TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

I hope the roller coaster is great, the themeing is great, and it provides an overall perfect experience, but I hope it has a God awful name.. That way it will bother the sh*t out of people who care way too much about irrelevant things like the coaster's name.

Crossing my fingers for "Top Dog," "Spinning Roller Coaster," or even "Raging Boner Mobile."

I hope the roller coaster is great, the themeing is great, and it provides an overall perfect experience, but I hope it has a God awful name.. That way it will bother the sh*t out of people who care way too much about irrelevant things like the coaster's name.

Crossing my fingers for "Top Dog," "Spinning Roller Coaster," or even "Raging Boner Mobile."

What's great about this park, which is in the minority, is that they don't need to add another coaster for me to warrant a trip back.

Any new attractions are just a bonus tbh

Couldn't have said it any better! There is just so much extra you can do here than at most other parks. Even when I visit for a rather long time, I still can't fit everything in! There is just so much good food, shows, and tiny, but awesome attractions like Grandfathers Mansion. They've thought of everything when developing this park. I know there are some people who don't like the direction the park is going because they've removed some classic theming and attractions around the park, but even the worst of SDC is better than 90% of the park's in this country.

Here's a quick rundown of what I've learned via various social media about various things from opening day today:

1) The wall behind the giant SDC logo at the park entrance is gone. You can see a photo of it here:

(I'm still fairly new here, so forgive me if links like this aren't allowed; EDIT: realized that first one is from a private acct, so took it off)

2) The biggest news so far is Brad Thomas's tweet:

- which gives the URL SilverDollarCity.com/WildMountain which re-directs to http://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/what-is-it

It should be noted that Wild Mountain is one of two titles trademarked by Herschend in February for the purposes of a roller coaster (the other being "Mountain Wings", filed two days after "Wild Mountain"). You can see the Wild Mountain filing here: http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=doc&state=4804:dik119.2.3

Thanks/credit to straightshooter on SDCFans for the heads up about Brad's tweet!

Not sure how i feel about the wall being gone behind the logo. It looks nice, but at the same time a little empty. I couldn't tell in the photo, but is the area around the logo any different? I wonder if its to prevent crowd congestion through that old archway.

That wild mountain thing is quite interesting. It would be quite odd if they used the ride name in the teaser. Maybe its just to hint at an overall theme? I dont know about you, but that sign on that fence makes me want to look over the fence

From what's being reported over on SDCFans, the little track + mine cart that was there for theming on the other side of that wall is also gone.

As for the names, right now we have three possible titles that are trademarked by Herschend for a roller coaster: Time Traveler, Wild Mountain, and Mountain Wings.

Is this ride supposed to be bigger than Cobra's Curse?

I hope so especially with a year of hype.

It should be pretty clear that information about this coaster is very limited right now

What would compel you to compare this coaster to Cobra's Curse when we don't know much yet?

Edited by larrygator

I'd be so happy if this ride turned out to be something completely different than the thing people are expecting just because that's the popular rumor. Remember, coaster rumors are mostly assumptions, and when you assume you make an ass out of you and me... but mostly you in this case.

What we know so far:

• It's one of a kind
  • It's big
  • The name Wild Mountain seems to have something to do with it

The Mack launched spinner rumor is mostly a popular hunch based on the fact that there aren't many other big, one-of-a-kind possibilities that seem obvious at the moment. It very well could be a spot-on rumor, but I wouldn't get my heart set on anything yet. In any case, I expect it to be a highly customized version of whatever it is.

^One can dream

No one knows for sure, but it's being hinted as their biggest addition ever.

Not sure how i feel about the wall being gone behind the logo. It looks nice, but at the same time a little empty. I couldn't tell in the photo, but is the area around the logo any different? I wonder if its to prevent crowd congestion through that old archway.

^When a park makes a minor decision to take something as insignificant as a wall down. This is how the coaster community responds, because we all know what's best for the park more than the engineers, designers, management, corporate finance, etc.

^One can dream

^When a park makes a minor decision to take something as insignificant as a wall down. This is how the coaster community responds, because we all know what's best for the park more than the engineers, designers, management, corporate finance, etc.

I wasn't saying that because "I know what's best", because I don't. All I was saying is that it's an unusual change that's gonna make the entrance area look very different. I was just trying to think of a reason why they'd do it. No harm in that

Back on topic, does anyone know if most Missouri schools are on spring break this week, or will be next week? I went on my spring break last year and we had about 1 hour waits on everything. From what I've heard from friends in the area, a few were off this week. Also, has anyone checked out the new taco restaurant? Saw a few photos of it online and it looks really good!

^One can dream

I wasn't saying that because "I know what's best", because I don't. All I was saying is that it's an unusual change that's gonna make the entrance area look very different. I was just trying to think of a reason why they'd do it. No harm in that

Back on topic, does anyone know if most Missouri schools are on spring break this week, or will be next week? I went on my spring break last year and we had about 1 hour waits on everything. From what I've heard from friends in the area, a few were off this week. Also, has anyone checked out the new taco restaurant? Saw a few photos of it online and it looks really good!

I would also appreciate any insight into crowd levels this week. I can tell you the majority of MO schools are off this week and next week. We're planning a trip there next week but if its likely to be bonkers we may push to a later date.

This week is spring break for Springfield Public Schools, which is the largest school district in Missouri. Weather this weekend is sunny and in the 60s. Expect huge crowds.

Next week is Spring Break for Joplin, the area's second largest school district. Crowds should be slightly lower than this week, with emphasis on the slightly. As usual, weekdays are better than weekends.

It should be noted that the entertainment options usually available are very limited during Spring Ride Days, so the prevailing wisdom that the park can be crowded and still not have lines doesn't apply at this time. Still, Silver Dollar City does a great job keeping lines moving, and I've rarely seen lines for any ride longer than an hour, even at busy times.

Does anybody else think the Time Traveler theme (if it is not in fact being used for this new 2018 coaster) would fit in very well with something like an S&S El Loco, possibly indoors? I could see there being something like the first drop being themed to a "wormhole" or something, and then when you go past some obvious cardboard cutouts of Roman architecture on the block brake runs you realize that you've been "taken for a ride", both figuratively and literally.

One of my fears is that, if this is in fact going to be a spinning coaster with similar stats to Blue Fire as the rumors suggest, you could end up going too fast while on the coaster itself to really appreciate the theming, especially the "fake time travel" storyline. For this reason I'm really hoping that there will be at least a couple of slow themed sections a la Mystery Mine/Verbolten, or maybe even something like a midcourse elevator lift thrown in.

This week is spring break for Springfield Public Schools, which is the largest school district in Missouri. Weather this weekend is sunny and in the 60s. Expect huge crowds.

Next week is Spring Break for Joplin, the area's second largest school district. Crowds should be slightly lower than this week, with emphasis on the slightly. As usual, weekdays are better than weekends.

It should be noted that the entertainment options usually available are very limited during Spring Ride Days, so the prevailing wisdom that the park can be crowded and still not have lines doesn't apply at this time. Still, Silver Dollar City does a great job keeping lines moving, and I've rarely seen lines for any ride longer than an hour, even at busy times.

All schools in NWA are out as well. Very large school districts.

When you say NWA, do you mean this week or next?

Also, Springfield isn't the largest school district in Missouri. Though it clearly is the largest of importance in the area. That "honor" belongs to KC, then STL city, then Francis Howell in St. Charles. I work for the FHSD...and our spring break is next week. And...we're coming down worth another family. I'm expecting crowds. Thankfully I'm also going early June...when it should be somewhat quieter.

Either way...I'M HANKERIN' FOR SOME COASTERIN'

Also, Springfield isn't the largest school district in Missouri. Though it clearly is the largest of importance in the area. That "honor" belongs to KC, then STL city, then Francis Howell in St. Charles. I work for the FHSD...and our spring break is next week. And...we're coming down worth another family. I'm expecting crowds. Thankfully I'm also going early June...when it should be somewhat quieter.

You'd think KC and STL would be the largest, but they both split their special ed departments into a separate district. The largest in Missouri in order:

1. Springfield (25,670)

2. St. Louis (24,496)

3. Rockwood (21,931)

4. North Kansas City (19,984)

5. Ft. Zumwalt (18,289)

6. Hazelwood (18,193)

7. Francis Howell (18,104)

8. Lee's Summit (18,073)

9. Columbia (17,963)

10. Parkway (17,764)

https://mcds.dese.mo.gov/quickfacts/District%20and%20School%20Information/District%20Enrollment%201991-2016.xls

They are out this weekend (18th) thru next (25th)

Today I took my son to Silver Dollar City. It's his last day of spring break, and he has been feeling the offseason as badly as a lot of us have. The weather forecast was utterly perfect: 60s and scattered showers! Just the sort of forecast to keep people away and yet be an absolutely fantastic day.

Let's get the negatives out of the way: Powder Keg and Firefall were closed all day for mechanical issues. But Powder Keg is often iffy on rainy days, and Evan is now tall enough for Outlaw Run, so it wasn't as big of a deal today as it would have been last year at this time.

We started off the day with Fire in the Hole. I kind of let him lead me in the direction he wanted to go, and that's where he ran first. Crowds weren't going to be a problem today (don't expect the same this weekend), so it just became about what he wanted to do. After not riding a coaster for several weeks, I thought it a good idea to do a smaller one first. He may be a fan of Outlaw Run, but he's also 7.

Speaking of Outlaw Run, that is where we went next. He knows the way and will often lead me in that direction if we get anywhere near it. I think it's safe to say it's his favourite roller coaster. After two laps on it, we went over to the Giant Barn Swing. He didn't like it when we tried it last year after he hit 48", but he was staring at it and saying "Woohoo!" He's not very verbal, so I kind of have to interpret things. I asked him if he wanted to ride the giant swing, and he ran toward the entrance, so I guess we're doing this. He was pretty enthusiastic until we actually sat down on the ride. Then he shook nervously and held my arm. It apparently wasn't quite what he thought it would be. Still, cool for him to be willing to try it again. It's one of my favourite flats, but I'll admit it's intense, especially for a 7 year old.

It was time for a break, so we got lunch. He had a Nathan's hot dog and I a pretzel bratwurst, which is new this year and which I forgot to take a picture of. It was great--go get one. They're sold at the Carousel Barn, next to Tom & Huck's River Blast.

Speaking of which, SDC is making a big effort to improve food service this year, and in fact is advertising this season as the Year of Food and Crafts. It's been a sore spot with a lot of longtime guests who remember the park of the 80s and before. Food was always cheap and high quality and in fact was a selling point for a lot of people. As the park grew, they turned to higher capacity food service, and quality suffered. It's understandable, but food was always something they were known for, and fans of the park just hated to see it go to typical theme park quality. Crossroads Pizza was a great first step. It's a super high capacity restaurant with seriously good pizza. This year they're adding lots of new options at existing places, and adding a few new locations as well, including Percy's Southwest Grille in the former Mary's Springhouse. And don't worry, cinnamon bread is back and the same as ever.

And that's a nice segue back into the narrative, as we followed up our lunch with the very first cinnamon bread of the year. Mmm...cinnamon bread.

What was I saying? Oh yeah, I was telling you about my day. We followed up cinnamon bread by... Mmm...cinnamon bread.

Focus!

We went over to Thunderation both to ride the best non-Disney mine train in existence and also to check on the progress of what is apparently going to be called Wild Mountain, according to in-park signage. This thing is massive, and the station building is beyond belief. It's about the size of Banshee's station, seriously. There's been a lot of work on it already; the steel frame appears to be complete, and workers were putting up the wood frame while the park was open.

We finished up with the Grand Expo, Flooded Mine, and American Plunge. We were there about four hours all total and had a really great day to start out the year!

20170317_095653.thumb.jpg.f44c7bae4322c1d0f48ec28f607ef88f.jpg

New look for the entrance sign

20170317_100159.thumb.jpg.fcf8f38565bf2d3c99204bfc868426d4.jpg

New food options at Wagon Wheel

20170317_100214.thumb.jpg.9993adc038f6b1faceb927ba2cf8bb91.jpg

It pays to be early

20170317_100244.thumb.jpg.0a4f2f7ac49479e7a71d4b98d81fc098.jpg

20170317_100258.thumb.jpg.dd3c5c51b7fc4d724d56b2f681edcc10.jpg

20170317_100356.thumb.jpg.76ac1eb7427d3b968ef508dcf589629d.jpg

New food options at Lumberjack Camp

20170317_101811.thumb.jpg.5b607f45127a4ca0bd56a754e440487e.jpg

I love the little details all over the park.

20170317_101836.thumb.jpg.a0e69826a64439ca8da6fb99d19c7c17.jpg

All the water rides were open, although there weren't many takers.

20170317_101909.thumb.jpg.e4892db4201548823acea9da21922c7c.jpg

We're making a left at the crossroads.

20170317_102011.thumb.jpg.da96e78cfc1fc78f06dc72602e8f9de4.jpg

Lost River isn't testing; it's actually open.

20170317_102027.thumb.jpg.63873691601d28a7b04bc50564a5fd6b.jpg

The world's greatest flat ride.

20170317_102106.thumb.jpg.a1bb067e2e8f2a9becf8341412cd141d.jpg

Yes, Evan is literally skipping to Outlaw Run.

20170317_102138.thumb.jpg.1ef98a18e9dff5ba11f37004da888ec8.jpg

That's what I like to see!

20170317_110031.thumb.jpg.0cf8eec74137eb93e5d6b9b2b6970ea9.jpg

Hey, some brave souls!

20170317_110051.thumb.jpg.a7fb175dabbf800b8d880680fa1c53a8.jpg

Very light crowds this morning.

20170317_110847.thumb.jpg.f24f8d9a792c4d8582db24cfa9f187dc.jpg

Stop! Puddle time!

20170317_110905.thumb.jpg.c7624a2d3d81ca207a30275f481c3062.jpg

On to land some firemen. Wait, I think that came out wrong.

20170317_112624.thumb.jpg.39e094c4f8d65134491464f4ce405845.jpg

No fires falling today.

20170317_112641.thumb.jpg.d8b7d979263f21010f15d24cd8b9554a.jpg

Where are we running to now?

20170317_112810.thumb.jpg.e412dd612f8d2baf5e99e37dc4a42d9a.jpg

The ball mess!

20170317_121159.thumb.jpg.14685f5492509b7ad558a4131a7d5c31.jpg

And now back to the front of the park.

20170317_121206.thumb.jpg.58dcafe369f280b031c7e4f31861ad89.jpg

Lots to see!

20170317_121310.thumb.jpg.3335322058f613aad8b21a7e6f2f5663.jpg

This is the new Percy's Southwest Grille, which has replaced Mary's Springhouse.

20170317_121326.thumb.jpg.9d00fed5b829437bf9901da5f7ca11c4.jpg

But we're in the mood for something else.

20170317_121424.thumb.jpg.bc2247814d036420006ee5b2e645eb61.jpg

Come to me, my precious.

20170317_121722.thumb.jpg.53211f721326cf5b99d60aa4795c4f25.jpg

First cinnamon bread of the season!

20170317_122551.thumb.jpg.cdceb998a63a8169ed0f9cc937c76a81.jpg

And now for a perennial favourite classic attraction.

20170317_123034.thumb.jpg.cc4cbc1e4268f61f7ef96ceccf22655f.jpg

Wait! Who moved the entrance?

20170317_123125.thumb.jpg.38d40d1175c5dfc6c0900149e3900a9a.jpg

Aw, man, we can't look over the fence....

20170317_123111.thumb.jpg.bc4e4e27bcc0f044a088fbb7a74388f2.jpg

We did. Oops.

20170317_123120.thumb.jpg.23e965a18448a54012375320380c684f.jpg

The switchbacks have been blocked off, replaced with a straight path with stairs.

20170317_123158.thumb.jpg.b42eec18612cc9ea4f57bcbb073c1bbe.jpg

And behind drop #1 is this lovely steel structure.

20170317_123230.thumb.jpg.2f7b9b1558b71cde66e97bbd3eda6827.jpg

The steel frame appears to be complete, and they're adding wood frame now.

20170317_123238.thumb.jpg.9e9201ffa253c0d78ee4675356cf5ad4.jpg

I totally believe this is the biggest addition ever. That area is HUGE.

20170317_124149.thumb.jpg.ec056ff4e8a3f090ff7cbfb0bde69dd2.jpg

More can be seen from the Echo Hollow Entrance.

20170317_124355.thumb.jpg.889c10dce69e2ae7583731146e83fbc9.jpg

And you can see a lot from the porch at the Culinary & Craft School building.

20170317_124403.thumb.jpg.12d8271b0743027dc849ea091cd5e44e.jpg

20170317_124414.thumb.jpg.159c8e85242ad98246448d65f7979375.jpg

20170317_124440.thumb.jpg.65414f60dc90fa8e32d53f6e153d58d6.jpg

20170317_124458.thumb.jpg.b6df1742113da8afd75dc141c9de60ab.jpg

20170317_124744.thumb.jpg.3ac91c036168c7dc46f1e565ae640b84.jpg

Construction photos obtained. Time for more rides!

20170317_132937.thumb.jpg.094d756ec811cf4530d6441611f0e09c.jpg

Crowds had picked up a bit in the afternoon, but not by much.

20170317_135254.thumb.jpg.f7dc4b16ee45ae51fea1f415e3c12bd7.jpg

Back in the square.

20170317_140312.thumb.jpg.373fb9733515c335b3b8689bfd0fa2a3.jpg

And we closed out our day with one of our favourites.