TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Wild Mountain will be a bigger project than Outlaw Run?

From what the area looks like and the rumored cost, it will be much bigger. The park has said its gonna be their biggest investment ever, so its likely to be quite the project!

Thanks for the update!! Glad you guys had a good time at the park, and glad your son likes Outlaw Run!!

I cant get over how massive this project is, and that station is HUGE!!! I'm really looking forward to watching this develop over this season, and the next off season.

...The switchbacks have been blocked off, replaced with a straight path with stairs...

Part of me really hopes they leave it like this. One of the slightly annoying things about Thunderation is the long walk through all of the unnecessary switchbacks.

Part of me really hopes they leave it like this. One of the slightly annoying things about Thunderation is the long walk through all of the unnecessary switchbacks.

Thanks, and I'm with you here. I don't think they've used those switchbacks in 15 years, or the one inside the station building om the lower level. Once they got Wildfire, the line just hasn't built up that far.

I hope the pictures get a sense of scale on this thing, but I really feel like you have to be there in person to appreciate it. Once you see how far back from the path this is, and then how much farther back it goes, you know this is something special.

...The switchbacks have been blocked off, replaced with a straight path with stairs...

I agree the switchbacks are unnecessary, but I feel like walking through the switchbacks is part of the tradition of riding TNT and I am actually sad that they aren't using them.

I agree the switchbacks are unnecessary, but I feel like walking through the switchbacks is part of the tradition of riding TNT and I am actually sad that they aren't using them.

I mean, the walk down those switchbacks was peaceful, and kinda made it feel that TNT was even more "out in the woods" than it is, but they're not needed now. Besides, it was more so a large ramp for high speed little kids to cut you in line than just switchbacks. But who knows, they could come back once the 2018 project is finished.

I'm thinking about going to the park on Friday, March 31, or Saturday, April 1, and I noticed that it is Young Christians' Weekend. Would anyone have an idea of how crowded the park will be? Thanks.

It will be massively crowded. That is typically the only day of the year where Wildfire uses it's entire indoor queue and then some. Try to reschedule if at all possible.

I noticed that it is Young Christians' Weekend

Isn't that every weekend at SDC?

We ended up there during a gospel festival a year or so ago and didn't really see an appreciable difference in crowd levels until Sunday morning. We were expecting it to be pretty dead until after church, but didn't realize that a huge church service was going on at sunrise at the park. Still not terrible though.

There will be 20 times more people there than you think there will be. It will be like Memorial Day or Labor Day. Expect an average of 3 hour lines to everything. The line will be going upstairs and thru every long way Wildfire has. If at all possible, DO NOT GO!!! You will hardly be able to move. If you just want to ride, that can be done the next weekend. Most people will be there for the Echo Hollow concerts, other shows, and to ride. This is the 1 event that can compete with the Holidays festival because they get about the same numbers as they would on a Saturday in December, maybe more. It is the 1 time of the year I hate most of all.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

I noticed that it is Young Christians' Weekend

Isn't that every weekend at SDC?

We ended up there during a gospel festival a year or so ago and didn't really see an appreciable difference in crowd levels until Sunday morning. We were expecting it to be pretty dead until after church, but didn't realize that a huge church service was going on at sunrise at the park. Still not terrible though.

To be clear, the Southern Gospel fest and Young Christians Weekend are two very different things. YCW is a one weekend extravaganza that every church youth group within a two hour radius tries to attend. Each year they test the capacity of the park, and unlike most days at SDC almost everyone is there for the rides (as well as the big name christian performers). So 90% of the capacity-level crowd is going to be preteen kids with little adult supervision. Just think about that....

The Southern Gospel Picnic is a small festival that caters to the older crowds just after the school season starts. It's a great time to go if you want to focus on rides.

I'm thinking about going to the park on Friday, March 31, or Saturday, April 1, and I noticed that it is Young Christians' Weekend. Would anyone have an idea of how crowded the park will be? Thanks.

Thanks to all you guys who responded to my question. I believe I'll make plans to do something else.

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but one of Outlaw Run's trains has new seatbelts. They're a bit wider than the old ones and in my experience easier and faster to buckle, since they're less likely to get twisted and tangled than the old ones are. If you ride twice in a row, once in each train, you'll notice the difference.

Ok, we're driving 6 hours to Branson today to hit SDC first thing Thursday. Its supposed to be 77 degrees and sunny. I suspect the park will be crowded. Any vets of the park care to give some tips for best route once we are inside the park? Hoping to ride everything in one day. I suspect we should hit Outlaw first but maybe not?

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but one of Outlaw Run's trains has new seatbelts. They're a bit wider than the old ones and in my experience easier and faster to buckle, since they're less likely to get twisted and tangled than the old ones are. If you ride twice in a row, once in each train, you'll notice the difference.

I'll have to check them out today. Are they any longer or are they shorter?

I went to SDC today. And may I just say, do NOT go to the park on a Thursday through May 30th, they are doing half price Thursdays ($35) and it was INSANE. A security guard told me they were only expecting about 6,500 visitors today, I wouldn't be surprised if it was tripled that today. All the lots were full, there were lines just for the FOOD stands, the line for Wildfire was insane! They actually used the SECOND FLOOR queue which I never knew existed! The only line that wasn't insane was for Outlaw Run, and the line was only 15 minutes. I only rode four things: Wildfire, Outlaw Run, Thunderation (which they moved the entrance for due to construction), and Firefall (my favorite ride in the park). Then I grabbed an apple turnover at the bakery by Grandfather's Mansion, then left. BTW, I watched the construction for a while, they have the station built for the most part, and it is HUGE! It looks like a tower! Can't wait to ride whatever it is next year!