TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Looking forward to hearing how Time Traveler is once it opens.

We are now seriously thinking about planning a trip to Branson in the mid to late April time-frame, so sure hope that it might be open by then.

I'll be looking to Andrew and some of the other locals to tell us the must do's in the surrounding area. We are also going to Lincoln's tomb in Springfield, Ill and cutting down into MO.

Doubt we would do SFGaM, but I have thought about a potential stop at SFSL as we have never been. It really depends on how Michael is feeling whether we entertain hitting up more parks other than SDC, which is a must.

There's a lot of cool stuff around here these days. The Branson Ferris Wheel (former Navy Pier Ferris Wheel) gives great views of the mountains, and there's a ton of cool mini golf places along 76. Ripleys Believe It or Not and Titanic are worthwhile museums, and downtown Branson has the Landing outdoor mall with good chain restaurants like Laredo and an excursion train that goes into Arkansas and give views only accessible by rail.

Wilson's Creek National Battlefield is one of the few Civil War battlefields west of the Mississippi, and is historically significant as the site of Gen. Nathaniel Lyon's death.

Downtown Springfield is about the only nightlife area in the Ozarks. I love Harbell's on Park Central West for wings and Civil Kitchen on Park Central East for chicken and waffles. Both great beer selections.

Speaking of which, we have 3 breweries in Springfield, Springfield Brewing Co. at Market & McDaniel is the oldest. Try the Greene Ghost (with an e for Greene County).

Mother's at Grant & Walnut is great, with a variety of beers and a big lot called the Backyard that's open on Saturdays when the weather is good. Hanging out and chatting with new friends, horseshoes, sometimes live music. It's probably the most fun of the three. Try the Loopty Loop there--yep, a roller coaster themed beer!

The newest one is White River on Commercial Street, or "C-Street" as we call it here. It's a second downtown north of the actual downtown. It used to be a town called North Springfield that was incorporated decades ago. Cool vibe on that street. White River does not serve beer, but you can find it at many of C-Street's restaurants. I love Cusco, a Peruvian restaurant at Commercial & Robberson. Their specialty is rabbit in peanut sauce. As for White River, try the Table Rock Red.

Edited by ytterbiumanalyst

We are now seriously thinking about planning a trip to Branson in the mid to late April time-frame, so sure hope that it might be open by then.

I'll be looking to Andrew and some of the other locals to tell us the must do's in the surrounding area. We are also going to Lincoln's tomb in Springfield, Ill and cutting down into MO.

Doubt we would do SFGaM, but I have thought about a potential stop at SFSL as we have never been. It really depends on how Michael is feeling whether we entertain hitting up more parks other than SDC, which is a must.

There's a lot of cool stuff around here these days. The Branson Ferris Wheel (former Navy Pier Ferris Wheel) gives great views of the mountains, and there's a ton of cool mini golf places along 76. Ripleys Believe It or Not and Titanic are worthwhile museums, and downtown Branson has the Landing outdoor mall with good restaurants and an excursion train that goes into Arkansas and give views only accessible by rail.

Wilson's Creek National Battlefield is one of the few Civil War battlefields west of the Mississippi, and is historically significant as he site of Gen. Nathaniel Lyon's death.

Downtown Springfield is about the only nightlife area in the Ozarks. I love Harbell's on Park Central West for wings and Civil Kitchen on Park Central East for chicken and waffles. Both great beer selections.

Speaking of which, we have 3 breweries in Springfield, Springfield Brewing Co. at Market & McDaniel is the oldest. Try the Greene Ghost (with an e for Greene County).

Mother's has a rollercoaster inspired brew called Loopteeloop or something like that.

Mother's at Grant & Walnut is great, with a variety of beers and a big lot called the Backyard that's open on Saturdays when the weather is good. Hanging out and chatting with new friends, horseshoes, sometimes live music. It's probably the most fun of the three. Try the Loopty Loop there--yep, a roller coaster themed beer!

The newest one is White River on Commercial Street, or "C-Street" as we call it here. It's a second downtown north of the actual downtown. It used to be a town called North Springfield that was incorporated decades ago. Cool vibe on that street. White River does not serve beer, but you can find it at many of C-Street's restaurants. I love Cusco, a Peruvian restaurant at Commercial & Robberson. Their specialty is rabbit in peanut sauce. As for White River, try the Table Rock Red.

If you are a Civil War nerd, There's also Pea Ridge National Military Park in Northwest Ark along with Prarie Grove Battlefield State Park.

Supposedly, the Landing has lost a few stores and restaurants but there's new one's on the way, H&M is opening down there and I think a bowling alley/FEC is going in where Belks is currently. I hear the mountain coaster that replaced The Slide is top notch.

Just checked out the new video on Time Traveler. I am even more exited now than I was before to ride it. I was a bit concerned about the spinning since I cannot do spinning flat rides, but this looks really fun. I will be there opening week, on Friday and Saturday, with the family. Our first trip to Branson. Spring Break can't come soon enough! I imagine the weather can play a role in the crowds this early in the year but typically how are the crowds opening week/weekend?

Great video! The spinning definitely looks reigned in and more akin to slow turning from this video, but on a coaster layout with inversions and this many twists and turns, that should still prove to create a really disorienting ride. I'm really looking forward to trying this thing out in a few months.

I'd also be interested if they were able to and willing to adjust the spinning on the vehicles for enthusiast events.

Awesome featurette video! Glad they finally came out with this! Been trying to explain to people ever since this was announced how the "controlled" spinning will work as I previously mentioned it would be best described as a brake caliper for a giant disc brake similarly seen on a car. For anyone else curious

You are welcome. haha

Given the controlled spinning, I look at this as a sort of next-gen Euro Mir with terrain and inversions. If it's anything like that we could have a really good coaster on our hands. I'll be there to check it out in May!

The spinning definitely looks reigned in and more akin to slow turning from this video, but on a coaster layout with inversions and this many twists and turns, that should still prove to create a really disorienting ride.

Pretty much how I'm looking at it too. Rather than something where you'll actively feel like you're rotating around, the bigger impact from the spin will be how it changes your position with respect to the elements the coaster goes through. There are some elements that look somewhat intense and disorienting even for a straight-on coaster train, so taken sideways or diagonally -- or backwards -- it'll be really interesting to see how that feels.

I'd also be interested if they were able to and willing to adjust the spinning on the vehicles for enthusiast events.

That crossed my mind too!

There's a lot of cool stuff around here these days. The Branson Ferris Wheel (former Navy Pier Ferris Wheel) gives great views of the mountains, and there's a ton of cool mini golf places along 76. Ripleys Believe It or Not and Titanic are worthwhile museums, and downtown Branson has the Landing outdoor mall with good chain restaurants like Laredo and an excursion train that goes into Arkansas and give views only accessible by rail.

Wilson's Creek National Battlefield is one of the few Civil War battlefields west of the Mississippi, and is historically significant as the site of Gen. Nathaniel Lyon's death.

There's also that new small amusement park opening up where that old shopping center used to be! Supposedly, it might be getting a windstorm coaster from SDC, which I'm excited about! Plus Bigfoot on the Strip and Fritz's are both a blast! I'm so thankful to live so close to Branson (funny you should mention it, I live right next door to Wilson's Creek, you can see the Ray House from my road). There is just so many fun and interesting things to do down there! And there seems to be lots of new attractions almost every year!

Thanks for the information, Andrew...very helpful!

I am sure that we would be checking out the battlefield as Michael and I both enjoy Civil War history.

My co-worker went to the Titanic in Pigeon Forge and him and his wife both enjoyed it, so that is on the list. Maybe those, along with SDC and the paddlewheel boat excursion would be just enough for us...although I'd be all in on the breweries and great sounding food places too!

And it looks like we would be there for the Bluegrass and BBQ event - yay! Although I would it rather be beer, grass and BBQ, but I'll take what I can get.

Also, thanks for posting the video, Robb...this just makes me more excited to go! It looks like we might be heading down the week of May 7th. Our plan would be to hit SDC mid-week in hopes that crowds won't be too bad.

And it looks like we would be there for the Bluegrass and BBQ event - yay! Although I would it rather be beer, grass and BBQ, but I'll take what I can get.

Maybe it's time to start a petition.

You'd be completely wasting your time

Think bigger, Zach. Start a GoFundMe so you can get free money and have zero responsibility to actually do anything.

There's also that new small amusement park opening up where that old shopping center used to be! Supposedly, it might be getting a windstorm coaster from SDC, which I'm excited about! Plus Bigfoot on the Strip and Fritz's are both a blast! I'm so thankful to live so close to Branson (funny you should mention it, I live right next door to Wilson's Creek, you can see the Ray House from my road). There is just so many fun and interesting things to do down there! And there seems to be lots of new attractions almost every year!

That new amusement "park" is merely some fair rides that are going to be parked there for a year. SDC does not have a windstorm coaster. CC had one, but they sold it to Glenwood Caverns after it closed.

I think it will be a cool spot, but think closer to Trader Village than an actual amusement park.

Well that makes a lot more sense. I completely forgot that there was an SDC that made roller coasters. I was thinking it was a pinfari.

Still not hopeful for them to bring in a roller coaster though. Hard to tell what is going on with the project, but their social media presence and branding makes me believe this isn't a hugely experienced operation. They already had to change their name shortly after announcing due to an apparent trademark complaint. Again though, it sounds like it could be interesting and I hope it leads to something bigger and permanent.

In other news, we are less than two weeks away from opening day!

Well that makes a lot more sense. I completely forgot that there was an SDC that made roller coasters. I was thinking it was a pinfari.

Still not hopeful for them to bring in a roller coaster though. Hard to tell what is going on with the project, but their social media presence and branding makes me believe this isn't a hugely experienced operation. They already had to change their name shortly after announcing due to an apparent trademark complaint. Again though, it sounds like it could be interesting and I hope it leads to something bigger and permanent.

In other news, we are less than two weeks away from opening day!

That wasn't a SDC but some other Italian make that began with S& something or another.

Think bigger, Zach. Start a GoFundMe so you can get free money and have zero responsibility to actually do anything.

Hey, if someone can start one for bringing back Geauga Lake, why not start one to petition SDC and Dollywood to sell beer?

Edit: I just booked our tickets and wow...I can't believe how reasonably priced they were! A 3 night stay at the Welk resort, 2-2 day admission tickets to SDC and 2 tickets to Titanic for under $500?

What a great deal!!!

That new amusement "park" is merely some fair rides that are going to be parked there for a year. SDC does not have a windstorm coaster. CC had one, but they sold it to Glenwood Caverns after it closed.

I think it will be a cool spot, but think closer to Trader Village than an actual amusement park.

Whether or not it is just a fair, it sounds really fun to me! I'll still no doubt go on opening weekend to try out the rides they have! The people running their Facebook page are so friendly. They respond to nearly every comment on every post with something positive. I can't wait. It seems like it will be like a smaller version of Branson USA. And yeah, I did mean the windstorm coaster at Celebration City. The model they might be getting is an SDC one. The one at Celebration City, however, was S&MC.