TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Looks like footers are continuing to show up on the construction site for the new coaster

http://tinyurl.com/SDC2018-dec2016

Discussion around the interweb pretty much has this being a Mack launched spinner coaster. Not sure how I feel about that, but I think it will be a quality addition to the park's line up. Wish the park would give us some details.

^ I love how two of those rides involve water lol!

I love how those two are the oldest rides in the park of which nothing similar has been built since. I still wonder, why not add more enclosed rides? And not just at SDC, why not every park? It surely doesn't add on that much cost to the initial expense for some of these big rides, and it saves money on wear and tear while also making them more popular and the park more marketable for questionable weather days.

But anyway, as for the new coaster it seems like nothing has really been done in the last month. They have been going in short spurts since August. I wonder what next year's schedule will look like construction wise? Get it all done early or drag it out? probably the latter.

I still wonder, why not add more enclosed rides? And not just at SDC, why not every park? It surely doesn't add on that much cost to the initial expense for some of these big rides, and it saves money on wear and tear while also making them more popular and the park more marketable for questionable weather days.

For every benefit created by having an indoor ride, there are negatives. For example, enclosed buildings are subject to much stricter and costly fire and safety code regulations. Major repairs to enclosed rides could make rehab difficult (replacing big parts in a tiny workspace).

If it was a no brainer more parks would do it, however I do foresee more on the way as parks look to extend their seasons.

^Perhaps, but I've worked as a structural EIT before, and it seems like simple metal structures are so easy to order and throw together these days. Fireproofing and scaling for routine work shouldn't be terribly difficult either. For SDC there would be lots of theming involved which might be the cost breaker, but the building itself should in theory be pretty easy and save/generate money in other ways. But then again I know nothing about business, and there's definitely some missing link that makes the whole idea unpalatable otherwise everyone would be doing it. Still, FITH and Flooded Mine have been at it for 50 seasons now...

I think it's one of those things where there will be that first park that breaks the ice by going through the process of figuring out all the hurdles and getting it done. Then all the parks will jump on the fad again.

Metal structures are great for coasters the size of a Wild Mouse, but I'd be surprised if it'd be cheap and easy to build a building around a 100ft+ coaster, especially one that winds down the side of a giant hill.

Disaster Transport was probably one of the better examples of this, but it didn't really catch on. Disney does it to an extent, but only for their highly themed portions of rides.

From SDC's Facebook:

Congratulations Thunderation!

This classic wooden roller coaster recently just hit 1 million riders for the year!

I feel like that's a pretty high number for SDC!!

That is quite high! Gotta give it to Thunderation's steller ride ops who are always getting the trains out as quick as humanly possible. In all my visits, i have maybe seen the train stack once, and that was because someone didnt want to give up their purse.

That is very good. It's also a very high capacity ride. Being SDC's first major roller coaster, it was designed to carry the park's roller coaster demand single handedly, and did so for 6 years. If it's dispatched quickly enough, it could do well over a million--and they've had an all-star crew on it this year.

ThuNderaTion I believe the most intense arrow mine train in existence. That should say something in itself for being one of the best of its kind.

I just wish you could still ride it backwards!!

Regardless, you are correct it's a very intense mine train!! And so much fun!!

ThuNderaTion I believe the most intense arrow mine train in existence. That should say something in itself for being one of the best of its kind.

I just wish you could still ride it backwards!!

Regardless, you are correct it's a very intense mine train!! And so much fun!!

So, what was the reason they did turn the cars back forwards? That wasn't too long ago either?

So, what was the reason they did turn the cars back forwards? That wasn't too long ago either?

From what I've heard it was because of "insurance" reasons. Not sure how accurate that is though, so take it with a grain of salt.

They got a new insurance company that required it, or so I've heard from employees. I believe it was 2010 when they got rid of the backwards cars. I still hear people talk about them, as recently as last week.

I don't know what the insurance company would know, but they could be a theme park insurance company. Lots of people do talk about those cars. My last visit we were behind a family walking up the stairs to the station and the parents were telling their kids about the backwards cars, but it wasn't until their turn to ride that they realized they were gone.

They got a new insurance company that required it, or so I've heard from employees. I believe it was 2010 when they got rid of the backwards cars. I still hear people talk about them, as recently as last week.

I don't know what the insurance company would know, but they could be a theme park insurance company. Lots of people do talk about those cars. My last visit we were behind a family walking up the stairs to the station and the parents were telling their kids about the backwards cars, but it wasn't until their turn to ride that they realized they were gone.

Basically the manufacturer never built the train intending it to be run backwards thus there is more liability on the park if something goes wrong. If the train is run as intended by the manufacturer then there is shared liability

Asking for a friend: how are the road conditions in the Branson area in early March? Especially in the mountains/hills. They're potentially looking at going to SDC's opening weekend but don't trust the brakes on their car. Should they get the brakes looked at prior to their trip?

To add, I really hope you are kidding. Their trip is 3 months away and their brakes are questionable? If not for their own sake, the lives of others on the road. Imagine going to a park and the brakes on a coaster are in doubt, but hey, they " might be" good for another 3 months. Would you trust that ?

Asking for a friend: how are the road conditions in the Branson area in early March? Especially in the mountains/hills. They're potentially looking at going to SDC's opening weekend but don't trust the brakes on their car. Should they get the brakes looked at prior to their trip?

Please tell me you are joking?? There is no doubt about it that if someone doesn't trust the brakes on their car, THEY SHOULD GET THEM LOOKED AT!! Not even if it is just for taking a trip, but even for their safety, and the safety of others on the road during day to day driving. So yes, they should get their brakes looked at. . . Even if they don't make the trip. And sooner rather than later.

The area is very hilly, it's in the OZARKS. Bad brakes are bad anywhere but really bad there.