TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

^^^ I hope it is fairly long, too. SDC is my home park, and I will say we do have some fine coasters, they all just seem so short. Powder Keg seems like the shortest, even though it is the longest. I kind of wish they didn't use the old Buzzsaw Falls lift and just had the rest of the ride airtime hills and low to the ground curves. But yeah, given the high cost of the ride, I'm sure it will be pretty long. At least 4,000 feet, maybe close to 5,000. I noticed that it looks like there will be two transfer tracks so is it possible that it could run three trains? And if it does could that mean that there will be a mid-course like on Blue Fire? Either way, I'm excited to see what the theme of this ride will be. So far I'm liking the hinted steampunk theme.

After SDC we park hopped to White Water. I forgot how much I hate it there. Neither of us had a great time at White Water. I've gone to a decent amount of water parks now, and I have to say, White Water is probably the worst. It isn't that the park is dirty or the employees are unfriendly, well actually they are but every water park I've been to has had unfriendly employees. But it is just so lackluster and expensive. The park is small, but it is the only water park in the area so it still gets tons of guests so even the smallest slide still has a twenty minute wait. We waited thirty minutes for the family raft slide, went to the wave pool, which was packed, then to the lazy river, which was packed, then we rode just some tube slide that had a thirty minute wait. We looked at the lines for the other slides and didn't think any of them were worth it. Every year I've gotten a season pass for SDC and White Water. Every year I've visit White Water at least once to make the pass worth it. I think I'm just going to drop White Water next year, it isn't worth the extra forty dollars. I'll always get the SDC season pass though, I go probably at least five times a year and of course when you buy things in the park you get a discount, it turns prices that are high into prices that are fair!

WW is an AMAZING PARK! It is the biggest in the area, biggest I (and most locals) have ever bern to, and the best I have ever been to. It is SOOOOOO much better than SDC. The admission price is cheap and worth it for everything there is. There is no water park in this area that has slides/attractions like they have. There is no "family raft slide". Do you mean Ohana Falls? It holds 2-4 people. It cant hold a whole family.

Yeah, I mean Ohana Falls. Each raft can hold five people, that's pretty much a family. It is the biggest in the area, but that isn't saying much considering it is the ONLY water park in Southwest, Missouri. It is only thirteen acres so it is on the smaller side for water parks. I can criticize you for liking it better than SDC considering I liked Celebration City better than SDC back when it was still open. It is definitely my least favorite water park though. There is nothing there that just stands out. Here's how I rank the water parks I've been to: 10. White Water 9. Big Surf (Lake of the Ozarks) 8. Oceans of Fun (Worlds of Fun) 7. Hurricane Harbor (Six Flags St. Louis) 6. Hurricane Harbor (Six Flags Over Texas) 5. Soak City (Kings Island) 4. Splashin Safari (Holiday World) 3. Adventure Bay (Adventureland) 2. Hurricane Bay (Kentucky Kingdom) 1. Crystal Falls (Magic Springs) I would probably like White Water more if it actually had something semi-unique. Maybe a master blaster or a good slide complex. My favorite slide complex is that one at Crystal Falls, it has two bowl slides, two regular slides, and then three super fun speed slides up top.

Ohana Falls holds 2-4 people per raft!!! Not 5!

Sean's correct. While you might get an op that will let 5 slide by, official raft max capacity is 4. Our sole visit to WhiteWater we were turned down for five of us in the raft. There's certainly enough space for 5, especially children, so I could definitely see a more lax op letting it happen. And considering how lackluster and inattentive the staff was in the rest of the park on our visit I was pretty surprised they even bothered! We don't intend on returning, it was so overpriced for a water park that is on the small size of things and poorly run at that.

A VERY interesting development has been unveiled on SDC's Facebook and Instagram page, between the "Gravity Redefined" teaser and this latest one quoting Jules Verne, I am really intrigued as it seems with the wing art and the Jules Verne quote, this seems to be something along the lines of Robur the Conqueror meets H.G. Wells' Time Machine for the name/theme. There was indeed a lesser talked about name called "Mountain Wings".

Flying time machine maybe? http://io9.gizmodo.com/that-time-jules-verne-caused-a-ufo-scare-453662253

It would be kinda funny if they went with something inspired by this if they can make it unique enough so it avoids a legal issue with Universal: http://backtothefuture.wikia.com/wiki/Jules_Verne_Train

sdc2018teaser2.png.30de3ac4b6d0d3fe9722c0e3e5908da3.png

MountainWingsTrademark.thumb.png.1846165dc4dafb6210a8e5cf25a52322.png

853925.thumb.jpg.b85319cce9b8271eefc7043ae9606045.jpg

Edited by sdcfan88

I've wondered for a while now if TPTB might consider steering a bit into steampunk territory for SDC. And I am 100% all for that. Gimme that "Wild Wild West" (the show) vibe - mostly reality-based, but with some anachronistic twists!

Man, I can't wait until August 16th...

Also, that video featuring Buzzsaw Falls really hit me in the nostalgia feels! My cousins and I actually got to ride BF the day it opened to the public. It was SO fun. But I love how they incorporated it into Powderkeg; Powderkeg was the first launched coaster I'd ever been on, and I love it to bits!

Man, I wish I could make it to SDC this year... But for SURE, I'm gonna do my best to convince someone to help me make it to opening day next year!

And I wish Premier built more of those water coasters.

If you really desperately wanna ride one there's still one in Finland gets you wetter than a shower

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

(someone confirm if it's the same type, doesn't have the free flume part but the trains look otherwise the same?)

Sean's correct. While you might get an op that will let 5 slide by, official raft max capacity is 4. Our sole visit to WhiteWater we were turned down for five of us in the raft. There's certainly enough space for 5, especially children, so I could definitely see a more lax op letting it happen. And considering how lackluster and inattentive the staff was in the rest of the park on our visit I was pretty surprised they even bothered! We don't intend on returning, it was so overpriced for a water park that is on the small size of things and poorly run at that.

Yeah. The day I went it must have been a more relaxed crew. They were sending out rafts with five children. Some rafts even had two adults and three children. They must have been maxing out capacity trying to get through the line. Again, the parking lot was only half full, and the slides all had super long lines. They really need to do something with their capacity issues. But yeah, it is pretty overpriced. Admission isn't too bad, but everything in the park is super expensive. So my friend put on her swimsuit and realized a strap had broken on the top. I said we should just leave, go to the Tanger just down the road and get a new swimsuit, but she said she'd just buy one there. The cheapest suit we found was almost forty dollars. It was insane. And their best slide, the drop capsule one, is about half the size of any of those capsule slides I've been on. They cleared out an entire hillside to build it and it was so small!

I don't think I'm going to go again for a LONG time.

Just found this posted on Facebook. That has to be a 90 degree drop! A first of its kind Mack dive coaster?

Surely not. Maybe it is just the way they were hoisting it up? And the support is in the background? That just seems so crazy! I'm probably going to SDC again next Tuesday (I have to go to Spokane to pick up my schedule for school, at that point I'm already halfway to SDC so why not?). I'll just have to go on to the back porch of the Culinary Arts school and have a look. If it is a Mack dive coaster, I will be happy. If it is a Mack extreme spinner, I will be happy. I will just be happy we are getting a new coaster! And again, if it is steampunk, I will love it. The queue will probably be so awesome! I'm thinking maybe there is a staircase wrapping around the wall and in the center they could have that flying machine thing suspended from the ceiling, kind of like the gift shop of Wildfire. Or I'm thinking that there are multiple floors in that building and each floor is a different scene.

Just found this posted on Facebook. That has to be a 90 degree drop! A first of its kind Mack dive coaster?

Wow! That looks sweet!

To your earlier posts about the SDC teasers, I could definitely see them incorporating some sort of theming involving early attempts at flight, although that's not too far off from Wildfire's story if I remember correctly.

To your earlier posts about the SDC teasers, I could definitely see them incorporating some sort of theming involving early attempts at flight, although that's not too far off from Wildfire's story if I remember correctly.

You know, that makes a LOT of sense! Especially if the ride started off with a dive like the plane didn't work, but then swoops upward and flies for the rest of the layout!

Oh, and that drop looks ludicrous

You know, that makes a LOT of sense! Especially if the ride started off with a dive like the plane didn't work, but then swoops upward and flies for the rest of the layout!

Oh, and that drop looks ludicrous

And the fact that it drops right out of the station! There is no possible way that that could be the highest point of the ride, they haven't put up enough supports for that yet.

Surely not. Maybe it is just the way they were hoisting it up? And the support is in the background? That just seems so crazy!

While I'm not convinced it isn't just camera angle, I don't think a vertical drop is crazy in the least for a park with an 87 degree drop already to get one that's 90 degree vertical.

Surely not. Maybe it is just the way they were hoisting it up? And the support is in the background? That just seems so crazy!

While I'm not convinced it isn't just camera angle, I don't think a vertical drop is crazy in the least for a park with an 87 degree drop already to get one that's 90 degree vertical.

Yeah. WOW! I'm just so excited that they are building this! And I'm happy that I live only an hour away! i'm not one for themeing, but I cannot wait to see what they end up doing as a theme. Already this (maybe) dive coaster is looking better than any B&M dive coaster!

It's not just the angle - you can see how a support juts out at a 90 degree angle on the side. As far as I'm concerned I don't care how many launches, vertical drops, or rides from a certain manufacturer that a park has - why set limits?

Now to see the first inversion pop up out of the valley...

It's a 90 degree drop that goes down 70-100 feet and ends below the hill into a dugout canal and back into a half loop. There is a 2nd half loop with a large section of straight track erected crossing by the bottom of the drop. This track leads to the small rectangular building. Inversions and launches are pretty much confirmed now.

I am starting to agree with others that this could be a hybrid of the Time Travel theme with flying mixed in. Maybe we will see flying time trains like BTTF. Lol

IMG_20170804_120307561.thumb.jpg.a95acb60722f1dfa17102a134f414b57.jpg

Edited by sdcfan88