TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Has anyone on here ridden the "Runaway" alpine coaster that opened a couple of months ago? If so, how does it compare to others? How much of a crowd does it draw on a Saturday? I'll be checking it out this weekend while I'm in Branson for SDC.

Has anyone on here ridden the "Runaway" alpine coaster that opened a couple of months ago? If so, how does it compare to others? How much of a crowd does it draw on a Saturday? I'll be checking it out this weekend while I'm in Branson for SDC.

Interested to hear what you think - might check it out during the event next weekend.

Yeah I rode it Opening Weekend. I would put it in the same quality as the Smokey Mountain Alpine Coaster.

Here's how I rank the ones I've ridden

1. Smokey Mountain

2. Goat Coaster

3. Runaway

4. Spirit Mountain (MN)

5. Gatlinburg

6. Snow Mt at Ober

^^I got a chance to ride Runaway on Saturday and really liked it! It was a little bumpy but it kept up its speed very well. I even felt a little bit of floater air in some spots. Crowds were very minimal, as I only had two people in front of me at mid/late afternoon when I rode it.

^I've actually ridden the same ones, and I'd probably agree with your ranking. It's been almost 3 years since I did the one at Spirit Mountain, though.

• 2 weeks later...

SDC_Project2018

Manufacturer: Mack Rides

Type: Xtreme Spinning Coaster (Custom)

Lift Height: 82 ft

Highest Drop: 105 ft

Max Angle of Descent: 49 degrees

Max Speed: 53 mph

Track Length: 3,150 ft

Inversions: 2 (Sidewinder and Inline Twist)

Ride Time: 2 min 20 sec

Min Height Requirement: 48 inches

Misc Features:

*Spinning cars themed to mine carts. 4 riders per car, 4 cars per train.

*LSM Launch (0-47 mph in 1.8 seconds)

*82 foot dual-platform elevator lift

So if this is in fact true, it sounds like this will indeed be like a cross between Cobra's Curse, Mystery Mine, and Verbolten. Doesn't say whether or not the cars will actually spin the entire ride, or if it'll have a backwards section or anything like that. From the sound of it, the silver mine theme won out in the polls, and I agree that was my favorite one too (though I have to admit the time travel one would've been pretty funny & amusing). Regardless, it sure sounds like it'll be an awesome family coaster that will fit in very well with the rest of the park's lineup! SDC is still a park on my must-visit list, so I guess I'll have to make the drive up to Branson in 2018 to check this thing out!

..............PSYCHE!!! GOTCHA!!!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist, I'm getting bored here with the off season and the prospect of a fairly uninteresting 2017 season save for Wave Breaker)

Seriously though, I think something like this would be awesome, especially if the level of theming is as good as it seems like it will be...fingers crossed.

Edited by JFrombaugh

So anyway....

Went to Branson yesterday. Fritz's Adventure is putting the finishing touches on their parking lot. They're supposed to be opening this weekend, but there's a lot to do still. Lots of people working, though, so hoping them the best! Will definitely be visiting once it's open.

Rode the Runaway. It was only my second alpine coaster, the first being at Spirit Mountain in Duluth, MN, this summer. This one is much faster and much more intense. It was fairly slow this afternoon, so I was far enough behind that I could go full speed the whole way, and it really felt wild going that fast. Two double downs produced airtime, and two helices (not a double helix, they're quite a ways apart) produce some pretty extreme laterals. Get down to Branson to ride this!

Not that any of this is helpful or new information, but at the recent ACE event, Brad Thomas (President, SDC) spoke of the upcoming expansion for 2018 and said they will announce it in August and it will be "like no other". He referenced the area work was being done by Thunderation. Makes me think whatever it will be, it will be unique.

I know I've mentioned this before already, and I apologize for being repetitive, but I really hope this is not a spinning coaster. I feel this way for several reasons, but mostly for the selfish reason of spinning makes me sick and I really want this to be a coaster I can enjoy! Is there anyone else that feels my pain lol?

^ I personally don't find that to be sad. It hasn't been utilized in many years.

I think for the purists it's sad because that's one more legacy landmark gone.

It's a slippery slope

Well, knowing SDC and Herschend, what ever is done to replace it will not disappoint whether it be a new attraction on theming.

I really hope this is not a spinning coaster. I feel this way for several reasons, but mostly for the selfish reason of spinning makes me sick and I really want this to be a coaster I can enjoy! Is there anyone else that feels my pain lol?

If it makes you feel any better, the concepts sounded like it would be a love child of Blue Fire & Cobra's Curse.

As long as it's not one of the new ones that Mack showed off at IAAPA this year, I'm happy.

I really hope this is not a spinning coaster. I feel this way for several reasons, but mostly for the selfish reason of spinning makes me sick and I really want this to be a coaster I can enjoy! Is there anyone else that feels my pain lol?

If it makes you feel any better, the concepts sounded like it would be a love child of Blue Fire & Cobra's Curse.

As long as it's not one of the new ones that Mack showed off at IAAPA this year, I'm happy.

I don't suppose with this much land cleared it will be anything small like what MACK showed off at IAAPA, unless there is a large new area along with it, and which, in that case, shame on SDC for clearing the woods concealing Thunderation.

Edited by RollerManic

^ I personally don't find that to be sad. It hasn't been utilized in many years.

I think for the purists it's sad because that's one more legacy landmark gone.

It's a slippery slope

I have fond memories of Huck Finn's Hideaway as a kid, but I've been waiting for them to do something with that space. It can't be used ever again in its current form, so literally anything is better than what it is now.

I have no use for so-called "purists" who decry everything new as anathema. I've been going to SDC since the 80s, and I will gladly say the park is the best it has ever been--precisely because of their approach to rides. From the beginning they've invested in the most exciting, highest budget rides they could afford, going back to the train, the Flooded Mine, and Jim Owens' Float Trip. These were pretty kick-ass for the 60s, especially for a place that was still essentially a cave tour operator.

So for all the "purists": Slippery slope is a logical fallacy, and Gatsby complex is a psychological disorder. Things are better now than they were 20 years ago, not the other way around. They're better because people had ideas and worked hard and made it better. Change is inevitable, and trying to stop change is a sign of mental illness. If you have some constructive input, please contribute. But if all you're going to do is whine about how everything went downhill after 1992, then get out of our way, because we're here to have a good time.

Edited by ytterbiumanalyst

I know I've mentioned this before already, and I apologize for being repetitive, but I really hope this is not a spinning coaster. I feel this way for several reasons, but mostly for the selfish reason of spinning makes me sick and I really want this to be a coaster I can enjoy! Is there anyone else that feels my pain lol?

GET OUT OF MY HEAD, VONNI!!

This is a huge project. I know it's tough to get excited when it's not even for next season, but when the track arrives there should start tp be some serious hype around this ride.

Some parts have already arrived.

There is a HUGE difference between TRACK and "some parts."

As much as I HATE spinning coasters, if this turns out to be an amazing version of Cobras Curse (where the spinning doesn't seem to make you want to puke) then I'll be 100% happy with this addition.

Thankfully we visit the park every other weekend, so as construction starts to progress more and more next season I'll be able to provide us with some consistent photo construction updates. Not to mention I feel like next season is when this ride will really start taking shape!