TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Check out the Big Dipper concept and compare it to the track at SDC. They look nearly identical. Now, I do believe that this ride has much more to it than a simple dive coaster (I’m definitely expecting launches and/or a second, taller dive). To be honest, I’m not much of a fan of the B&M Dive Coasters, but I firmly believe that Mack’s version will be superior.

IMG_2025.thumb.JPG.2d125e42fa8d628be10cd05116ea2d34.JPG

IMG_2026.thumb.JPG.7a344f803971e8c69c6b2c75ccdd339b.JPG

Based off of the pictures I don't understand where the track will go to line up with the entrance back into the station. That exit bridge also appears to be way to close to where I would expect the track to go. All will make sense in only 11 days

The track will sit pretty low in the station. The station floor comes up to the floor of the cars so it is easy to get in and out. The railing on the other side seems to indicate the trains won't be the wide body big dipper trains, but that's just my interpretation. Depth on these kinds of things can be deceiving.

I've got to say again: if it turns out this ride has some kind of spinning involved, don't freak out! They know what they are doing and they aren't going to go through all this effort to build something that is too "spinny" to enjoy. Mack is so good at what they do, and I'm sure that if they did include spinning, it would be thoughtfully setup with governors or something. Going through a loop sideways would be fun. Maybe even only spinning on certain parts as speculated before.

I'm just seeing a lot of people starting to make some assumptions again that because this has a vertical drop, it must be something like Big Dipper or Helix. Mack is pretty big on pushing limits and they can modify their designs to do anything. Either that, or this is going to be another "shed" moment where the world's firsts are really goofy.

Welp I went to Silver Dollar City again today except this time I went alone (I was going to go with a friend but she had Volleyball practice and then I was going to go with boyfriend but he had a family event). I was hoping that if I went with somebody I could get them to take a picture through the gate when driving up to the park but unfortunately I had nobody. I looked through the gate though, and oh my Lord. It is insane. There are lots of twists and turns, it looks like there is a straightaway for a launch, the vertical drop, and the biggest addition to the layout since the last update: a vertical loop. This one doesn't look super huge so it looks like after you go through the inversion after the drop (perhaps an immelmann?) then you will go into this loop. You can't really get any good views of the rest of the layout from the culinary arts porch. Well actually you can see the track fairly well but if you were to try and take a picture you wouldn't be able to tell because of the trees. The employees are even getting in on the teasing. I was sitting on the back porch at one point eating a small ice cream cone from the Grand Exposition and a lady was giving a group a tour of the school and brought them out on the back porch and one guy pointed over to the station and asked what was happening over there and the lady said "gravity is being redefined." And then at one point I was standing there watching as they were hoisting a new piece through the air and an employee was sweeping the deck and said to me "watching gravity being redefined?" I'm so excited for it to be announced! Now for the rest of my visit I just rode Powder Keg (watched somebody get busted with a Go Pro), Outlaw Run, Wildfire (it seemed significantly shakier than in my previous visits, my ears were actually red afterwards from hitting the restraints), Thunderation, Magnificent Wave Carousel, Firefall, and Electro Spin. I also did the cave tour. Then I left. Crowds were surprisingly small considering it was sunny and only 76 degrees all day.

Here is my take on the theming behind this. My backstory is as follows: (guessing going by current info)

An inventor inspired by the previous works of Doctor Horatio Harris with his Wildfire creation has set up shop on the outskirts of Silver Dollar City to create his own flying machine. After years of development at his Ozark mountain workshop, the machine is finally tested in 1888 using a never before seen power source. The machine careens out of the workshop and down the side of the mountain, at the last second it defies gravity and finally takes to the sky but somehow manages to be launched thru time as well. The stunned inventor returns to the present time (1888) Silver Dollar City to tell the citizens of what had transpired and was met with harsh skepticism, in fear he would be ran out of town as a heretic or worse, suffer ridicule from Dr. Harris himself who he looked up to as an idol, he offers the citizens an opportunity to see the future (or the past) at their leisure by taking a ride in this machine to prove himself.

Here is my take on the theming behind this. My backstory is as follows: (guessing going by current info)
An inventor inspired by the previous works of Doctor Horatio Harris with his Wildfire creation has set up shop on the outskirts of Silver Dollar City to create his own flying machine. After years of development at his Ozark mountain workshop, the machine is finally tested in 1888 using a never before seen power source. The machine careens out of the workshop and down the side of the mountain, at the last second it defies gravity and finally takes to the sky but somehow manages to be launched thru time as well. The stunned inventor returns to the present time (1888) Silver Dollar City to tell the citizens of what had transpired and was met with harsh skepticism, in fear he would be ran out of town as a heretic or worse, suffer ridicule from Dr. Harris himself who he looked up to as an idol, he offers the citizens an opportunity to see the future (or the past) at their leisure by taking a ride in this machine to prove himself.

That sounds like a great storyline! And it makes sense considering that survey back in 2016 about a launched spinning coaster and would be themed to a tourist time travel attraction. I can't wait to see the themeing on Time Traveler!

Being a huge theming geek, I'm honestly not sure which I'm more excited for. The theming or the coaster. I'm really falling in love with this steampunk-flying-time machine-science invention sort of storyline theyre going with on this project. I really feel this may be the pinnacle moment for SDC.

Serious question: Are the crowds on the paths or in the queues?

EDIT: Ok, just checked the app, and Lost River is 40 minutes, Powder Keg 45, and everything else is 15 or less. That means Powder Keg should be running 2 trains (of 3), Fire in the Hole 2 trains (of 5), and all the other coasters just 1. Is that what's happening?

Ok, something must be wrong with PK then that is preventing them from running a second train. They usually add a train when the line hits around 30 minutes. OR at 25 minutes should be running 1 train. No problems there.

Ok thanks for the info. OR just kinda surprised me. Still so impressed with the park.

Everything is wonderful

^^ Of course! Have fun, eat some cinmamon bread. Don't forget the cave!

^ That sounds perfectly normal.

The thing is that one train operations are really pretty common at SDC. I probably see two train ops way more than most on this site just because we usually go on weekends. But during the week, even in peak summer, there's not always enough guests to justify it. They also can kick ass with one train ops, and their coasters tend to be on the shorter side, so they can get away with it more than most parks would. Reduces maintenance costs so they can afford things like Outlaw Run and Time Traveler, amd it keeps older coasters like Thunderation and Wildfire running as smoothly as when they opened.

EDIT: For those coming next year for the new coaster, this will NOT be true for you. 2013 was a record breaking year, and waits of 90-120 minutes for Outlaw Run were common all summer. I would expect the same for Time Traveler next year. Come in the fall or spring for lowest crowds if you can, or else just budget for Trailblazer Pass.

Edited by ytterbiumanalyst

They've always been stingy with trains on weekdays. PK is a separate issue though... the problems have really ramped up again this year with some sort of new sensor issue. I think they re-did something on the trains and it hasn't worked well? That's just me reading between the lines from the people who have to stand out and give excuses for why the ride isn't working or is only running one train.

On OR I think they are more stingy with trains now because of how much maintenance is involved. They went to non-steel wheels this year and it just eats them up. All the crazy RMC's have that issue if they don't use steel wheels, but I guess the steel wheels are harder on the track itself? Lots of maintenance either way I guess, so they are going to run less trains if they can help it.