TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Just so I'm clear... It is now a definite fact, from some official source, that there will NOT be a new coaster in 2017? Because I had ruled out going to SDC later this year, due to a new coaster coming next year, since I have a large family, and am always very low on discretionary income for coaster odysseys , and can not reasonably expect to go to a place as far away as SDC in consecutive years. Thanks in advance for the clarification!

I'll agree with that for coasters, but for flats?

Other than the Grand Expo - I'd say yes.

So a Screamin' Swing and S&S Shot Tower aren't "normal" rides you can't get anywhere else? SDC Themes the heck out of these things and makes them special, the same would go for a Starflyer if they built one.

Silver Dollar City could work their usual magic on any flat ride to make it unique. Many parks have an S&S shot tower or swing including six flags and cedar fair parks, yet no one has complained about SDC's versions being unoriginal or cookie cutter. I think Silver Dollar City could make a star flyer work. They can practically theme any ride to fit in if they have the money and effort to do so, which they do have. Now, I know that something like a star flyer isn't coming anytime soon, but I think it would work good here.

Just so I'm clear... It is now a definite fact, from some official source, that there will NOT be a new coaster in 2017? Because I had ruled out going to SDC later this year, due to a new coaster coming next year, since I have a large family, and am always very low on discretionary income for coaster odysseys , and can not reasonably expect to go to a place as far away as SDC in consecutive years. Thanks in advance for the clarification!

Everything at this point has just been speculation. There has been nothing confirmed from an official source on a new coaster coming, or not coming in 2017. The only thing we have to go by right now are the stakes in the ground that say "E. Coaster" and a lot of land clearing.

Everything at this point has just been speculation. There has been nothing confirmed from an official source on a new coaster coming, or not coming in 2017. The only thing we have to go by right now are the stakes in the ground that say "E. Coaster" and a lot of land clearing.

During the OutLaw Run Rendezvous with ACE, we were told to "...Come back in 2018, because something big is coming" This was told to us by the park President. I would't bet on any coaster being built and ridden in 2017. Plan accordingly.

They also asked us to vote for them to host the Coaster Convention in 2018. Why? Because they are opening a new coaster that year.

Anyone else think that one of those 400 ft. star flyers at SDC would be the greatest ride of all time?

I think a smaller one would work great! Give the tower a brown paint scheme, theme the heck out of it and it would be a winner!

You guys are missing the point of SDC. This is not a Six Flags or Cedar Fair park. Would you ask if Disneyland was going to add a starflyer? No you wouldn't. Use the same thinking when asking "Would SDC add..." here because that's usually the same case

This exactly. They do things differently.

Yeah the signs and speculation have been more strongly pointing toward one of these lately, which I am on the fence about.

560x315.jpg

I wouldn't mind them getting an S&S 4D Coaster though, the park already has a good relationship with them and currently has four S&S attractions including two coasters. I wouldn't mind seeing them get something original built from the ground up.

Edited by sdcfan88

Only one of SDC's coasters is S&S, and it's Powder Keg. And half that ride isn't even S&S anyway.

Also, let me just say that I massively preferred SDC to Magic Kingdom. The setting is better, the theming is just as good imo, the rides are better, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get in. I liked WDW, don't get me wrong, but SDC was so much more fun to me. Maybe it's just me idk

currently has four S&S attractions including two coasters.

Are you counting Thunderation?

S&S and Arrow merged in the early 2000's. They took over its supply and maintainence for whatever the park cannot do and the common story from employees was that S&S inspectors were also partly responsible for making the park turn around the backwards coaster cars as they were not as Arrow had originally intended. Yes it's an Arrow built Coaster but I referenced it as S&S solely because they oversee Arrows surviving assets.

As for PowderKeg yes the large helix and lift hill is leftover from the Buzzsaw Falls attraction. So it goes back to what I was saying that the park could benefit from an S&S coaster purely built from the ground up.

Silver Dollar City could work their usual magic on any flat ride to make it unique. Many parks have an S&S shot tower or swing including six flags and cedar fair parks, yet no one has complained about SDC's versions being unoriginal or cookie cutter. I think Silver Dollar City could make a star flyer work. They can practically theme any ride to fit in if they have the money and effort to do so, which they do have. Now, I know that something like a star flyer isn't coming anytime soon, but I think it would work good here.

SDC had a perfect park for a star flyer, they closed it prematurely instead finding the right operating model or it.

They could use some themed up enclosed flats especially with the Christmas Season being more and more important to their bottom line. I think that's why so many ethusiast that frequest the park would love to see a new indoor coaster as well.

Anyone else think that one of those 400 ft. star flyers at SDC would be the greatest ride of all time?

I think a smaller one would work great! Give the tower a brown paint scheme, theme the heck out of it and it would be a winner!

You guys are missing the point of SDC. This is not a Six Flags or Cedar Fair park. Would you ask if Disneyland was going to add a starflyer? No you wouldn't. Use the same thinking when asking "Would SDC add..." here because that's usually the same case

The 400 ft. versions have a more industrial look that I think could work great in Grand Exposition. Maybe I'm in the minority but I think that would look great and fit in great.

Let's not forgot that the primary rumor a few months ago was a giga coaster.

The 400 ft. versions have a more industrial look that I think could work great in Grand Exposition. Maybe I'm in the minority but I think that would look great and fit in great.

extrene minority. I don't want to see the outside world when I'm in the park. I'm still ticked about the condos that got built on the hill that can now be seen from Wildfire

Okay... would Disneyland build the world's only wood coaster with inversions? I guess by your logic they would.

It would fall into the "one of a kind experience" that I am talking about

Look if you want to be an @$$hole you're going to find an exception but for the most part SDC doesn't just install cookie cutter rides and that's what a lot of the posters have been suggesting.

Besides Outlaw Run, let's look at SDC's last 3 non-kiddie rides added.

Would Disneyland add an S&S Shot Tower?

Would Disneyland add a SplashBattle?

Would Disneyland add a Giant Swing?

You've been temporarily banned before due to your antagonistic attitude towards others who that don't agree with you, so please drop the name calling.

SDC I find to be the perfect balance between theme park and thrill park. They aren't going to be exactly like Disney, nor are they going to be exactly like Six Flags. They're somewhere in the middle and they do it perfectly.

currently has four S&S attractions including two coasters.

Are you counting Thunderation?

Yes it's an Arrow built Coaster but I referenced it as S&S solely because they oversee Arrows surviving assets.

That's what I thought you meant, but I've seriously never heard anyone refer to an Arrow coaster as an S&S. Thunderation was built by Arrow 10 years before S&S acquired the company. S&S really has nothing to do with it other than supplying replacement parts.

Yeah, some enthusiasts took their wishes out of their butts and plopped them on the Internet. There was never a shred of evidence to substantiate that at all.

The problem with wanting SDC to get these super-tall rides is that the park is so immersive in its theming that something that huge, visible from all over the park, would actually detract from the experience unless it were similarly very well themed. They've proven with Giant Barn Swing that they can do that, but they spent a lot to do it, and that was pre-recession too. In general, all parks are spending less right now because the economy is only just beginning to recover and a return on gigantic, super-expensive things just isn't likely to happen for a lot of places.

Okay... would Disneyland build the world's only wood coaster with inversions? I guess by your logic they would.

Look if you want to be an @$$hole you're going to find an exception but for the most part SDC doesn't just install cookie cutter rides and that's what a lot of the posters have been suggesting.

You've been temporarily banned before due to your antagonistic attitude towards others who that don't agree with you, so please drop the name calling.

It wasn't an antagonistic attitude post - or at least that wasn't the point of the post. Also, I wasn't calling him an asshole, I was saying that anyone COULD be an asshole and find an exception to the rule if they nitpick enough (a huge difference from name calling).

The discussion has actually been pretty controlled on both sides. We have what I would consider "SDC purists" trying to explain the park philosophy to those that are not as acquainted. I also think that the three rides that you mentioned are far from cookie-cutter which is what the whole point of the discussion was trying to get across.

The problem with wanting SDC to get these super-tall rides is that the park is so immersive in its theming that something that huge, visible from all over the park, would actually detract from the experience unless it were similarly very well themed. They've proven with Giant Barn Swing that they can do that, but they spent a lot to do it, and that was pre-recession too. In general, all parks are spending less right now because the economy is only just beginning to recover and a return on gigantic, super-expensive things just isn't likely to happen for a lot of places.

Exactly.

The hostility on these threads can throttle from 0-100 in seconds.