TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

I've made no secret that I think Trump is an idiot, and I don't consider that a political opinion. I thought he was an idiot when he was on the Apprentice, and I thought he was an idiot when I had to deal with his minions carrying out his policies in the course of my job (I work in the travel industry and occasionally have dealings with his hotels). My assessment of Trump's mental capabilities and overall competence to do anything did not begin with his most recent job.

This is seriously exactly how I feel. It has nothing to do with politics, or begin when he took office. . . I too have always felt he was an idiot, and I've made that no secret either.

Anywhore, back to SDC!!

I can't believe they demolished that building! Though I have no doubt what they do to the area will be a substantial improvement!! SDC knows what they are doing, and I can't wait to see the final product.

That being said to blend the two topics here, the clientele at SDC is way to #MAGA for us to feel comfortable returning. After having a mother (wearing here MAGA shirt) go off on us for the whole "if a man lie with a man the way he lie with a woman" thing right in the middle of a main path (and we werent even "acting super gay") no PDA from us, and just wearing normal jeans and nice shirts. Yeah, that was the end of SDC for us.

I still love the park. Think it's beautiful, and they do some world class theming through the park!!! It's really close to us, and has a nice mix of rides. . . But it's just not a comfortable place for us to be any more.

-----------------------------------

Wow -- sorry for the rant. I didn't realize how long it ended up being.

I can't believe they demolished that building! Though I have no doubt what they do to the area will be a substantial improvement!! SDC knows what they are doing, and I can't wait to see the final product.

Totally. That area will be remarkably different next year, and SDC has a great track record that when they change something, it's always improved.

But it's just not a comfortable place for us to be any more.

That really sucks, and I'm sorry that happened to you. I'm not surprised, because I live here and I know what the people are like, but I hate that it did all the same. You shouldn't feel like you can't do something you enjoy because people are hateful. In a way, you're giving in to them, because not encountering any gay people is pretty much the goal of people like her. On the other hand, it's hard to enjoy something when people are hateful to you. I get it. It just sucks.

^ Is KCI really that bad? I saw a lot of people complaining about the Orlando airport lately, but I find that to be one of the better airports I've been to. For me, the airport experience basically comes down to the security line.

I'll be flying to KCI Memorial Day weekend to finally visit Silver Dollar City, so I guess I'll be able to judge for myself.

KCI is small and convenient, but that's all I can say. Employees were horrible (unfriendly, trying to scam people, slow, uncaring, etc.) and there's NOTHING in the airport itself other than a scary snack bar and random crappy kiosks.

KCI is small and convenient, but that's all I can say. Employees were horrible (unfriendly, trying to scam people, slow, uncaring, etc.) and there's NOTHING in the airport itself other than a scary snack bar and random crappy kiosks.
Sounds like any small airport. Small being less than 5 gates.

Sounds like any small airport. Small being less than 5 gates.

KCI was a former Delta hub, so it has low ceilings and looks way out of date but in full reality is enormous and unwieldly. Also because it was de-hubbed right at the worst time economically, no one has done anything to it. As I understand it, the airport is going to be replaced soon.

What? LaGuardia is nowhere near Kansas City.

Full disclosure, that one was mostly for you.

I actually really like how MCI is set up. It's the airport I've flown out of more than any other, and a lot of it is that it's really easy. You get on a shuttle right at your parking spot, it drops you off right at your gate. There's no centralized security, but instead a bunch of small security stations throughout, so the lines are short. Yeah, sure, there are only a couple of snack bars around, but I'm not at an airport to hang out. I like that at MCI I don't have to walk a mile to get to my plane or to pick up my bags. Everything is just right at the gate.

I absolutely love small airports... LOVE THEM. I can walk into a nice, large airport and appreciate it but in the end, I don't care. Trenton Mercer / St. Pete-Clearwater/ Stewart and Westchester are my favorite airports on earth. At Trenton or Stewart I'm pretty sure you could park your car at the exact moment they start boarding your plane and walk to the terminal, get through security, get to your gate and board the plane in plenty of time. When you land (assuming you don't have bags), you'll be in your car in 5 minutes.

... but yeah, even compared to other big airports, LaGuardia is on an entirely different level. It's a grade A, 5 alarm sh*thole from the moment you get anywhere near the place and have to fight the cabbies to move one f*cking car length per 10 light cycles to the point where you start to wish that blocking the box was a felony that carried the death penalty by firing squad to the moment you board your plane that has to take off on a laughably short runway that planes run off of all the damn time.

I absolutely love small airports... LOVE THEM. I can walk into a nice, large airport and appreciate it but in the end, I don't care.

Agreed. At MCI and SGF I don't think it's ever taken me longer than 10 minutes from the time I entered the building until I'm at my gate. At STL, I don't think it's ever taken me less than 30. Those are the best options for me to depart from, but all of them are better than some I've flown to. Domestically LAX took me the longest to get where I was going. I have a lot of layovers in DFW, though I've never actually flown to Dallas. I can drive there in about 8 hours, so it's not worth the hassle. That thing is just too big, and getting from arrival gate to departure gate is a chore.

The absolute worst airport I have ever been to, though, is CDG. From the time you can see the terminal you're going to, it's about another 20 minutes until you get there. It's like a dessrt mirage or something. Paris is an awesome city, but their airport sucks.

^I think that's the problem though. Kansas City is a decent size city and the airport has way more than 5 gates.

My point was there are a lot of airports like that.

As a former hub, I'll wager it's not nearly busy enough to justify its size. That causes resources to be spread thin.

coasterbill, I wasn't knocking small facilities. I miss the 5 minutes from car to plane when my home terminal was a single gate, no jetway place. No need for more than a few vending machines as you were never there long.

In case y'all didn't know, the people of KC voted in a new, single terminal last fall. That is, if the city council doesn't screw it up.

New Orleans is getting a new terminal and Memphis is completely redoing and then consolidating to their B concourse. (Norwegian has hinted numerous times that Memphis will get service in the future likely with the A32LRS due in 2019, Memphis gets well over 2 million international tourists, Air Canada quickly added a second daily once reentering the market after the Delta dehub) Expect the return of Memphis BBQ joints once that happens, Nashville is supposed to tackle their issues as well. The rise of these low cost European carriers coming to America is putting a new face on air travel. Look at what Norwegian is doing for Denver, United is finally having to fight.

^ Is KCI really that bad? I saw a lot of people complaining about the Orlando airport lately, but I find that to be one of the better airports I've been to. For me, the airport experience basically comes down to the security line.

I'll be flying to KCI Memorial Day weekend to finally visit Silver Dollar City, so I guess I'll be able to judge for myself.

I used to fly into and out of KC regular for business and I always seem to get stuck in a terminal with extremely limited services.

I have flown into Orlando numerous times over the years and have always considered it one of the best. Have you real seen "a lot" of people complaining lately.

I think my favorite thing about small airports is that you sometimes get the opportunity to board from the tarmac.
Small airports seldom have a jetway, so everything is by stairs. I've boarded 707 and 747s that way.

And I've used stairs at some bigger airports (Memphis, Atlanta, Dallas), though for smaller planes (mostly turboprop)

One flight I was on, want to say it was at ORD, they got backed up and didn't have our gate ready, so they let us off on the tarmac and had a tram right there. They told us "Go directly to the tram, don't go anywhere else, there are other planes around us" and had the airplane directing people with the lights in their hands and the orange vests stand to either side of the stairs and made sure we went straight to the tram. The tram dropped us off in front of a glass door we went through and up some stairs, and then we were at the gate we should have been at. That was probably the most interesting landing I've ever had.