of our journey to Margaritaville.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact us directly.

Tan-Tar-A Resort Sales Team

sales@tan-tar-a.com

573-348-8550

Yeah, if it was on Table Rock or Bull Shoals and not Lake of the Ozarks., but I guess it's just a morning's drive away.

I know they don't ask you to take they picture....which is exactly my point that most mid-westerners will just follow directions and take the pic instead of being 'rude' by saying "I'm not interested". I'm guessing after a couple of re-rides a few 'bold' people we start saying "I've already got one" (even if it's a lie) to skip it....then the trend will very slowly grow as everyone starts seeing the regulars skip it.

btw...this politeness is why I can't leave my wife alone with any good salesperson and why she thinks I'm a jerk when I'm negotiating