TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Hey guys! My family is thinking of going to SDC around the 1st or 2nd week that it's open.

How crowded should I expect the park to be?

Should I do Outlaw Run first or Wildfire first?

Thanks

The first two weekends are spring break for basically all area schools. It's very crowded every day,and moreso on weekends. Summer level crowds.

Start with Powder Keg, as it's the lowest capacity of all the big coasters. Outlaw Run next, then Wildfire.

Saw some construction pictures on another site, what I believe is the station building for project 2018 is taking shape and it's HUGE. With the park opening in less than a month, watching the construction of this new attraction should get pretty interesting.

Here are the pictures and article on the coaster construction https://midwestinfoguide.blogspot.com/search/label/SDC%202018

I am beginning to speculate it may surprise us and have an elevator lift from the station and/or launch in the style similar to Powder Keg. And if the theme is really Time Traveling maybe they will put in a subtle reference to Back To The Future by making the coaster go 88mph or something on the launch. lol

^ Thanks for the link to the article.

It's crazy how many trees they have cut down for this ride. . . And that's a shame, because one of the best things about SDC is the amount of tress hiding everything in the park. I know they will replant new ones, but I'm sure hoping it's really BIG new ones, others that area is going to look pretty barren for quiet a while.

As for the new coaster, I really can't see them having it go 88mph. . . Only because, isn't this suppose to be a family concept?? Nearly 100mph is very family friendly!! I'm really looking forward to watching this evolve. . . I just keep hoping that if it is an "extreme spinner" that the spinning isn't out of control.

If they cut down a ton more trees for the ride, I'm sure it will be like Outlaw Run's plaza. When it opened, it lacked a lot of shade and greenery, but now, it feels just as wooded as the rest of the park. Each little update for this ride takes any expectations of the ride from previous updates and obliterates them. This is one of the few rides that's been built where I have absolutely no idea what to expect!

^Its sad that one has been closed. Looked like an amazing coaster.

Fear not, looks like it will live again.

Good news for Kolmarden!

It seems that Wildfire doesn't need to be torn down anymore

They just need to modify the zoning plan, so when they get everything cleaned up, the coaster will operate again.

sources: http://tjock.se/passet/art/360548/kolmrden_slipper_riva_wildfire/

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=160&artikel=6615429

http://themeparkfreaks.eu/2017/01/wildfire-in-kolmarden-blijft-bespaart-van-de-sloophamer/

The construction site on this thing continues to grow and change rapidly. They have dug some huge pits that seemingly have footers going into them. Could be a huge drop or tunnel involved. The concept pitches made a big deal about a "plunge", now the question is how big and how steep.

The park opens next week. I'll be there next weekend to grab some photos, along with numerous others I suspect. I hope we can keep a consistent stream of photo updates, because this could be the most exciting project of 2018.

^The barren hillside is the theme. The rides name is Wildfire. The fire stripped the area of trees. Hence, theme.

What's not to get?

Except Wildfire isn't actually themed after a fire. It's themed after a crazy inventor's flying contraption of some sort that runs off a new fuel which is dubbed "Wildfire".

Trees and coasters are hard to mix. Obviously you can't have branches come anywhere near the track, nor can they hang over, nor can they be so close that they even have a chance of growing too close. The only way to mix the two is to build tall, which would be super expensive just to save a few trees. Everyone will complain about the view being ruined, but no one comes for the trees anymore...

Except Wildfire isn't actually themed after a fire. It's themed after a crazy inventor's flying contraption of some sort that runs off a new fuel which is dubbed "Wildfire".

Thank God we got that cleared up.

It's true that nobody comes to the park specifically for the trees. However, a lack of trees can significantly hinder a park's atmosphere. For instance, the back side of Dollywood pales in comparison to the front in terms of park appearance because of the shortage of trees.

I'm not knocking SDC on their construction site as I can imagine the cost of construction being much higher if they wanted to save a few trees, but if the setting does not return to its wooded feeling, it can potentially harm the atmosphere of this area, especially for Thunderation.

It's true that nobody comes to the park specifically for the trees. However, a lack of trees can significantly hinder a park's atmosphere. For instance, the back side of Dollywood pales in comparison to the front in terms of park appearance because of the shortage of trees.

I'm not knocking SDC on their construction site as I can imagine the cost of construction being much higher if they wanted to save a few trees, but if the setting does not return to its wooded feeling, it can potentially harm the atmosphere of this area, especially for Thunderation.

Yep, that about sums up what I was trying to say.

Either way, I am still excited for the new addition to the park!!! I can't wait for the announcement!!

Well, they plant a few new trees anyway... it's a far cry from the old way of doing things where the park stayed in the woods. Even Outlaw Run's area is mostly open concrete. Not sure why it's being used as a good example. Grand Expo had some trees grow in too, but it still doesn't feel the same either. At least that was a parking lot originally.

I mean, it's still better than other parks, but the whole "city in the trees" concept is dead and being phased out with each project. It's just not economically worth saving when you are building for many times the guests that the original park was intended for. I don't like it either, but I try to counter my enthusiasm with reality, otherwise I'd get depressed about a lot of the changes that have been made recently. Only more of it coming, but a lot of good stuff will make up for it.

Lots of little (and some large) changes throughout the park this year, or so I've been told. Tree house is gone, new entrance for TNT, and changes around the entrance area, among other things. The employees have been working hardcore the last couple of weeks to get everything ready. Park opens in 6 days!

Hmm, so judging by that news article, SDC has also filed for the name "Top Dog", which to me sounds like it would be the "rodeo" theme:

Silver Dollar City's newest, secret attraction might be called "Time Traveler." Or "Top Dog." Or something completely different.

So it looks like they are indeed messing with us enthuisiasts.

Personally, I still think they're ultimately going to go with the silver mine theme. It would fit in the best IMO (especially with the revelation that the track will cross over Thunderation), it's already been pretty heavily alluded to that SDC would really like to make its own version of Mystery Mine, and judging by the responses for it on this and other fan sites I would be pretty surprised if one of the other two themes really did win out in the survey.

As for the rumored spinning, if it were me, I would opt for the turntable platform loading option shown in the Mack Xtreme Spinning Coaster promo video, and have there be a non-spinning side of the station - both to increase capacity and so the many people who are skeptical about putting spinning cars on a Blue Fire-esque layout can still ride it. It would be easy enough to work it into the theme with something like a "Choose your ride vehicle" split in the queue.

I really hope they don't go with top dog or anything like it. I feel that the current name rumors have came straight from some 6 year old's Nolimits coaster videos on YouTube. In other words, I just feel the names are just a little basic. I just hope it's something better than what's been rumored so far.

^Weren't there a couple of names filed for Outlaw Run before they decided on Outlaw Run as well? And it'll be awhile before I forget that Carowinds filed the trademark name "Centurion" long before Fury 325 before it was officially revealed.

In any case, I agree 100%...which is why I'm hoping that this is what's happening with these "names" for this new coaster.

"Time Traveler", "Wild Mountain", and "Mountain Wings" are the only unused coaster names that HFEC has registered right now, that I know of. Top Dog is a different trademark that is going to be used in the FL area I think.

I think Time Traveler is the name. Could surprise us at the last minute, but we are only a few months away from the grand reveal. They do like to change their minds regardless though, so who knows.

I hope the roller coaster is great, the themeing is great, and it provides an overall perfect experience, but I hope it has a God awful name.. That way it will bother the sh*t out of people who care way too much about irrelevant things like the coaster's name.

Crossing my fingers for "Top Dog," "Spinning Roller Coaster," or even "Raging Boner Mobile."

I hope the roller coaster is great, the themeing is great, and it provides an overall perfect experience, but I hope it has a God awful name.. That way it will bother the sh*t out of people who care way too much about irrelevant things like the coaster's name.

Crossing my fingers for "Top Dog," "Spinning Roller Coaster," or even "Raging Boner Mobile."

My vote is for "Raging Boner Mobile" so people will have to say they can't wait to ride a Raging Boner at SDC